Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

now online wrote: »
    Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, it started with such promise but I wanted to tear every page from its spine by the end.
    About a third of the way through Remember me by Brian MacLearn, not loving it but I hate abondoning a book in case it improves dramatically!
    I've also read The five people you meet in heaven by Mitch Albom recently I really enjoyed it.

I think the story of Gone Girl is quite good, it's just so so badly written, I honestly don't know how it got published.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Most of the way through Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys, really enjoying it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Grey Wolf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

A million lithe pieces ..got really into it ,but its slowly dyeing on the last 2 hundred pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

jellyboy wrote: »
    A million lithe pieces ..got really into it ,but its slowly dyeing on the last 2 hundred pages
    Not to wreck it on you, but you know it's fake, right? I loved it when I read it first but once I found it none of it was real I lost all love for it.

• Advertisement

I've just started The Confusion by Neal Stephenson. Second book in the baroque cycle. It's really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Vojera wrote: »
    Not to wreck it on you, but you know it's fake, right? I loved it when I read it first but once I found it none of it was real I lost all love for it.

At least you didn't read the follow-up before you discovered it. Read them back to back...talk about disppointed

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Finished Eichmann in Jerusalem, chilling stuff but really glad I read it, especially to understand better Arendt's thesis about the 'banality of evil':not just about following orders! Her thoughts about international law and the conduct of trials such as Eichmann's, and the distinction between murder and crimes against humanity were also fascinating and very thought-provoking, seeing as terms such as genocide & crimes against humanity are still disputed, as are the questions over who has jurisdiction to try them.

Not sure what I'll move on to next, I have a few things on my list, including Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill, have heard some rave reviews about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

It Never Rains in September.

German take on Operation Market Garden in WWII :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Human Remains by Elizabeth Haynes....very unsettling. I read one of her previous ones Revenge of the Tide which was a bog standard crime thriller, very good but this is totally different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

eviltwin wrote: »
    Human Remains by Elizabeth Haynes....very unsettling. I read one of her previous ones Revenge of the Tide which was a bog standard crime thriller, very good but this is totally different.

Her books are pretty dark. I read another one of hers and felt really unsettled afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

I read Downturn Abbey by Paul Howard last week, my first Ross O'Carroll-Kelly book I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Going through a Jon Ronson phase and read two of his books back to back.
    Currently reading Mission Mongolia by David Treanor. (Travel writing). David and his friend, both in their 50s, take voluntary redundancies from the BBC, buy a cheap jeep and (hopefully) drive from London to Ulaanbaatar and donate the jeep to a charity there. I'm enjoying it so far, even though the author is going into pain-staking detail about each meal, etc.

Just finished this, and have to say, didn't really enjoy, he spent more time describing hotels and beer ....................I am sure it is an epic journey, and a great chance for a journalist to display his ability as a writer, but I think he missed it.

Next on list .......The Human Stain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Just finished this, and have to say, didn't really enjoy, he spent more time describing hotels and beer ....................I am sure it is an epic journey, and a great chance for a journalist to display his ability as a writer, but I think he missed it.

Next on list .......The Human Stain
    I have to agree with you. When I posted I was reading it, I was probably about a quarter of the way in and just starting to notice that he was describing the food and the hotels more than the journey. I hoped it wouldn't be the case all the way through but unfortunately it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Joaquin223

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. Simple idea (quite original at the time), but very enjoyable - and a very different ending to the Will Smith film!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Joaquin223 wrote: »
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. Simple idea (quite original at the time), but very enjoyable - and a very different ending to the Will Smith film!

Never cared about watching the film but the book is very enjoyable. Read it all in one sitting on a flight from Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.

Enjoyable enough so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

A game of thrones... for months now. On page 54 or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Controversy creates cash, wresslin book, a good read for Bischoff fans

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Merkin wrote: »
    This was in reference to Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes and I can't thank you enough for the recommendation. It's quite different to anything I've read before (although a little Murakami-esque in places) but a really wonderfully written and touching book so thanks for the heads up, have recommended it to a couple of people since finishing it.

Almost finished another Diane Chamberlain. Can't remember the name of it but easy bedtime reading.

I can recommend that wally lamb i know this much is true that someone else mentioned here as well, if you haven't read it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miss.Mayhem

Six chapters into The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen. I thought it would be more like the TV show but it's still a good book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

D. H. Lawrence Sons and Lovers, I tried to read this years ago but hadn't much interest.. Then I started reading it recently and I love it. I think it's because I am now a mother myself and can identify with it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Inferno, by Dan Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations- Adam Smith....Iv cited this work so many times over the years in assignments and papers, thought I should actually go and read the book!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Midnight express.

I saw story on banged up abroad, so I watched film of it and was very disappointed because its a true story and as usual Hollywood made some of it up and missed the best part.... The escape ' so I've got book.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Currently reading The Woman in the Dunes by Kōbō Abe (Trans E. Dale Saunders). About 75% in, I'll probably finish it tomorrow. Very Kafkaesque. The main plot is engrossing and it's very well written but some of the philosophical musings seem shoehorned in and ill fitting. Enjoyable though.
    Joaquin223 wrote: »

I read that years ago in a couple of sitings, good stuff.

The film originally had an ending more faithful to the book but is tested very badly with focus groups so they changed it.

Here's the alternate ending (from a making of feature):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

Am I the only one tempted to tell people what happens at the end of the book they are reading?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Finished A Dance with Dragons again last week, read Neverwhere again too, am a quarter the way through The Ocean at the end of the lane, will start The Rogues tomorrow hopefully, love both Neil Gaiman and George R R Martin, just wish the two bastards would finish The Sandman Overture and A Song of Ice and Fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Just finished Dostoevksy's "The Idiot", been reading a fair amount of Russian stuff the past year or so. Great exploration of such themes as societal conventions, mental illness & the nature of love. Not a perfect novel, some of the characters seem a bit superfluous & others more central to the plot could be fleshed out a bit more in terms of their motivations. Nevertheless it's an enjoyable story, with plenty of details about upper class Russian culture of the time. Not sure what I'll read next but after such a hefty novel will be something in the non-fiction line probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Just finished the Grapes of Wrath.

My god, I loved this book, actually made you (me) feel as if I was living the story, the amount of detail in every page made everything so real. what I personally got from it was the undying strength of the human spirit and the will to live. Imo.

would recommend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement