Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Does anybody know any good crime books that are more on the ethnographic/ case study-ish side of things. Kinda like Martina Cole?

I'm watching the wire and I like how the city seems to come alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Does anybody know any good crime books that are more on the ethnographic/ case study-ish side of things. Kinda like Martina Cole?

Try either Homicide: A Year on the Streets or The Corner...both written by the guy who wrote the Wire...Davis Simon IIRC.

I particularly like the second one. Both non-fiction so not exactly what you're looking for although I'm not sure Martina Cole would be classed as a case study of anything but I'm not a fan and we all have our own tastes.

I guess what I was trying to say was, less about a lone officer going after a serial killer, and more dealing with environment, family, petty crime and upbringing.

But, I'll check those books out :)

Re-reaing the second Fitz book at the moment. Godamn, she's a good writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Duly noted. I think you may be right! :) Again, downloaded a preview.

I have loads of previews now to read!

And silly amounts of traditional paper books that I've been given as presents over the last two years (Jo Nesbos etc) that I now need to whittle away at, I read very little fiction due to having to write a thesis...

Where to begin is the only problem. I'm still enjoying Under the Dome at the moment.

I would be inclined to leave the Nesbo books last:), just my opinion, I read a couple and didn't think they were very good ( or any good)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Just started The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Dicker, very good so far. Should keep me going for the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Id really gone off the Count of Monte Cristo by the time I finished it even though I loved it at the start, it really started to drag in the middle, you can see why it was such a sensation in its day but it was a chore for me to finish it and Im glad its over, usually would have read 3 or 4 books in the time it took me to read it.

Moving on to The Martian by Andy Weir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_%28Andy_Weir%29

Was looking forward to it for a long time but reading it now its only okay, love the subject matter but it doesn't surprise me to hear its originally self published in that wiki article, its written in that dull monotone style where the character just describes everything they do in plain language all the time with no variation like some of those awful vampire or zombie novels every book shop seems to be full of these days, only a few hundred pages though so Ill probably have it read on the bus to Cork this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

Going on a trip with Huxley's Doors of Perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Savage Continent - Europe in the aftermath of World War II

very interesting but frightening too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

ablelocks wrote: »
    Savage Continent - Europe in the aftermath of World War II

very interesting but frightening too.
    Great book. Really enjoyed it, if 'enjoyed' is a word that can be used in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Just finished the Horse Dancer by Jojo Moyes and onto Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Homicide by David Simon

Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭pavb2

Agent Zig Zag - Ben McIntyre

True story of WW2 criminal turned spy

Always a sign of a good book how quickly you rattle through it nearly finished this

eviltwin wrote: »
    Just finished the Horse Dancer by Jojo Moyes and onto Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

What did you think of the Horse Dancer? I bawled through Me to You.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Homicide by David Simon

Very good.

I recommend reading the Corner afterwards. It's very bleak though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It wasn't in the same league as Me Before You at all but it's still very good, Me Before You just killed me though, such a great book. Actually her book, Last Letter from Your Lover is the same, well worth reading if you haven't already.

It wasn't in the same league as Me Before You at all but it's still very good, Me Before You just killed me though, such a great book. Actually her book, Last Letter from Your Lover is the same, well worth reading if you haven't already.

Me Before You is right!
    Last Letter was grand. Her latest book The One Plus One I found only ok. I wouldn't recommend it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I really don't like her books. Me Before You was OK although I don't understand the hype. I really hated Last Letter from your Lover and I had great hope for Ship of Brides because of the intriguing subject matter but again a massive let down. I just feel she's really over hyped but I know lots of people love her so it must just be me!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭big dar

I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭PartnerSeeds

Ghosts in the Wires by K. Mitnick very good read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Ghosts in the Wires by K. Mitnick very good read
    Thanks for reminding me, I've been meaning to pick that up.

You might like "Hacker Crackdown - Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier" by Bruce Sterling, it's available as a free e-book.

And maybe "Kingpin" by Kevin Poulsen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Half way through Factotum by Charles Bukowski.Read 'Ham on Rye' earlier in the week and thought it was hilarious,Factotum not so much.

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »

Read this a few weeks ago.Really interesting and very funny at times,and great descriptions of how aspects of criminality can differ wildly between each race/nationality in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭PartnerSeeds

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Thanks for reminding me, I've been meaning to pick that up.

You might like " by Bruce Sterling, it's available as a free e-book.

And maybe by Kevin Poulsen.

Thanks for the suggestions will look into them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

i'm reading The Sisters Brothers by Patrick Dewit and loving it so far. It is episodic, and laugh out loud funny at times, but quite sad also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Going through a Jon Ronson phase and read two of his books back to back.

The Psychopath Test - very interesting subject. The idea that "functional" (for want of a better word) psychopaths occupy some of the most influential or lucrative positions in society. Not a new concept but I like Ronson's style. I particularly enjoyed his interviews with "Tony", who claimed he had feigned insanity to serve time for a crime in a mental institution rather than prison and who now is "trapped" in the asylum, a supposedly sane man amongst the murderers and child molesters. Although I felt the ending was a little lacklustre. It just kind of...stopped.

The men who stare at goats - Very enjoyable again.

Currently reading Mission Mongolia by David Treanor. (Travel writing). David and his friend, both in their 50s, take voluntary redundancies from the BBC, buy a cheap jeep and (hopefully) drive from London to Ulaanbaatar and donate the jeep to a charity there. I'm enjoying it so far, even though the author is going into pain-staking detail about each meal, etc.

Hmmm, should we create an after hours book club?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The Way of the Fight - Georgres 'Rush' St. Pierre

A great little book about the mind of a champion (Welterweight GOAT) and what it takes to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Going through a Jon Ronson phase and read two of his books back to back.

The Psychopath Test - very interesting subject. The idea that "functional" (for want of a better word) psychopaths occupy some of the most influential or lucrative positions in society. Not a new concept but I like Ronson's style. I particularly enjoyed his interviews with "Tony", who claimed he had feigned insanity to serve time for a crime in a mental institution rather than prison and who now is "trapped" in the asylum, a supposedly sane man amongst the murderers and child molesters. Although I felt the ending was a little lacklustre. It just kind of...stopped.

The men who stare at goats - Very enjoyable again.

Currently reading Mission Mongolia by David Treanor. (Travel writing). David and his friend, both in their 50s, take voluntary redundancies from the BBC, buy a cheap jeep and (hopefully) drive from London to Ulaanbaatar and donate the jeep to a charity there. I'm enjoying it so far, even though the author is going into pain-staking detail about each meal, etc.

I will give the first one a miss, but the second two seem like good reads, for me. T hanks

• Advertisement

Women by Charles Bukowski.

Not as interesting as Factotum or Ham on Rye,decent enough though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement