Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I'm reading the same book as the OP, Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King, and I'm really not enjoying it. There's a lot of violence and a theme of retribution running though it and I'm uncomfortable with both of those. Two stories out of four and I'm considering giving it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

"Naughty nomad: not your typical backpacker story",travel stories from an Irish backpacker.all I can say about this is, if this lads stories are true which he claims he deserves a film made out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Running with the firm- My double life as an undercover Football Hooligan

Basically a true story about an undercover copper within a Millwall Hooligan gang

If anyone has seen ID this book is similar

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Started reading A Feast for Crows, then I picked up A Dance With Dragons too.

Now I'm reading them both at the same time because they're simulataneous. AFFC is a bit boring too so ADWD keeps it interesting.

I'm using this reading order: http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

It's like reading one 2000 page book.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Misery by Stephen king. Love it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson. It's his account of growing up in the US in the 1950s. It's fantastic and laugh out loud in parts. This is my 4th Bryson book and it's very enjoyable as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent, set in 1800s Iceland. Very interesting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

The Worst Date Ever: or How It Took A Comedy Writer to Expose Africa's Secret War - Jane Bussmann
    This is a very unusual book. Bussmann was miserably-employed as a celebrity journalist in Hollywood when Ashton Kutcher got her fired. (Seriously).

She stumbled into more serious journalism in a chance meeting and suddenly found herself in Uganda, learning about Kony and his "Invisible Children" and how Kony himself really isn't the biggest issue.

It's a very funny book (I had to put it down to laugh more than once) but it is also deadly serious in its intent. Bussmann was a "Brass Eye" writer and it shows. These are real bad things Bussmann writes about. Real children being brutalised and weaponised and real politicians floundering about the place while they try not to damage their relationship with Uganda. It's a book that's very difficult to explain but it's definitely worth it

Picked this up on your recommendation and don't know what to make of it. 2 thirds of the way through, the tone is all over the place and she just comes across as an @rsehole.

I say this as a hu-uge fan of "Brasseye" and all Morris/Iannucci endeavors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Birneybau wrote: »
    Picked this up on your recommendation and don't know what to make of it. 2 thirds of the way through, the tone is all over the place and she just comes across as an @rsehole.

I say this as a hu-uge fan of "Brasseye" and all Morris/Iannucci endeavors.
    I read it as her being extremely self-deprecating about how out of her depth she was by making these kind of ill-informed statements and portraying this self-involved persona while these horrors were unfolding around her, in a way poking fun at how ridiculous the whole situation is, that it's being allowed to continue (Kony and the corruption, etc) but I suppose it's not for everyone.

So sorry to hear you're not enjoying it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

1Q84 - Haruki Murakami

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just finished The Hot Zone as i'd seen it mentioned on boards a few times. Very interesting and a little scary.

Moving onto some Raymond E Feist

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I read it as her being extremely self-deprecating about how out of her depth she was by making these kind of ill-informed statements and portraying this self-involved persona while these horrors were unfolding around her, in a way poking fun at how ridiculous the whole situation is, that it's being allowed to continue (Kony and the corruption, etc) but I suppose it's not for everyone.

So sorry to hear you're not enjoying it! :(

The constant need to make flippant jokes is very off-putting, as is the imagined romance with the John guy. I take your point but just can't warm to her.

Thanks for the recommendation though, I've read worse.

Anyway, I finished "The Luminaries" which was a slog and I'm not sure if it was actually worth it. Read "An Examined Life" alongside it. Still reading "Tenth of December" on and off and have "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides up next. Really enjoyed "The Marriage Plot" by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The constant need to make flippant jokes is very off-putting, as is the imagined romance with the John guy. I take your point but just can't warm to her.

I also bought this on FouxDaFaFa's recommendation but it's at the end of a queue so will be a while before I get to it. Could be a strongly worded PM on the way if it's **** :p

Finished "Live at the Brixton Academy" by Simon Parkes and found it quite funny. One for anyone who likes a good rock 'n' roll story.

Currently reading Stephen King's "It". Decided it was time to start some of his books so read "The Shining" a couple of weeks ago. Easing myself in with books that I have seen the movie of. The TV mini-series of "It" left me with a deep mistrust of clowns when I was a kid and really enjoying the book.

Think I may be King's newest fan and will definitely be reading more. Brilliant story-teller and can't believe it took me so long to start reading him.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Chopper reid "he's a right cheeky lil bugger" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

"The charming quirks of others"
    Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Collie D wrote: »
    I also bought this on FouxDaFaFa's recommendation but it's at the end of a queue so will be a while before I get to it. Could be a strongly worded PM on the way if it's **** :p
    The pressure is too great! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm onto Dragon Haven, the second in The Rain Wilds Chronicles by Robin Hobb.

It's been a long time since a book gripped me like this, I'm really engrossed in it. I even shed a few tears the other night because I was afraid someone was going to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard Bernstein and (in the bathroom) a book on Tartans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Ronan O'Gara's first book, My Autobiography.

I know there's a lot of character flaw stuff that's been left out which is niggling. However, the rugby side of things is fantastic. He's great at describing the various characters and the mental side of the game. Overall a very good read. Perfect antidote to the heavier stuff I've been reading lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 swanronson

Read Crime and Punishment for the first time a couple of weeks ago, was expecting it to be a heavy read but it wasn't at all, really enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Anyway, I finished "The Luminaries" which was a slog and I'm not sure if it was actually worth it. Read "An Examined Life" alongside it. Still reading "Tenth of December" on and off and have "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides up next. Really enjoyed "The Marriage Plot" by him.

Fair play to ya then because I got about 33% into it (according to the Kindle) and gave up. Found it uneventful and far too dragged out. It seemed she purposely wrote extra long sentences just to set the record for longest Booker Prize winning novel.

Reading the previously recommended Lies of Locke Lamora now and find it a brilliant read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard Bernstein and (in the bathroom) a book on Tartans.
    Crap book?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Recently finished The Guts by Roddy Doyle, loved it. May have to re-read his older stuff soon.
    Over halfway through A Time To Kill by John Grisham (his first novel) and am enjoying it a lot more than the others of his that I've read. Not a great fan of his style but the storylines are always great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

dee_mc wrote: »
    Recently finished The Guts by Roddy Doyle, loved it. May have to re-read his older stuff soon.
    Over halfway through A Time To Kill by John Grisham (his first novel) and am enjoying it a lot more than the others of his that I've read. Not a great fan of his style but the storylines are always great.

I've read a few of Doyle's including the original Barrytown Trilogy and The Guts is probably the best although the Snapper and The Van are great too. Wasn't a massive fan of The Commitments book even though it's probably my favourite Irish movie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Collie D wrote: »
    I've read a few of Doyle's including the original Barrytown Trilogy and The Guts is probably the best although the Snapper and The Van are great too. Wasn't a massive fan of The Commitments book even though it's probably my favourite Irish movie

Same as that, I couldn't get into The Commitments but really loved The Van, I can barely remember The Snapper so that's top of my list to read again! The Guts, to me, is a fantastic book. The characters are very real and likeable. I always hate the way his dialogue is written at first but after the first 30 pages or so I don't notice it anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Vojera wrote: »
    I'm onto Dragon Haven, the second in The Rain Wilds Chronicles by Robin Hobb.

It's been a long time since a book gripped me like this, I'm really engrossed in it. I even shed a few tears the other night because I was afraid someone was going to die.
    You realize theres 3 other trilogies you should have read first?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hobb#The_Realm_of_the_Elderlings

Well worth it, Farseer is an incredible series.

Fair play to ya then because I got about 33% into it (according to the Kindle) and gave up. Found it uneventful and far too dragged out. It seemed she purposely wrote extra long sentences just to set the record for longest Booker Prize winning novel.

Reading the previously recommended Lies of Locke Lamora now and find it a brilliant read.

Oh god, took me a month on and off, I would actually read other stuff for a break but got stuck in at 70% just to get the damn thing over with ; D

Thargor wrote: »

When I was looking that link up I found she's starting a new trilogy in the same universe this year, brilliant stuff.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18658063-fool-s-assassin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Thargor wrote: »

Yep, I read them, don't worry!

I'm only getting around to The Rain Wilds books now because I wanted to have all four of them before I started. And I'm racing through them now quicker than any books in a long time.

I'm looking forward to the new trilogy as well, even though I thought Fitz's story wound up well enough in the last books. I hope to learn more about the Fool's origins, though.

• Advertisement

I loved the Rain Wilds aswell, think I read half of one book in one sitting at work on a slow day, couldnt put them down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement