Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Really intrigued by the Robin Hobb books, have never really read any fantasy fiction, are they a good jumping-in point??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Rosie Project

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Really intrigued by the Robin Hobb books, have never really read any fantasy fiction, are they a good jumping-in point??
    They're brilliant. >50% of what I read is fantasy and Id put that series in my top 10 or 20 must reads. Game of Thrones is the best fantasy series if you're looking for something to read though, although it probably wont be finished for another few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I think they're fantastic books and what is great about them is that they're broken up into smaller cycles, which makes them a much less daunting prospect that some fantasy series.

You can read the first three books (The Farseer Trilogy) and be satisfied with those and take a break before continuing with the next three. Also, the second trilogy (The Liveship Traders) takes place in a different area and has different characters, so there's no getting fatigued of hearing the same voices over and over. Then the third trilogy (The Tawny Man) brings the worlds of the first and second trilogies together. The ones I'm reading now (The Rain Wilds) are set several years after The Tawny Man books and have new main characters.

If you're in and around Dublin Chapters usually have a fair few going second-hand upstairs, but they're in and around €7 each on Book Depository so even if you just tried the first one it's not a huge investment to get you started on a great series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Awesome, thanks you guys. Really looking forward to getting hold of them now!

As for GoT - I really couldn't cope with the level of violence/cruelty/gore in them, even though so many people say they're excellent. I was literally just about able for Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, to give you an idea of my threshold. And to be honest, I very quickly skipped over the bad parts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I have just started Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. Excellent so far.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17333319-burial-rites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

5live wrote: »
    Crap book?

:D

The book is quite interesting, actually. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I'm also reading Burial Rites and am not really enjoying it tbh. I'm not liking the style of writing and feel disconnected from the characters.

I'll stick with it though to find out what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

sadie06 wrote: »

Sounds really good! thanks for the suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Ice Storm wrote: »
    I'm also reading Burial Rites and am not really enjoying it tbh. I'm not liking the style of writing and feel disconnected from the characters.

I'll stick with it though to find out what happens.

What don't you like about the style? And I agree that some of the characters can be off-putting, but I'm liking it so far.
    sadie06 wrote: »

Have you read Margaret Atwood's 'Alias Grace'? BR really reminds me of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Count of Monte Cristo, a classic I have had on my must read list for near twenty years!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

niallo24 wrote: »
    Count of Monte Cristo, a classic I have had on my must read list for near twenty years!

Great book. Translated beautifully into gorgeous English and a great story. Bit of a brick though. If you like that you should also check out The Three Musketeers. I plan to read more of Dumas' stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have the Robin Hobb stuff on my Kindle after hearing about it on this thread but now I can't wait to finish what I'm reading at the moment and getting stuck into them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Equity and the Law of Trusts in Ireland 5th ed. by Hillary Delany (over 1000 pages). Stupid exams ):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Equity and the Law of Trusts in Ireland 5th ed. by Hillary Delany (over 1000 pages). Stupid exams ):

I hear ya. Don't think I could bring myself to read Delany, my lecture notes are dull enough :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

gutenberg wrote: »
    What don't you like about the style? And I agree that some of the characters can be off-putting, but I'm liking it so far.

Have you read Margaret Atwood's 'Alias Grace'?
    BR really reminds me of it.

I have, and you are right, it absolutely does. If she goes on to have half as good an output as Atwood, I'll be following her.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Screw that, get the nutshells book...it's only 128 pages and there's less chance of nodding off whilst reading it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Sounds like a page turner. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Do law they said , it will be fun they said...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

Eyeless in Gaza, Aldous Huxley. Good read so far after a difficult start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

Right now it's 'The Governance of Anglo-Saxon England, 500-1087' by H.R Loyn.

The joys of college exams...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

gutenberg wrote: »

Have you read Margaret Atwood's 'Alias Grace'? BR really reminds me of it.
    I'm not sure what it is that I'm not liking about Burial Rites - I just haven't got into it and can't really take it seriously. I've found myself rolling my eyes at certain expressions that have been used. It's like the author is trying too hard? I seem to be in the minority about this anyway!

I might check out that Atwood book as I've enjoyed everything of hers that I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Collie D wrote: »
    Great book. Translated beautifully into gorgeous English and a great story. Bit of a brick though. If you like that you should also check out The Three Musketeers. I plan to read more of Dumas' stuff
    Go for the whole Musketeers saga. Three altogether, books :pac:
    I read them years ago, I couldn't put them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

niallo24 wrote: »

I read this last year. It was one of those books that I was trying to tear through because it's so big, but as I got closer to the end I was trying to slow done because I didn't want it to end.

Loved it. Definitely one of my favourite books of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Riddle101

As it happens I started Game of Thrones a few days ago. Haven't watch the series yet so I want to read the books first before I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Riddle101 wrote: »
    As it happens I started Game of Thrones a few days ago. Haven't watch the series yet so I want to read the books first before I do.

I read the books first too, definately the best way to do got! Just finished The Book Thief, really touching book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mullyboyee

Just finished 'Bounce' by Matthew Sayed. Really interesting book about whether elite sports people are born or made.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

The Particle at the End of the Universe: the hunt for the Higgs. By Sean Carroll. Interesting read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Ice Storm wrote: »
    I'm not sure what it is that I'm not liking about Burial Rites - I just haven't got into it and can't really take it seriously. I've found myself rolling my eyes at certain expressions that have been used. It's like the author is trying too hard? I seem to be in the minority about this anyway!

I might check out that Atwood book as I've enjoyed everything of hers that I've read.

Alias Grace is amazing, I think it's still one of my favourite Atwood books, and books in general.

I can see where you're coming from with the very literary style of Burial Rites - but I find her descriptions of Iceland very evocative, especially the isolation. But not every book is for everyone :) Definitely try Alias Grace!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement