Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Barna77 wrote: »
    Hate Dickens. Had to read him in college, never liked his work

Tried last year A Tale of Two Cities. I gave up...

I also don't like Dickens. I did get through A Tale of Two Cities, but that's the only one of his I've read in its entirety.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Started on 'Child of God' By Cormac McCarthy after enjoying the Road. Creepy as hell and I've barely started, absolutely love his writing style, creates an incredible atmosphere.
    ART6 wrote: »
    "The Martian" by Andy Weir (ISBN 978-0-09195-613-4). This is not SF, although the title suggests that, and it is fiction. It's about a guy who got stranded on Mars when the first human expedition there went wrong, and it is riveting. I am half way through it, and it's causing me sleepless nights because I can't put it down.

That sounds seriously cool, definitely going on the list!

Think I'll have to pick up The Count of Monty Cristo going by all the good reviews here :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Not much of a reader but havn't been tired going to bed of late so picked up the sons copy of the hunger games also have Dan Browns inferno to read next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Off the rails in phnom Penh:into the dark heart of guns,girls and ganja by Amit gilboa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Roddy Doyle's The Guts (The Commitments sequel). Just started it.

Very high brow reading standards me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Started on 'Child of God' By Cormac McCarthy after enjoying the Road. Creepy as hell and I've barely started, absolutely love his writing style, creates an incredible atmosphere.

That sounds seriously cool, definitely going on the list!

Think I'll have to pick up The Count of Monty Cristo going by all the good reviews here :)
    I just took a pic of The Martian in a bookshop the other day to remind myself to pick it up actually and it does look very interesting, some good reviews from several authors on the back aswell iirc.

In a similiar stranded/failed colony theme have a read of Titan by Stephen Baxter, a standalone novel not in his xeelee universe but all his stuff is solid gold if you like sci-fi.

Evolution is another LotR sized standalone he wrote that tells the story of the life in the galaxy from beginning to end using different characters throughout time, amazing book aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Thargor wrote: »
    I just took a pic of The Martian in a bookshop the other day to remind myself to pick it up actually and it does look very interesting, some good reviews from several authors on the back aswell iirc.

If you have the Goodreads app and internet on your phone you can scan the barcodes and remember them for later that way, or add them straight onto your "to-read" shelf. I beep my way through every bookshop I visit! Beep! Beep! (I'm sure the staff hate me).

Good idea thanks. You have to feel sorry for the staff in bookshops these days.

Not as bad as one of my relatives who went into the Great Outdoors and did all the gait analysis stuff with one of the staff until they reccomended the perfect pair of hiking boots for him then just walked out of the shop to go buy it online.

Good idea thanks. You have to feel sorry for the staff in bookshops these days.

Not as bad as one of my relatives who went into the Great Outdoors and did all the gait analysis stuff with one of the staff until they reccomended the perfect pair of hiking boots for him then just walked out of the shop to go buy it online.

In fairness I found a really interesting looking book about the Chinese Cultural Revolution in my local Hughes and Hughes (about two months before it became an Eason) and it was €38. The exact same edition was €22 on Book Depository. I know the margin isn't normally so huge, but it's tough to shop local with prices like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Dry - Augusten Burroughs. A grimly comic memoir of a total alcoholic trying to get straight.

Also, 1st Game of Thrones book. Borrowed paperback from friend last year, too heavy to lug around, Kindle edition going cheap so picked it up.

Also, still dipping into "Twelth of December" by George Saunders short stories)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Just started The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I just finished Bag of Bones. Stayed up until 4am finishing it, it's been a long time since I read a book that had me that hooked. Stephen King can be a bit hit and miss but this one is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Merkin wrote: »
    I'm reading The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion and I'm a tad underwhelmed thusfar. It's OK and I'll finish it but I sometimes wonder whether I'm living in some parallel universe when books that receive such rave reviews often disappoint. I'd be keen to hear what others here thought of it.

I enjoyed it. Thought it quite funny, but I wouldn't be enthralled by it.

The Guts I have to say I didn't enjoy, it was funny to a point then it became a slog with us constant repetition. I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

A Heart So Big is a brilliant read, a majorly inspirational woman.

I've started a sample of a book called The Man Who Couldn't Stop, it's about a mans struggle with OCD, there seems to be bits of other peoples experiences too from what I've read. Very interesting, I'll probably buy it.

I'm looking for something to make me laugh right now though if anyone has any recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Oryx and Crake: Margaret Atwood.
    Really enjoying it, but I haven't had much time to really get my teeth into it over the last week so it feels like it's taking forever to finish.

Next up is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Blue Blood: Edward Conlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I'm about 2/3s of the way through shantaram now and struggling. Have to say I enjoyed the first half of the book once I started telling myself it was a complete work of fiction and blocking anything about the authors background out of my mind. But starting to struggle with it now.

Not sure if I'll finish it to he honest. I have Philip k Dicks Minority Report waiting to be read next and it's tempting me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

judgefudge wrote: »
    I'm about 2/3s of the way through shantaram now and struggling. Have to say I enjoyed the first half of the book once I started telling myself it was a complete work of fiction and blocking anything about the authors background out of my mind. But starting to struggle with it now.

Not sure if I'll finish it to he honest. I have Philip k Dicks Minority Report waiting to be read next and it's tempting me!!

I'm about 2/3 through it as well. Gave it a break and started Crime and Punishment.

I've told myself I'll appreciate it more after a bit of a break......

.......hopefully. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Red Plenty: Lessons from the Soviet Dream

A great book. It's a very surreal mix of novel and history. Most of the characters are historical figures; various people who lived under the 'planned economy' of the Soviet Union in the 60's. It's one of those books that is a page turner with a bibliography at the end of it. Really funny as well.

I'm finally onto Blood of Dragons by Robin Hobb, the last of the Rain Wilds books. I can see how it was only meant to be two books initially as the story is clearly delineated between the first two books and the second two, but I don't feel there has been any waffle or unnecessary detail so far. I've really enjoyed reading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

judgefudge wrote: »
    I'm about 2/3s of the way through shantaram now and struggling
    I'm about 2/3 through it as well.

That's where it just became too much for me too. It's weird because although the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the book is grating etc it is still readable but it then just becomes tiresome. I hope I didn't colour your judgement in any way when I slated it but it does seem to be a common enough thing with people who don't love it that it just becomes really insufferable from the stage you're at. I quit at about eight hundred and something pages and I've never done that with a book.

• Advertisement

Im struggling with the Count of Monte Cristo now, it really ran out of steam after the opening 25%, it got so dull when it got to the 2 nobels being polite to everyone and the bandits, hopefullly picks up again towards the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Im struggling with the Count of Monte Cristo now, it really ran out of steam after the opening 25%, it got so dull when it got to the 2 nobels being polite to everyone and the bandits, hopefullly picks up again towards the end.

Stick with it, it's one of my favourite books of all time. It took me ages to read but I didn't want it to end. Loved how many characters and story lines are linked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm reading Assassin's Apprentice, I'm at around the 70% mark and it's quite slow. Seems to be just laying the foundations somewhat? Wish it were a little more eventful.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm reading Assassin's Apprentice, I'm at around the 70% mark and it's quite slow. Seems to be just laying the foundations somewhat? Wish it were a little more eventful.

It picks up in books 2 and 3, stick with it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Just.Jessie

"Doctor Sleep" by Stephen King

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair. - Infantile stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

another of Paul Theroux, ghost star of the eastern railway. excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Just started reading Divergent, really good so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

[Edit: Double Posted - My Apologies]

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

After all the posts in this thread about The Count of Monte Cristo, as well as a thread I read yesterday on Reddit, it's next on my list :)

Half way through now...loving it. Already regretting that I'll never be able to read it for the first time again!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement