Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano

Really enjoying it so far. Previously read Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk which I enjoyed too

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

david75 wrote: »
    thank you..i knew i screwed it up..i read year of the flood first...

To be honest, you could happily read Oryx & Crake and Year of the Flood in the 'wrong' order, as essentially they provide background before the third book, although MaddAddam does pick up where Year of the Flood leaves off, more or less, but with many elements from the first book too. So I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if you read all three one after the other or at least close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Just finished The Savages by Matt Whyman. Really, really enjoyed it so am gonna go ahead and read the sequel soon.

Am a few chapters in to The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick, and I can already tell I am going to like it, although maybe that is just because I really love the film adaptation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

On the road by jack kerouac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm on to A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Very enjoyable as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

suite francaise by Irene Nemirovsky

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tomglsn

Just started They Thirst by Robert R McCammon. Pretty enjoyable so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

To hell or Barbados

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

To hell or Barbados

Great book but left me infuriated that this whole chapter of our history and the doings of the cvnt cromwell are completely ignored..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I'm just about to finish a couple of books. The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch, a fantasy novel and Jim Henson: The Biography by Brian Jay Jones which really goes to emphasize how creative a guy Henson was and one who remained a nice guy while gaining success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

Just finished One flew over the cuckoos nest...Wasnt blown away by it with the exception of a brilliant conclusion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Have been reading a lot of old 70s, 80s, 90s horror novels this year, and as a result my beautiful wife bought me the 5 novels I had saved on my Amazon wish list. I read Jaws 2 by Hank Searls first, then Darksong by Jean Simon, now I'm several chapters into Gwen In Green by Hugh Zachary. It's a very good read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Halfway through Graham Norton's The Life and Loves of a He Devil. He has me in stitches laughing, it's an easy read. If you enjoy his show, you'll enjoy the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Started Good Omens today by Gaiman and Pratchett. I'm only a few pages in but it has had me chuckling away already. I've a feeling I'm going to really enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Angel and demons . Loving Dan Brown's books atm , fk the h8rs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Started Good Omens today by Gaiman and Pratchett. I'm only a few pages in but it has had me chuckling away already. I've a feeling I'm going to really enjoy it.

One of my all time favorites :)

I am back re-reading some Terry Pratchett. Finished Raising Steam and Dodger this weekend and starting the annual Hogfather review this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Kevin Myers , Ireland's Great War , a little bit chip on the shoulderish in the introduction, we kind of knew that anyway ..........I'll give it a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Reading Filth by Irvine Welsh.

Brilliant read, pure twisted and 10x better than the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm starting The Shining by Stephen King. I loved the movie and it's my first King book so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

I'm starting The Shining by Stephen King. I loved the movie and it's my first King book so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

I envy you, in that you have so many gems of books ahead of you:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Just got my first Kindle. The first books I downloaded, were the free classics that are out of copywrite protection....Jane Eyre, Pride & Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Great Expectations etc etc. I read 'em all donkeys years ago & am having great fun re reading them again. I'm bouncing back and forth between about 6-7 books. I don't stick with just one. I find that if I do, I start to remember the main plot twists & it ruins the surprise. If I read a few chapters and then go on to something else, it keeps them all sorta new & fresh in me noggin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Nothing at the moment, feel like I've lost the ability to read it's weird as ****

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

LenaClaire wrote: »
    One of my all time favorites :)

I am back re-reading some Terry Pratchett. Finished Raising Steam and Dodger this weekend and starting the annual Hogfather review this week.

I'm actually thinking of re-reading some of his books over christmas now - The Night Watch (my absolute favourite so far), and maybe Witches Abroad (the very close second).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭dynamited

The Snowball , Warren Buffet

• Registered Users Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I finished "The Ocean At The End Of The Lane" by Neil Gaiman. It was an easy read but not very gripping.

Currently reading "Seeing Further" by Bill Bryson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I finally finished Wolf Hall there last week, and I'm really glad I persevered. Some parts I did skim over, but others were brilliantly written and very funny. I'll definitely see about downloading the sequel when I finish my exams.

I don't know when I got so slow at reading though; when I was younger I used to devour books but nowadays one book can take me months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nothing at the moment, feel like I've lost the ability to read it's weird as ****
    Do you have a large collection on your ereader? I find I have about a hundred books ahead of me that 10 years ago I would have snapped them up if Id seen them in a bookshop and started reading them the minute I got home but now I have to force myself to start any of them, at least I do get into them when I start though.

Its the same with my Steam library, a couple of hundred games that my younger self would have killed to play any of them but now they just sit there, bought in Steam sales and Humble Bundles and never looked at again. First world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I finally finished Wolf Hall there last week, and I'm really glad I persevered. Some parts I did skim over, but others were brilliantly written and very funny. I'll definitely see about downloading the sequel when I finish my exams.

I don't know when I got so slow at reading though; when I was younger I used to devour books but nowadays one book can take me months :(

I think Wolf Hall is a particularly slow read, though, given the style it's written in. It took me about a month to read it; I flew through the sequel.

The BBC have adapted the books. I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I think Wolf Hall is a particularly slow read, though, given the style it's written in. It took me about a month to read it; I flew through the sequel.

The BBC have adapted the books. I can't wait!

Yeah I think you're right, that and the fact that's it's so heavy meant I didn't read it in bed every night. It took me three months :o

Yeah I really want to see that, so the sequel is definitely on the wishlist. In the meantime, my reading is mostly consisting of notes on Matrimonial Law :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement