Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Reading 'A Feast For Crows' and 'A Dance With Dragons' by George R.R,Martin at the same time. I'm getting through it fast enough but this is the first time I've ever been bored by reading a Tyrion chapter. That and I'm actually liking the Greyjoys :O.
    Dorne's crap though

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

Enjoying it so far although some of his descriptions of people and places is a bit over the top for my liking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

judgefudge wrote: »

Enjoying it so far although some of his descriptions of people and places is a bit over the top for my liking

I'm afraid I despised that book. It started off promising enough (save for Robert's penchant for psychobabble and general insufferable narcissism but I reckon only the first third of the book was readable and by the end (900 pages!) I wanted to slit my own wrists. What page are you on?

Started Longbourn by Jo Baker last night. Not sure if I will like it or not, am only about 30 pages in so need to get stuck in to it this evening.

Merkin wrote: »
    I'm afraid I despised that book. It started off promising enough (save for Robert's penchant for psychobabble and general insufferable narcissism but I reckon only the first third of the book was readable and by the end (900 pages!) I wanted to slit my own wrists. What page are you on?

Oh no! Don't say that! I'm only on page 220 ish. Yeah his fairly narcissistic. And the description when he met Karla made me feel a little sick. But I'm hoping it gets better. I heard people either love it or hate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Bag of Bones, I've got a bit of a Stephen King streak going on for a while now. It's good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I've finally started to read 'The Count of Monte Cristo'. A book I've been longing to read for years and years and kept putting off so I could fully enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Oh no! Don't say that! I'm only on page 220 ish. Yeah his fairly narcissistic. And the description when he met Karla made me feel a little sick. But I'm hoping it gets better. I heard people either love it or hate it

The Karla stuff annoyed me too. And how he waxes lyrical about the mafia leader.

The descriptions of the places are sumptuous though and made me want to visit India (still to happen).

I also loved the section set in
    prison
    and
    when he goes off fighting with the mujahadeen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Doped by Jamie Read
    Lord Derby and his Horses by Quintin Barry
    Messi by Guillem Balague
    Danish Dynamite by Bob Smyth, Lars Eriksen, Mike Gibbons

That is so true, people tend to either rave about it or really dislike it, there is no middle ground with the book! I'll be keen to know what you think of it when you have finished it.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    The descriptions of the places are sumptuous though and made me want to visit India (still to happen).

I enjoyed the descriptions as well.

In fact I wrote a review of the book on a website when I had finished, I've copied and pasted it so you can see exactly what I thought! :)

I am presuming Roberts locked his Editor in a cupboard

This book had come recommended to me due to its almost cult following. Recommended by intelligent people whom had said to me that if I wanted to really immerse myself in a great book then this was it. How wrong they were. The book starts off promising enough with the protagonist landing in India with no great plan other than to survive. I was interested in elements of the story: the sensory descriptions of the bustling city, I found Prakaber endearing and amusing and was interested in village life as well as the tribulations of slum existence but that really is where the "story" begins and ends for me.

Because in all honesty this is not really a story, more a self-serving egotistical journey for Roberts who I am presuming locked his Editor in a cupboard so that he would have free reign in dumping a rather gargantuan, 950-word brain fart down on paper. The pop psychology, the feeble attempts at philosophy, the eagerness with which he paints the protagonist as a truly wonderful human being regardless of him being a violent ex addict and his woefully embarrassing love scenes with the utterly vile Karla all merge into a really protracted and painful book that really could have been cut down to about 250 pages. So that accounts for 700 pages of rubbish. Most of which are made up of Karla talking in riddles, akin to Joker in Batman. But with a German accent.

I adore reading, and was excited about the size of the book as there is nothing more exciting than sitting down with a thumping good read that will keep you company. This didn't so much keep me company as irritate the life out of me - I'd liken it instead to a persistent mosquito buzzing in my ear which simply won't go away. In the end you resort to killing it. Just like I did with this book. I reached in excess of 800 pages and figured life is too short so I simply pulled the plug and picked up a Steinbeck because I began to despair for humanity.

If you like reading and enjoy a good book, do not read Shantaram. It's time you'll never be able to recoup.

That is so true, people tend to either rave about it or really dislike it, there is no middle ground with the book! I'll be keen to know what you think of it when you have finished it.

I enjoyed the descriptions as well.

In fact I wrote a review of the book on a website when I had finished, I've copied and pasted it so you can see exactly what I thought! :)

I am presuming Roberts locked his Editor in a cupboard

This book had come recommended to me due to its almost cult following. Recommended by intelligent people whom had said to me that if I wanted to really immerse myself in a great book then this was it. How wrong they were. The book starts off promising enough with the protagonist landing in India with no great plan other than to survive. I was interested in elements of the story: the sensory descriptions of the bustling city, I found Prakaber endearing and amusing and was interested in village life as well as the tribulations of slum existence but that really is where the "story" begins and ends for me.

Because in all honesty this is not really a story, more a self-serving egotistical journey for Roberts who I am presuming locked his Editor in a cupboard so that he would have free reign in dumping a rather gargantuan, 950-word brain fart down on paper. The pop psychology, the feeble attempts at philosophy, the eagerness with which he paints the protagonist as a truly wonderful human being regardless of him being a violent ex addict and his woefully embarrassing love scenes with the utterly vile Karla all merge into a really protracted and painful book that really could have been cut down to about 250 pages. So that accounts for 700 pages of rubbish. Most of which are made up of Karla talking in riddles, akin to Joker in Batman. But with a German accent.

I adore reading, and was excited about the size of the book as there is nothing more exciting than sitting down with a thumping good read that will keep you company. This didn't so much keep me company as irritate the life out of me - I'd liken it instead to a persistent mosquito buzzing in my ear which simply won't go away. In the end you resort to killing it. Just like I did with this book. I reached in excess of 800 pages and figured life is too short so I simply pulled the plug and picked up a Steinbeck because I began to despair for humanity.

If you like reading and enjoy a good book, do not read Shantaram. It's time you'll never be able to recoup.

Ha! Brain fart! :D
    Excellent review though. Prabaker is indeed endearing, I like how he and his family are depicted. I loved the part where he was living in the slum. I did find it took me about four months to wade through it (OK I was writing a thesis at the same time so had other stuff to read) - the quasi-yogi type stuff he spouts from time to time was hard to get through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That's such a shame, I've had Shantaram on my wishlist on BD forever :(

Seriously BW, do not let that put you off. I know so many people who love the book and the reviews of it are predominantly very favorable indeed. It just really grated on me and I disliked it, most people don't.

Did you enjoy the Truman Capote book you ordered a while ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Seriously BW, do not let that put you off. I know so many people who love the book and the reviews of it are predominantly very favorable indeed. It just really grated on me and I disliked it, most people don't.

Did you enjoy the Truman Capote book you ordered a while ago?
    I did! It was great. Really loved it.

I got confused for a min and thought you were asking about your man who wrote the book about fishing.
    I am enjoying that but by god he goes on and on about the fishing. I've to read it in short sections, it's not a book I can sit down and eat.

I read Night Music the other day by that woman whose name I forget, jojo or something. Wasn't bad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I just started re-reading Terry Pratchett's Night Watch after finishing his new book with Stephen Baxter, The Long War, which I was hugely disappointed with. I don't know is it that
    the world(s) are so large that too much of the book is taken up with politics, or just that Pterry's health is at the point where he really shouldn't have started such a large project and Baxter just isn't good enough to cover it,
    but I'm finding this serious very tedious reading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

The wind up bird chronical- Haruki Murakami

Only 250 pages or so in, nothing really has happened but it is severely engrossing.It feels like one of those books that will blow me away at the end,I just hope it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Really struggling to get through A Dance with Dragons, Brans chapters bore the tits off me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

The Bible:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Hootanany wrote: »
    The Bible:cool:

New International or King James? Not religious at all myself but keep meaning to read the latter as I know a huge amount of English literature & wider culture has been influenced by its use of language.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Prabaker is indeed endearing, I like how he and his family are depicted. I loved the part where he was living in the slum. I did find it took me about four months to wade through it (OK I was writing a thesis at the same time so had other stuff to read) - the quasi-yogi type stuff he spouts from time to time was hard to get through.

I do like prabaker I have to say. However, I found the part where he moved to the slums a bit far fetched. He was there a day and already he's like some sort of slum hero administering medical aid to severely injured people..... It just made me think ah C'mon?

Merkin, great review but Jaysus I'm not looking forward to the next 700 pages now at all!

Honestly m'dear, don't let it put you off. There are some chinks of light, namely the part highlighted by Aglomerado so keep an open mind, like I said, lots of people love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Custardpi wrote: »
    New International or King James? Not religious at all myself but keep meaning to read the latter as I know a huge amount of English literature & wider culture has been influenced by its use of language.

1611 King James Pulpit Folio First Edition Bible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Just finished Red on Red by Edward Conlon.Gripping enough stuff for 3/4's of the book but kind of tails off towards the end,enjoyable all the same though.

Plan on starting Dubliners by James Joyce this evening,been meaning to read it for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Rereading "The Illustrated Man" by Ray Bradbury

Then going from that to RASL by Jeff Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Jerusalem, The Biography. Simon Sebag Montefiore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I would say Shantaram is the biggest pile of drivel I've ever read. I have no idea how I managed to finish the thing. Shantaram is a big commitment in terms of reading but I can safely say it was the least rewarding book I've ever read. Roberts seems to hint that many of the events in the book happened in real life but the whole thing is a swizz. His whole I became more Indian than the Indians themselves angle really got on my nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

I enjoyed reading Shantaram, as I enjoy books based in India, but I didn't believe too much of it..
    File under Fiction....
    Just started Shipping News, brilliant so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

'Middlesex' by Jeffrey Eugenides.

Pulitzer prize winning tale of a hermaphrodite borne of incestuous descendents. Also contains: race riots, war and the great depression.

Enjoyable.

Birneybau wrote: »
    'Middlesex' by Jeffrey Eugenides.

Pulitzer prize winning tale of a hermaphrodite borne of incestuous descendents. Also contains: race riots, war and the great depression.

Enjoyable.
    That's a terrific book. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

mutley18 wrote: »
    Really struggling to get through A Dance with Dragons, Brans chapters bore the tits off me :(

I love Bran's :O Besides he doesn't have a lot of POVs in Dance anyways. Tyrion's finally starting to pick up some pace again.
    Daenerys gets far too many chapters for someone who does nothing for the entire book

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement