Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

50c books give me ALL the warm and fuzzies
    There's a charity shop in Galway (the SVDP) that has 25c books.

*moonwalks out of thread*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

American Caesars by Nigel Hamilton. Well written and a cracking good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Just finished 'The Girl with all the Gifts' by M.R. Carey.

Literally couldn't put it down, a fantastic read.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Just finished 'The Girl with all the Gifts' by M.R. Carey.

Literally couldn't put it down, a fantastic read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Midnight express- billy Hayes with William hoffer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

"The short history of nearly everything" By Bill Bryson

Love it so much, its actually my 3rd time reading it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The Master of Go by Yasunari Kawabata.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

John le Carré, A Delicate Truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

Just finished Emily barrs the sisterhood. Dark and creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

On the last stretch of Doomed by Chuck Pahlaniuk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

beano345 wrote: »
    Midnight express- billy Hayes with William hoffer

A blast from the past alright, but a good read ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Existence by David Brin.
    Only 90 pages in, but liking it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Embracing the ordinary by Michael foley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

Just finished two books in the past week.

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Alblom. A sad yet uplifting tale of a dying professor teaching an old student about what he learnt in his life.

Jab, jab right hook by Gary Vaynrchuch. Really interesting marketing book looking at how to succeed on the various different social networks. Full of real life case studies and with nice summaries at the end of chapters. I'd recommend if you are looking to take your business's social media strategy to the next level.

Currently reading Fields of Fire by Damian Lawlor. About half way through. Its a hurling book looking at how Kilkenny pulled ahead but how the other counties are catching up and what each of the hurling counties is doing to now to hopefully win Liam McCarthy. A must for any hurling fan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Kingsley Amis - The Old Devils.

About two thirds of the way through it now. It was a booker prize winner in the 1980s and was my Dads I think and has been given to me for some reason.

Never got around to reading it but I must say its a great read. Set among people who drink too much. Really well written and you can sense there is an "event" going to uncoil towards the end of the novel. Set in Wales

Very enjoyable.

Also read The Sea by John Banville and was very disappointed in that.

Also read very recently and was a very hard read The Sleepwalkers: How Europe went to war in 1914.

Now this made me look at WW1 and its outbreak in a whole new way. It presented information I had never read before. After reading this book I would blame Russia and France and party Britain for WW1.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Unraveling Amelia. Pretty good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

death in the silent places by Peter Capstick

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

i cant remember what book i was reading when i last posted here so here's a list of my books this year

Adolf Hitler:My Part in his Downfall - Spike Milligan
    'Rommel?' 'Gunner Who?':A Confrontation in the Desert - Spike Milligan
    Wolf in Shadow (John Shannow #1) - David Gemmel
    Metro 2033 - Dmitri Glukhovsky
    Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs #1) - Richard k. Morgan
    Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos #1) - Dan Simmons
    The Gospel of Loki - Joanne Harris
    Heart-Shaped Box - Joe Hill
    The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle #1) - Patrick Rothfuss
    Metro 2034 - Dmitri Glukhovsky
    Broken Angels (Takeshi Kovacs #2) - Richard Morgan
    The Fall of Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos #2) - Dan Simmons
    The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle #2) - Patrick Rothfuss my book of the year
    Woken Furies (Takeshi Kovacs #3) - Richard Morgan

currently on Horns - Joe Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Started The Maltese Falcon last night. A book I've always wanted to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Read The Death of Bees last week by Liz O Donnell, a really interesting story told from a few different viewpoints. Very enjoyable.
    Currently reading Let The Great World Spin by Colum Mc Carthy, it's a National Book Award Winner. I'm almost half way through it and am not quite sure where it's going but I'll plough on, I'm intrigued enough to keep going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Started reading The Grapes of Wrath ; John Steinbeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

bluewolf wrote: »
    Hope you like it :D:D

This was in reference to Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes and I can't thank you enough for the recommendation. It's quite different to anything I've read before (although a little Murakami-esque in places) but a really wonderfully written and touching book so thanks for the heads up, have recommended it to a couple of people since finishing it.

Almost finished another Diane Chamberlain. Can't remember the name of it but easy bedtime reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Fredrick Forsyth's "the kill list"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

A Storm of Swords II - Blood and Gold - George R R Martin.

I'm two weeks into the series and bitterly resentful that work is getting in the way, pffft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm getting Unbroken by Laura tomorrow, been told it's a must read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Divergent by Veronica Roth. Really enjoying it, flying through it and looking forward to the next one.
    I've always loved reading, I'd read anything, happy to have found this thread for recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Divergent by Veronica Roth. Really enjoying it, flying through it and looking forward to the next one.
    I've always loved reading, I'd read anything, happy to have found this thread for recommendations.

Divergent is amazing! :D Only started the second book of the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

About 60% through I am Pilgrim - Terry Hayes.
    Was away with work for a week read 500 pages in no time, a real page turner, haven't had a chance to get back into it but well worth a few bob. Think its <€10 anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, it started with such promise but I wanted to tear every page from its spine by the end.
    About a third of the way through Remember me by Brian MacLearn, not loving it but I hate abondoning a book in case it improves dramatically!
    I've also read The five people you meet in heaven by Mitch Albom recently I really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

now online wrote: »
    Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, it started with such promise but I wanted to tear every page from its spine by the end.
    I haven't read it myself, but I also haven't heard anyone say any different from what you said, that it starts well and then just falls apart.

As I'm waiting for the next Maze Runner book to arrive, I'm back to reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Since these are all short stories it's great to be able to switch to other books when I feel I'm Holmes-ed out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement