Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Birneybau wrote: »
    Just starting 'The Luminaries'? Took me ages to finish the bleeding thing, actually read 3 other books while struggling through it.

I thought from the reviews it would be hard going but i actually like it a lot. Its very detailed and i might only read a few pages at a time before my concentration starts wandering. I am half way through it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I thought from the reviews it would be hard going but i actually like it a lot. Its very detailed and i might only read a few pages at a time before my concentration starts wandering. I am half way through it now.

I'm also in the middle of reading The Luminaries, and like you I was a bit daunted by the reviews, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Although the counter on the Kindle moves soooooo slowly since it's so long :p

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Started into 1984 again. Read half of it years ago and never got round to finishing it, so trying again. Really enjoying it so far, one of those classics I've always meant to get back to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I was underwhelmed by 1984 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

gutenberg wrote: »
    I'm also in the middle of reading The Luminaries, and like you I was a bit daunted by the reviews, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Although the counter on the Kindle moves soooooo slowly since it's so long :p

I am enjoying the character and in no rush to get to the end really.
    I'd like to know what star signs each character is supposed to be, though. Seeing as it's kind of an undercurrent to the plot and I haven't been able to figure that out by myself.

I don't have a Kindle, but when we have to shunt 7+ years worth of books around to make room to paint the house I think I am mad not to have one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I am enjoying the character and in no rush to get to the end really.
    I'd like to know what star signs each character is supposed to be, though. Seeing as it's kind of an undercurrent to the plot and I haven't been able to figure that out by myself.

I don't have a Kindle, but when we have to shunt 7+ years worth of books around to make room to paint the house I think I am mad not to have one!

Yes the star signs are interesting, perhaps closer to the end it may become clearer? At present I'm just enjoying learning about all the different characters, and the world of the New Zealand goldrush.

And I've had a kindle for a few years now but only recently started using it for novels - but having moved twice in the past few years, I can also the see the value of having fewer physical books to move!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭Hitchens

...and when you're reading in bed and nod off, you won't wake up with a broken nose...................if you use the Kindle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Reading the Gospel of John at the moment

I have a feeling you'll have plenty of time to read it shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ExiledDub

The Devotion of Suspect X. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Started reading Look Behind You by Sibel Hodge, it's fuffing brilliant. Unputdownable. I started it last night and I'm up to 60%, I haven't gone near it yet today, knowing I'm getting close to the end I want to take my time and savour it!

As an aside, I'm really beginning to make use of downloading samples on the kindle, it's a brilliant tool. And I've pre ordered a book which won't be released until the end of August so that'll be a nice surprise when it lands as I'll surely have forgotten about it by then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Finished Look Behind You, excellent read, would highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Am reading And the Mountains Echoed by Khalid Hosseini and I'm absolutely engrossed.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is one of my favourite books ever (it actually made me weep) and this one doesn't disappoint, he's got such a unique gift for story-telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Finished Look Behind You, excellent read, would highly recommend it!

This is next on my to read list, looks very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Merkin wrote: »
    Am reading And the Mountains Echoed by Khalid Hosseini and I'm absolutely engrossed.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is one of my favourite books ever (it actually made me weep) and this one doesn't disappoint, he's got such a unique gift for story-telling.

I quite liked Mountains, I haven't got around to Suns yet

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Currently working my way through Lee Child's Jack Reacher books. I just finished Echo Burning and enjoyed it a lot. Really engrossing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

In honour of the world cup I thought I would read a Brazilian book Postumous Memoirs of Brás Cubas by Machado de Assis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I finished Girl of Nightmares and I was happy enough with it. As I said, I think it suffered in comparison to the Robin Hobb ones that I read before.

Now, thanks to the library, I've just read Joker by Brian Azzarello (which was only okay) and now I'm starting Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb.

I only started reading graphic novels last year and so far I've just read Buffy Season 8 and a handful of Batmans so I'm always interested in suggestions. For just 50c (!!!) the library will order them from any branch in the country so you can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

It's one of my favourites too, I liked it even more than the Kite Runner. He is a beautiful writer. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into And the Mountains Echoed soon.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I quite liked Mountains, I haven't got around to Suns yet

Buy a family-sized box of tissues. You know when a novel really stays with you? I read it back in 2008 and I actually recall the feelings it evoked in addition to the great story, a real weepie!

And I agree Aglomerado, I loved the Kite Runner but I think A Thousand Splendid Suns is in a league of its own.

Buy a family-sized box of tissues. You know when a novel really stays with you? I read it back in 2008 and I actually recall the feelings it evoked in addition to the great story, a real weepie!

Did you ever read flowers for algernon? That was a tear jerker for me

• Advertisement

No I have not, thank you! (Searches for it on Amazon post haste!)

EDIT: What a mind-blowing premise for a book. Just bought an ex display copy on Amazon for 66p.....love a bargain!

Just saved a preview to my Kobo account. Looks good! So many good reading suggestions on this thread! :)

I lent a copy to a friend ages ago, I think I'll ask for it back and re read it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

And I agree Aglomerado, I loved the Kite Runner but I think A Thousand Splendid Suns is in a league of its own.

Read Suns on holiday a just few months ago, will never forget it. Glad I waited til I was on holiday to read it so that I was able to stay up late with it - completely engrossing. Picked up Mountains a wee while back, but will leave it for a while. Not emotionally able!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Vojera wrote: »
    I finished Girl of Nightmares and I was happy enough with it. As I said, I think it suffered in comparison to the Robin Hobb ones that I read before.

Now, thanks to the library, I've just read Joker by Brian Azzarello (which was only okay) and now I'm starting Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb.

I only started reading graphic novels last year and so far I've just read Buffy Season 8 and a handful of Batmans so I'm always interested in suggestions. For just 50c (!!!) the library will order them from any branch in the country so you can't go wrong.

The long halloween is excellent. If you haven't already, check out The Killing Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Just on the final stretch of And the Mountains Echoed......excellent read,

Kite Runner is next

Excellent book.....and the film of it "Charly" is quiet good.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    It's one of my favourites too, I liked it even more than the Kite Runner. He is a beautiful writer. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into And the Mountains Echoed soon.

If you guys like the above, and if you have not already read it, try I know this much is true, by Wally Lamb, I think you will like it.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    If you guys like the above, and if you have not already rad it, try I know this much is true, by Wally Lamb, I think you will like it.

Duly noted. I think you may be right! :) Again, downloaded a preview.

I have loads of previews now to read!

And silly amounts of traditional paper books that I've been given as presents over the last two years (Jo Nesbos etc) that I now need to whittle away at, I read very little fiction due to having to write a thesis...

Where to begin is the only problem. I'm still enjoying Under the Dome at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal-Mary Roach.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/05/books/gulp-adventures-on-the-alimentary-canal-by-mary-roach.html?_r=0

Slightly sub-Bill Bryson but enjoyable nonetheless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement