Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Just finished the Grapes of Wrath.

My god, I loved this book, actually made you (me) feel as if I was living the story, the amount of detail in every page made everything so real. what I personally got from it was the undying strength of the human spirit and the will to live. Imo.

would recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Wonderful story, a timeless American classic (that sounds clichéd but actually deserved in this case) with almost flesh & blood characters. Read it & several other Steinbeck books years ago & he's still one of my favourite writers, with an amazing gift for description & the presentation of political/social themes without ever being preachy. Tom Joad is one of the great American literary heroes. Folk singer Woody Guthrie wrote a song inspired by the character which is a great little addition to the novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Custardpi wrote: »
    Wonderful story, a timeless American classic (that sounds clichéd but actually deserved in this case) with almost flesh & blood characters. Read it & several other Steinbeck books years ago & he's still one of my favourite writers, with an amazing gift for description & the presentation of political/social themes without ever being preachy. Tom Joad is one of the great American literary heroes. Folk singer Woody Guthrie wrote a song inspired by the character which is a great little addition to the novel.

Thanks, will definitely get more of his books now :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just started Donna Tartt's The Secret History, enjoyable so far.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Thanks, will definitely get more of his books now :)

East of Eden is in my top five favourite books, an absolute masterpiece, would highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Evasion - author unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Count of Monte Cristo

Never realised how much backstory there was. I love Dumas's style of writing and the book is really good, even though some of the French names/places can be hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

The Count of Monte Cristo

Never realised how much backstory there was. I love Dumas's style of writing and the book is really good, even though some of the French names/places can be hard to understand.

Only if you're a dumas!* :pac:

*joke shamelessly pilfered from Shawshank Redemption :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Just finished "How To Be a Woman" by Caitlin Moran.

I found the first half a bit of a drag but enjoyed the second half much, much more.

I've seen it compared to Tina Fey's "Bossypants" a lot, which I kind of get. They're both memoirs by female comedians with a feminist slant. I found Bossypants much funnier, fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Just finished "How To Be a Woman" by Caitlin Moran.

I found the first half a bit of a drag but enjoyed the second half much, much more.

I've seen it compared to Tina Fey's "Bossypants" a lot, which I kind of get. They're both memoirs by female comedians with a feminist slant. I found Bossypants much funnier, fwiw.

Femoirs you might say.

*copyright me (21/7/14)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just started Autobiography by Morrissey. About fifty or sixty pages in and first impression is he could use more paragraphs and/or chapters. Interesting writing style for an autobiography though. Reminded me of a George Eliot novel for some reason.

Just finished Match Fixer by Neil Humphreys which I was disappointed to find was actually a novel rather than an expose/non-fiction work. Should read the reviews on Amazon next time. Enjoyable enough but not brilliant. Would probably recommend to anyone with an interest in Asian gambling syndicates or football.

Before that Niccoló Machiavelli's The Prince. Have been meaning to read this for years. Some great lines such as "At this point one may note that men must be either pampered or annihilated. They avenge light offenses; they cannot avenge severe ones; hence, the harm one does to a man must be such as to obviate any fear of revenge." However, I would recommend some knowledge of Renaissance Italian or classical history. I struggled with a lot of the references and was depending on my Junior Cert History knowledge (more years ago than I care to admit) and watching The Borgias.

EDIT: Agree with the poster a few posts above about Dumas. Have posted this before but have read both The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers and loved both. Classic literature by right. Must read more.

The Catcher in the Rye by Salinger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The History of the world in 100 objects by Neil McGregor

It's a kind of bedside table book which you can pick up and read about one object at a time. At 700 odd pages I assume it's going to take a while. There's photograph of the object, it's dated, then the social, economic context is discussed, then an authority makes a comment on how it may have been used and it's significance. Really interesting so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

NightWatch by Lyschenko AMAZING :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Lou.m wrote: »

Do you mean this one?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watch_%28Lukyanenko_novel%29

it's amazing, I read the series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Lou.m wrote: »

I love those books. I must pick up The New Watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Vojera wrote: »
    I love those books. I must pick up The New Watch.

I didn't know there was a new one!!! yoink

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Reading 'The Siege' about the Taj attack- struggled to get through the first half but it's picking up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

bluewolf wrote: »
    I didn't know there was a new one!!! yoink
    I know! I thought The Twilight Watch wrapped things up nicely, but I'm still excited to read the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

Only about halfway through and its easily one of the best books that I've ever read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

Only about halfway through and its easily one of the best books that I've ever read.

I bought this a few months ago as it is highly recommended but completely forgot about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

py2006 wrote: »
    I bought this a few months ago as it is highly recommended but completely forgot about it.

Me too, must make a start on it when I get my coursework out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Just started rereading the adventures of huckleberry finn, a fancy leather bound version I got for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I started The Kite Runner today. I've already been reduced to tears and I'm only a couple of chapters in :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

just downloaded to my kindle and started a novel from Haruki Murakami, What i talk about when i talk about running, and started it : ) i love his easy style. and Norwegian wood is one of my fav books ever... movie too : )..

I adore Murakami! A lot of hardcore Murakami fans don't rate Norwegian Wood and I also love it, beautifully written! Is the film Japanese?

Merkin wrote: »
    I adore Murakami! A lot of hardcore Murakami fans don't rate Norwegian Wood and I also love it, beautifully written! Is the film Japanese?

yes it is, filmed few years ago, i'll try to find a link to it : ) it must be on imdb..

edit: here it is (is it okay to give links like this?)

imdb.com/title/tt1270842/

Thanks a million for link, I must watch it, it's a great story

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »

its a great movie too - if you like that kind of stories / atmospheres : ) i will watch it again these days, even i watched it two times in IFI at the time : )..

as of your other question sorry i missed it, i just started the runner so i will say when i read a little more.. so far it took my attention : )..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement