Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Company of Liars. It's the first Karen Maitland book I've read and it's excellent. A plague novel, so not particularly cheerful, but lots of twists and turns with a strong plot and hard to put down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Bought kafka on the shore by Hakuri Murakami the other day and its teasing me on the bookshelf after getting through his other book.

I was going to buy cloud atlas to see what all the hype was about but the cover was painfully girly (very shallow of me), but I couldnt whip that pink and blue cover out in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

julius caesar's gallic war

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Angry_Mammarys

Just finished Jodi Picoult - 19 minutes, It's almost identical to the columbine massacre. Her books are a bit hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭nilsonmickey

Tiger force, ****ing excellent book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Just finished Jodi Picoult - 19 minutes, It's almost identical to the columbine massacre. Her books are a bit hit and miss.

I enjoyed 19 Minutes but it wasn't her best. Definitely preferred The Pact and My Sister's Keeper.

I'm delving into The Light Between Two Oceans by ML Stedman, which I've been told is brilliant. Time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Bought kafka on the shore by Hakuri Murakami the other day and its teasing me on the bookshelf after getting through his other book.

I was going to buy cloud atlas to see what all the hype was about but the cover was painfully girly (very shallow of me), but I couldnt whip that pink and blue cover out in public.

Cloud Atlas, great book. Cover not the worst, just don't buy the official movie cover book!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I enjoyed 19 Minutes but it wasn't her best. Definitely preferred The Pact and My Sister's Keeper.

I'm delving into The Light Between Two Oceans by ML Stedman, which I've been told is brilliant. Time will tell!

Good book, didn't live up to the hype imo but worth a read.

Just finishing The Rosie Project which is alright, nothing great and about to start Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Just started the Kill List

An extraordinary cutting-edge suspense novel from the master of international intrigue and #1 New York Times–bestselling author.

In Virginia, there is an agency bearing the bland name of Technical Operations Support Activity, or TOSA. Its one mission is to track, find, and kill those so dangerous to the United States that they are on a short document known as the Kill List. TOSA actually exists. So does the Kill List.

Added to it is a new name: a terrorist of frightening effectiveness called the Preacher, who radicalizes young Muslims abroad to carry out assassinations. Unfortunately for him, one of the kills is a retired Marine general, whose son is TOSA’s top hunter of men.

He has spent the last six years at his job. He knows nothing about his target’s name, face, or location. He realizes his search will take him to places where few could survive. But the Preacher has made it personal now. The hunt is on.
    The-Kill-List.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. Looking forward to starting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sycamore Road by John Grisham

Grisham at his best, I'm enjoying it greatly

Which is good as his last book was ****e. Worst book he ever wrote imo

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Levels of Life - Julian Barnes

Very good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What do people think is the point of just naming a book without any information on it or offering an opinion or anything? I mean what is the point? Annoys me about a lot of threads in AH tbh (Worst/Best City You've Ever Been to threads recently come to mind, just people posting lists of city names with no explanation for 100 pages or whatever, fooking hell...). Particularly annoying when it comes to books though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thargor wrote: »
    What do people think is the point of just naming a book without any information on it or offering an opinion or anything? I mean what is the point? Annoys me about a lot of threads in AH tbh (Worst/Best City You've Ever Been to threads recently come to mind, just people posting lists of city names with no explanation for 100 pages or whatever, fooking hell...). Particularly annoying when it comes to books though.
    The thread title is "what book are your reading?", not "what book are you reading and please provide further comments".

I like seeing what people are reading, whether they write 3 words or 3 paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Meh, why not save time and just go to Amazon and click on random links to random books all over the place then? Guaranteed someone will be reading them and at least you'll have the blurb and a few reviews right there if it sounds interesting.

Thargor wrote: »
    Meh, why not save time and just go to Amazon and click on random links to random books all over the place then? Guaranteed someone will be reading them and at least you'll have the blurb and a few reviews right there if it sounds interesting.

I already do that on top of looking at this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The thread title is "what book are your reading?", not "what book are you reading and please provide further comments".

Proceded by 'and would ya recommend it?'

Lets be nice people. This is a wonderful thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »

I loved it, and could actually sympathise with all the main characters so makes for a wonderful, albeit tear jerking read.

I haven't read in nearly a week. Am about two thirds of the way through the Rosie Project and hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭MarriedButBi

Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K. Jerome

Written in 1889, I saw it on some Guardian all time "something" book list. It's quite funny I have to say. And it's free on Amazon/Kindle. Only read a little so not really qualified to give a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭MarriedButBi

Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K. Jerome

Written in 1889, I saw it on some Guardian all time "something" book list. It's quite funny I have to say. And it's free on Amazon/Kindle. Only read a little so not really qualified to give a recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Templars by Michael Haag - good introduction to the Knights Templar and debunks a lot of "DaVinci Code" type myths.

Also Under the Dome by Stephen King. I liked the TV series but the book is far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Has anyone got a recommendation for a good, BALANCED (as balanced and even handed as possible) book on the history of the Middle East and, in particular, the Palistine/Israel mess?

Is this any good:

A History of the Middle East - Peter Mansfield

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-History-Middle-East-4th/dp/0718199677/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401201444&sr=8-1&keywords=history+of+the+middle+east

I'd like one that covers historical (biblical if necessary) stuff as well as the right up to date stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Nearly finished "The Son" by Jo Nesbo. Not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Has anyone got a recommendation for a good, BALANCED (as balanced and even handed as possible) book on the history of the Middle East and, in particular, the Palistine/Israel mess?

Is this any good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-History-Middle-East-4th/dp/0718199677/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401201444&sr=8-1&keywords=history+of+the+middle+east

I'd like one that covers historical (biblical if necessary) stuff as well as the right up to date stuff.

I don't, but please let me know if you come across one.

If you're interested in a work of fiction based around the Palestinian conflict then one of my favourite novels EVER is Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa which really stayed with me, even though it's a few years since I read it. An absolutely beautiful book.

Is this any good:

I recommend 'The Iron Wall: Israel and the Arab World'.

In my uneducated view it seemed to be quite unbiased, though I doubt you'll find many/any books on the subject that aren't leaning at least to one side or the other.

It covers pretty much everything up to the mid/late 90's.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Iron-Wall-Israel-World/dp/0140288708

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

" What to Expect when You're Expecting"

My nerves.........

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

Just finished my college exams, so now I get to read for fun again- catching up on Ross O'Carroll Kelly first!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am reading Simon Sebag Montefiore's Titans of history, its a great dipping in and out of book, its pottered biography's about 7 or 8 pages long and goes from Ramses the great up to Osama Bin Laden. Its great for beside the bed.

Does anyone use the library I think library's are fantastic and a much underused resource, my local library has just txt me to tell me they have a book I ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

After reading all of the Harry Bosch series, I am now on the 7th in the Stone Barrington series. Good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭nilsonmickey

Has anyone read Betrayel. Just got it as my bro said it is ****ing unreal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement