Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    "Saigon" by Anthony Grey.

Read it years ago and came across it by chance for the kindle, a great read and a good insight to the whole of the Vietnam saga, from early 1900's French Indo-China to the fall of Saigon.

I actually am just now reading this again. I read it years ago, and at that time thought it was very good, my opinion has changed now, its actually pretty terrible. Good from the overview, and bit of background to the Vietnam situation, but I guess that's what history books are for. Very condescending style of writing, give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'The Silkworm' by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling)

Brilliant so far better than the first in the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I finished The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman. Broke my heart so it did :o

Now I'm halfway through Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. The main character is a bit of a drip but the descriptions of Manderley are fantastic, and overall I'm really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I finished The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman. Broke my heart so it did :o

Glad you got your hands on it, it made me bawl.

I finished And The Mountains Echoed by Khalid Hosseini and am bitterly disappointed. The first few chapters were told in his unique, inimitable style and was like being acquainted with an old friend and the remainder a disjointed, unfocused and confusing mess. For fans of Hosseini I'd say to stay well clear.

Am now reading Flowers of Algernon by Daniel Keyes and I'm intrigued. It's different to anything I've read before so I'm keen to see where it leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Passage by Justin Cronin.

Not too far into it but it's absolutely gripping stuff altogether. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good book alright, still remember most of it years later, it has a sequel aswell, The Twelve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

That_Guy wrote: »
    The Passage by Justin Cronin.

Not too far into it but it's absolutely gripping stuff altogether. Highly recommended.

I started that one boring morning and was super intrigued, but it was at someone else's house. It's on The List.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Part 5 of 10 in the Matthew Corbett series

About 50% read and loving it so far. I do however feel a bit cheated given the shortness of this book. This is a great series overall ,and because of the high standards set by the first 4 books ,there is no way a 250 pg book will be able reach the same levels of previous epic adventures.

Hopefully McCammon is not running out of ideas and book six will get us back on track..

Just started How To Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran. I've been looking forward to reading this for ages

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Completely engrossed by No Country for Old Men at the moment. Haven't seen the movie and sticking by my mantra of the book is always better :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly II

Completely engrossed by No Country for Old Men at the moment. Haven't seen the movie and sticking by my mantra of the book is always better :)

It is. I watched the movie too and liked it though, probably more than others as I knew what to expect. It's worth a watch once you've finished reading, it's pretty faithful and fun to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Finished The Luminaries last week, and loved it! I had heard lots of comparisons with Dickens etc., and while I can't stand Dickens, I loved this. I enjoyed peeling back the layers of the story, and the interactions of the different characters, although I admit I had to remind myself who some of them were from time to time, particularly if I hadn't read any of it for a few days (characters like Nilssen etc).

Moved on to Eichmann in Jerusalem by Hannah Arendt this week, it's been on my shelf for a while, and a recent debate among friends about the arrest of 90-something-year-old guards reminded me I had wanted to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Finished The Luminaries last week, and loved it! I had heard lots of comparisons with Dickens etc., and while I can't stand Dickens, I loved this. I enjoyed peeling back the layers of the story, and the interactions of the different characters, although I admit I had to remind myself who some of them were from time to time, particularly if I hadn't read any of it for a few days (characters like Nilssen etc).

Moved on to Eichmann in Jerusalem by Hannah Arendt this week, it's been on my shelf for a while, and a recent debate among friends about the arrest of 90-something-year-old guards reminded me I had wanted to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'Arguably' by Christopher Hitchens. It appears to be quite long at over 800 pages but is easy to get through. It's a series of essays the majority of which so far seem to be in the form of book reviews for literary publications. The topics cover subjects such as personages in American history a lot of whom are political figures, literary figures and their works, global questions. Very erudite and quick witted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm reading hope you're okay hun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I'm reading hope you're okay hun.

Elaborate please:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm reading The Maze Runner by James Dashner. It's been on my to-read shelf on Goodreads for two whole years but seeing that there's a film coming out has finally given me the impetus to get it read.

I'm five chapters in and it has established itself pretty quickly in that time. I have a good idea of who the main players are and what the big mysteries are going to be. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Now I'm halfway through Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. The main character is a bit of a drip but the descriptions of Manderley are fantastic, and overall I'm really enjoying it.
    Yay!
    Now you'll be able to watch the mitchell & webb sketch of it. It's brilliant :D:D

Merkin wrote: »

Am now reading Flowers of Algernon by Daniel Keyes and I'm intrigued. It's different to anything I've read before so I'm keen to see where it leads.

Hope you like it :D:D
    eisenberg1 wrote: »
    If you guys like the above, and if you have not already read it, try I know this much is true, by Wally Lamb, I think you will like it.
    Loved it. It was amazing. I am going to get that "she's come undone" book by him next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

On anarchy by Noam Chomsky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Currently about 5 chapters into "The Fault In Our Stars" by John Green. It's not something I'd normally pick for myself as I'm wary of most Young Adult fiction due to having wasted an entire weekend attempting to read Twilight but this is surprisingly good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

"Galapagos" by Curt Vonnegut, "The Quarry" by Ian Banks and "The Power of Others" by Michael Bond.

I would definitely recommend the first (utopian, unsettling, strange, but somehow never uncomforting) and the last (about the influence other people and groups have on our behaviour. A bit simple, but a very good read). I'm not so sure yet about The Quarry, it's a little - well, slower than his other books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yay!
    Now you'll be able to watch the mitchell & webb sketch of it. It's brilliant :D:D

Ooh I must remember that! Only about 1/3 to go :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Just started How To Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran. I've been looking forward to reading this for ages

Me too. Had many snorts of laughter on the bus yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Introduction to Java Programming (Comprehensive 9th Edition) by Y. Daniel Liang .

Aspiring Java programmer right here - I know how to do "Hello World!" !

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

Just finished Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton

It's a murder mystery set in Newcastle in the 2100s. 1100 pages but it didn't feel like it. Kept me hooked the whole way through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

BlimpyBoy wrote: »
    Just finished Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton

It's a murder mystery set in Newcastle in the 2100s. 1100 pages but it didn't feel like it. Kept me hooked the whole way through.

Geordies in space!

I picked that up the other week for 50p; dying to read it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

old hippy wrote: »
    Geordies in space!

Definitely worth 50p!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

The Examined Life by Stephen Grosz

It's about a psychoanalyst who tells stories about their different patients and how the psychoanalyst gets to the root of the patient's problem which is usually hidden deep within them and is often not what the psychoanalyst first thinks it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Dramatik wrote: »
    The Examined Life by Stephen Grosz

It's about a psychoanalyst who tells stories about their different patients and how the psychoanalyst gets to the root of the patient's problem which is usually hidden deep within them and is often not what the psychoanalyst first thinks it is.
    Sounds interesting. I'll add it to the list. :)

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    Geordies in space!

50c books give me ALL the warm and fuzzies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement