Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I recommend 'The Iron Wall: Israel and the Arab World'.

In my uneducated view it seemed to be quite unbiased, though I doubt you'll find many/any books on the subject that aren't leaning at least to one side or the other.

It covers pretty much everything up to the mid/late 90's.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Iron-Wall-Israel-World/dp/0140288708

Thanks! But 704 pages, phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Just finished the Virgin Suicides. It was fine, but I don't get the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm reading Tuf Voyaging, a non-GoT book by George RR Martin. I'm really enjoying it, you can see flashes of GoT's style here and there. I would recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Winterland by Alan Glynn, quite enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Shogun by James Clavell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm reading Girl of Nightmares, which is the follow up to Anna Dressed in Blood.

So far it's okay. It lacks a bit of the urgency of the first book (understandable I suppose, considering what is going on for the characters) and it's suffering a little in comparison to the Robin Hobb ones I just finished, which depicted a colourful and vibrant world, whereas everything in this book is, appropriately, pretty dead. I think things are about to get more interesting from here, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

kylith wrote: »
    I'm reading Tuf Voyaging, a non-GoT book by George RR Martin. I'm really enjoying it, you can see flashes of GoT's style here and there. I would recommend it.
    Ah good, have had it on my phone for ages but was wondering if it was "proper" sci-fi, which I love or else custard powered hyperdrive Terry Pratchett/Douglas Addams crap which I hate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

A Treasury of Short Stories by Bernardine Kielty (Simon and Schuster)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Smileys people.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

karma_ wrote: »
    Half way through now...loving it. Already regretting that I'll never be able to read it for the first time again!

I started it about two weeks ago, haven't been reading a huge amount in that time between exams and being out a lot, so I'm only 6% of the way in...feels like it should be much further though, I can see this one taking me a good while to read! Liking it so far though, I'm enjoying the language used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Templars by Michael Haag - good introduction to the Knights Templar and debunks a lot of "DaVinci Code" type myths.

Also Under the Dome by Stephen King. I liked the TV series but the book is far better.

I have not read Templars, but if you like that type of book, perhaps try "The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail".....its many years since I read it, but remember it is a good read (the authors sued Dan Brown).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

An act of love by Marie Fleming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Luminaries

just finished :

http://www.harryaugust.net/

before that Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway

Next, Tigerman, by N. Harkaway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

kylith wrote: »

I havent seen or read GoT but his book Fevre Dream is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Luminaries

just finished :

http://www.harryaugust.net/

before that Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway

Next, Tigerman, by N. Harkaway

Just starting 'The Luminaries'? Took me ages to finish the bleeding thing, actually read 3 other books while struggling through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Piliger wrote: »
    After reading all of the Harry Bosch series, I am now on the 7th in the Stone Barrington series. Good stuff.

I'd love to be starting the Bosch series for the first time and all in order!

I've just finished Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice and I'm starting Royal Assassin.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

I'm reading 'Little Known Facts' by Christine Sneed.

Interesting novel based on an actor and his children. Well-written and gives an entertaining (albeit fictional) insight into the life of a Hollywood star

phasers wrote: »
    Tara and Ben

Ann and Barry kicked Ben and Tara's ass any day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I have finally started Game of Thrones. I'm almost up to date on the tv series and absolutely loving it. I usually try read the books before I watch the tv show/film but didn't happen this time.
    Only on the first book and it seems that the tv series stuck pretty closely to the story but I know that in the 4th season it's supposed to stray somewhat from the books.
    Really enjoying it so far and even though it's a big enough book it's an easy read so flying through it!
    I don't know if there's 6 or 7 books, but either way my summer reading is sorted! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Just finished the Virgin Suicides. It was fine, but I don't get the hype.
    I felt the same. I wouldn't recommend anyone to go out of their way to read it but if you happen upon it then it's okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly

Kim by Rudyard Kipling.

A few instances where the titular young character, who has Irish blood, has been said to "have some Irish in him" when he might get up to being sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Mr Mercedes by Stephen King

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'd love to be starting the Bosch series for the first time and all in order!

I've just finished Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice and I'm starting Royal Assassin.

Interesting. By the way I am on the 8th of the Barrington series and really enjoying them.

Hitchens wrote: »
    Mr Mercedes by Stephen King
    Never heard of it thanks.

Thargor wrote: »
    Never heard of it thanks.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Mercedes-Novel-Stephen-King/dp/1476754454

.....you're welcome ;)

Got Doctor Sleep lined up first, thinking of doing a reread of The Stand aswell, flicked through it at my parents house the other day and didnt remember a bit of what I was reading even though I always tell people its my favourite book...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Pirlo - I Think Therefor I Play

I'm only a chapter in but it's brilliant. I've just finished Beyond Band of Brothers by Maj. Richard Winters and An Astronauts Guide to Life on Earth by Col. Chris Hadfield. Both excellent reads.

I'll be moving on to Georges St. Peirre's The Way of the Fight once I've finished Pirlo's book.

Thargor wrote: »
    Got Doctor Sleep lined up first, thinking of doing a reread of The Stand aswell, flicked through it at my parents house the other day and didnt remember a bit of what I was reading even though I always tell people its my favourite book...

"M-O-O-N, that spells.............." - Tom Cullen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Pirlo - I Think Therefor I Play

I'm only a chapter in but it's brilliant. I've just finished Beyond Band of Brothers by Maj. Richard Winters and An Astronauts Guide to Life on Earth by Col. Chris Hadfield. Both excellent reads.

I'll be moving on to Georges St. Peirre's The Way of the Fight once I've finished Pirlo's book.

My housemate just picked up Pirlo's book and have glanced through it - not a huge soccer fan but it looks brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

My housemate just picked up Pirlo's book and have glanced through it - not a huge soccer fan but it looks brilliant.

I'm definately quoting this wrong but, within the first chapter he says something along the lines of "I don't feel pressure. I spent the afternoon playing the Playstation and eating. In the evening I went out an won the World Cup" :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement