Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Finished a great coffee-table book featuring interviews with American comedians and comedy writers/performers called Satiristas: Comedians, Contrarians, Raconteurs & Vulgarians by Paul Provenza and Dan Dion. Nicely put together and quite in-depth for short interviews.

Read an autobiography by Mindy Kaling called Is Everyone Hanging Out Without me? (And Other concerns). I've just started watching the show Kaling created, The Mindy Project. I really like Kaling's sense of humour and the writing on her show is great. I enjoyed the book and found it funny but thought it was a little meandering and that she wrote it too early in her career. She wrote it while writing The (American) Office and before she started running her own show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Hi Folks, any opinions on Ken Follett - seems to write some big epic books but they all seem to be based around WW2 stories etc, with trilogies of books.

Is he worth investing some time in and if so any recommendations for which series of books to start with.

Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

brinty wrote: »
    Hi Folks, any opinions on Ken Follett - seems to write some big epic books but they all seem to be based around WW2 stories etc, with trilogies of books.

Is he worth investing some time in and if so any recommendations for which series of books to start with.

Thanks ;)

I read On Wings of Eagles a long time ago and really liked it, about the American hostages in Iran. I also liked Pillars of the Earth about building a cathedral in the medieval times. They are both stand alone books that would give you a feel for his style.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

Honestly, I've been reading The Communist Manifesto. I find myself agreeing with a lot of what it says. Maybe I'm a commie?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'm reading Slaughterhouse Five for the first time. Really really enjoying it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

The Long Walk by King/Bachmann. Really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The first Bachmann book I read, and the best of the 4 IMO. Absolutely loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Storm Front (The Dresden Files #1) - Jim Butcher

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jeanrose770

I have my head into a few different books right now. Which I do often, and then always wonder why I get so confused between stories!!!

I do prefer non fiction to fiction.
    Don Miguel Ruiz is one of my favorite authors.
    I highly recommend his two books
    Mastery Of Love
    The Four Agreements.

Read them with an open mind and heart and your life can be crazy changed for the better!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Gave up on Stephen Fry's "More Fool Me"- it started out good but then adopted a tone of "Oooh, look at how many drugs I've taken and all the celebrities I've met!" It was all very boorish and I felt he was glamourizing his drug use a bit. Shame because it had potential.
    At the moment, I have two books on my To Read list:
    Rory "Panti" O' Neil's "Woman In The Making" and Joe Hill's "Horns".
    Just finishing up a neat little book I found in my local charity shop-"Werewolves" by Elliot O' Donnell. It's a complete, concise history of the werewolf legends across Europe and reads a bit like a historical textbook but in a good way. I found it compelling and and fascinating and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in werewolf mythology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

McChubbin wrote: »
    Gave up on Stephen Fry's "More Fool Me"- it started out good but then adopted a tone of "Oooh, look at how many drugs I've taken and all the celebrities I've met!" It was all very boorish and I felt he was glamourizing his drug use a bit. Shame because it had potential.

Well at least I'm not the only one to have thought that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

Just reading 'Longbourne' by Jo Baker. Enjoying it very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

"Shanty Irish" by Jim tully

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Just finished Time and Time Again - Ben Elton. Good book, its a quick read - you'll do it in two or three sittings. Recommended for history buffs - the time travel trickery is just a plot device.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

honestly I read two maybe three a week on Kindle, find its much quicker and always to hand because it's on my phone too

kate morton at the moment big book but I'm sacked in ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

on the last of the Broken Empire trilogy, 'Emperor of thorns'...Mark Lawrence is a wonderful writer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Reading Billy Connolly's Route 66 . Pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I'm really enjoying Sleep Tight by Rachel Abbot :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Reading Skagboys by Irvine Welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Mike tyson undisputed truth.. terrible childhood. Great read overall

• Advertisement

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files #2) - Jim Butcher

the first one was just ok but i have 3 of them on my kindle so i may as well read them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Re-read the Hobbit this weekend and starting Fahrenheit 451 again this week.

I love going back and re-visiting favorite books :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. He is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. This is only the second one of his books I've read but I love the absolute escapism they bring.

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files #3) - Jim Butcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I'm a bit of a biography fan, mainly boxing.

Just finished reading "My View From The Corner: My Life In Boxing" by Angelo Dundee about 2 weeks ago. For any boxing fans it's a must read imo. It's been the best book I've read to date.

Currently reading "Roy Keane: The Second Half" and I'm not really too enthused when it comes to reading it. I enjoyed the first one more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files #3) - Jim Butcher
    How did you find the second and third books? I've read the first as well and thought it was interesting enough, plus I saw a few episodes of the tv show which seemed decent. But it hasn't piqued my interest enough to push me into getting any further books, so I'm wondering if they're worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

The first Bachmann book I read, and the best of the 4 IMO. Absolutely loved it!

Agreed, Hunger Games is a rip off of this & The Running Man from the same book

I've just started Mr. Mercedes by King, more of a crime novel than anything, but still has some hard hitting moments, the killer is a nasty bastard.

Vojera wrote: »
    How did you find the second and third books? I've read the first as well and thought it was interesting enough, plus I saw a few episodes of the tv show which seemed decent. But it hasn't piqued my interest enough to push me into getting any further books, so I'm wondering if they're worth a look.

the second one was better than the first. they're growing on me (damn character development).there's a bit of repetition in the 3 books so far on explaining certain things but thats probably just for readers benifit who jump in on a random book.
    they're light books, short, and very easy to read. the 'twists' in the first 2 books were like watching an episode of CSI where in the first 5 minutes you see a guy and are like "i bet you it was him all along" and then find out towards the end that you were right
    i guess its a nice change from epic fantasy books i've been reading lately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I hate abandoning a book and usually will muddle through, but I simply had to stop reading the Brent weeks lightbringer trilogy...the most juvenile and poorly written book ive read in ages.

I'm told they pick up in the second book...ill just take the word for it..Not going back to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Gannicus wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a biography fan, mainly boxing.

Just finished reading "My View From The Corner: My Life In Boxing" by Angelo Dundee about 2 weeks ago. For any boxing fans it's a must read imo. It's been the best book I've read to date.

Currently reading "Roy Keane: The Second Half" and I'm not really too enthused when it comes to reading it. I enjoyed the first one more.

Fair play Gannicus, couldn't agree more on Keane's book. I bought it on kindle so wasn't expensive but i'm considering asking for my money back. Such tripe, double standards and contradictions as i've never read.

Currently reading Sycamore Row by John Grisham, he's back on form here. Think he could benefit by going the chacter route and producing a few more Jake Brigance stories.. I can already see the film of this with Matthew Mcconnaughey reprising his role as Jake.

Have the first two game of thrones book on my nightstand to start into (got them as a 2 for 1 deal) and never go back by Lee Child. Lots of reading over the next few weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement