Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Field Manual 100-2-3

The Soviet Army: Troops, Organization & Equipment

By the Department of Defense, United States

10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Stefan Zweig's short stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,651 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Keeping up with the Kalashnikovs

Really needed a laugh lately and while lots of people might hate it I love the books. Have done since the start. They are misogynistic, racist, sexist, and worse but they make me laugh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Just finished Born To Run.

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307279189

Superb read, even for non-runners such as myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I'm reading Girl with all the gifts based on a recommendation from here...good stuff so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Keeping up with the Kalashnikovs

Really needed a laugh lately and while lots of people might hate it I love the books. Have done since the start. They are misogynistic, racist, sexist, and worse but they make me laugh :)

Don't ever read Huckleberry Finn mate. Your head will explode :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭EganTheMan

Zen and the Art of Motor Cycle Mechanics

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

EganTheMan wrote: »
    Zen and the Art of Motor Cycle Mechanics
    Are you sure?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

david75 wrote: »
    I hate abandoning a book and usually will muddle through, but I simply had to stop reading the Brent weeks lightbringer trilogy...the most juvenile and poorly written book ive read in ages.

I'm told they pick up in the second book...ill just take the word for it..Not going back to it.
    That's funny, one of the only times I've ever given up on a book was the other week and it was also a Brent Weeks pile of tosh. It was the second one of the Night Angel trilogy, Shadow's Edge. It has a decent enough premise, a young man trained to be an assassin who uses magic but it doesn't work at all, it's just all over the place.

Anyway that made me decide to take a break from the Fantasy genre for a while so now I'm reading PG Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster books. I'm on Aunts Aren't Gentlemen at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

i must be on my own with Brent Weeks so.i really enjoyed both the Night Angel and the Lightbringer books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

I keep going back to American Gods - Neil Gaiman. And Terry Pratchett.

Love the ocean at the end of the lane

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

McMafia by Misha Glenny

A story of worldwide organised crime. Starts ok but alot of the chapters become boring IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

the second one was better than the first. they're growing on me (damn character development).there's a bit of repetition in the 3 books so far on explaining certain things but thats probably just for readers benifit who jump in on a random book.
    they're light books, short, and very easy to read. the 'twists' in the first 2 books were like watching an episode of CSI where in the first 5 minutes you see a guy and are like "i bet you it was him all along" and then find out towards the end that you were right
    i guess its a nice change from epic fantasy books i've been reading lately
    Dammit, looks like I'll have to add them to my ever-lengthening to-read list after all :p

reprise wrote: »
    Just finished Born To Run.

Superb read, even for non-runners such as myself.

Hi, was there a lot of running tips in there? I'm trying ot cut down on heel striking and thinking of taking the barefoot route. Would this be a good book from a tips viewpoint or is it more of a story?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Shadow and Claw (The Book of the New Sun #1-2 ) - Gene Wolfe

Loved it. Couldn't make head nor tails of big parts of it. Then read an analysis of it and was left more confused. Great author. Struggling through "latro in the mist" at the moment, among others

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Wind through the Keyhole by Stephen King.

Great to be able to revisit the characters from the Dark Tower series

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

i must be on my own with Brent Weeks so.i really enjoyed both the Night Angel and the Lightbringer books

I haven't read lightbringer but I absolutely love the night angel trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Finally finished 'The Crimson Petal and the White', amazing start, kind of got bogged down in the middle which at 840 pages was a lot.

Onto 'Revival' by Stephen King as a palate cleanser. Also, have Bill Bryson's book about Shakespeare on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Just started David Nicholls's new one, Us. Interesting so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

John Gresham's grey mountain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I just finished All Gone to Look for America: Riding the Iron Horse Across a Continent by Peter Millar. I've done some travelling in the US by train so that's why I picked up the book. The blurb on the back says the book follows in the tradition of Bill Bryson but it isn't half as interesting or funny as anything Bryson would write. The humour was a bit flat in the book and I just felt the whole thing was a bit stilted. There are some interesting facts he gives us on his journey but they're delivered to us a bit clinically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Just finished And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini, cracking read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The Book of the New Sun is incredible, most other fantasy pales beside it. Once you read it you can't really go back to the likes of Eddiings or Feist, it's proper grown up fantasy.

Just finished Girl with all the gifts by MR Carey. On a recommendation from people here.

Took a while to get going but couldn't put it down once it did. Weirdly abrupt ending but overall I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Scary stuff. And the Paul Merton autobiography.

I have Atwoods Oryx and Crake(?) to read but apparently they're a series. I'm not sure where this one is in the series

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

david75 wrote: »
    I have Atwoods Oryx and Crake(?) to read but apparently they're a series. I'm not sure where this one is in the series

That's the first one in the series. The second is The Year of the Flood, while the last is MaddAddam. They are absolutely fantastic books, one of my all-time favourite series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Lethal Allies
    British Collusion In Ireland
    By Anne Cadwallader

Someone lent it to me during the week. A very harrowing read about the troubles in the north in the 70's. A real eye opener.

• Advertisement

thank you..i knew i screwed it up..i read year of the flood first...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement