Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I finally finished Us, David Nicholls's new one, and I really enjoyed it, though quite bittersweet in places.

Next up is either Richard Flanagan's Narrow Road to the Deep North or David Mitchell's The Bone Clocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Finished Dr Sleep.

I can't say I was disappointed but it wasn't as good as The Shining. At some stage I just wanted to finish it ASAP, and couldn't care about the bad guys.

Somehow I had the feeling that
    Abra and Dan were related and then it was confirmed.

I got Salem's Lot the other day but I will give King a rest for a bit.

Have a pile of books to read, I'll pick up one of the following:
    Fever Pitch
    The Silver Linings Playbook
    Perks of Being a Wallflower
    The Heat of the Day

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Finally starting The Interpretation of Murder by Jeb Rubenfield about 3 years after I received it :o

Also starting the final Song of Ice and Fire book A Dance with Dragons. Its a big one. Hopefully by the time I finish the next one will be out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

eviltwin wrote: »
    Hopefully by the time I finish the next one will be out.

I had the same hopes 2 years ago.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 36 aine100

I'm reading Ghost Story which is book no. 13.
    I only discovered the Jim butcher books during the Summer, and I'm going through them one by one. Thoroughly enjoying them.
    I took a break to read The bone clocks but i just finished it last week. It was ok, very imaginative, but a bit sad.
    I like the Jim butcher books because they are light fun reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 aine100

Haven't read a Stephen King in a long time. In my opinion "IT", and "The Stand" are the best of the older ones. Are his newer ones as good I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Daughter by Jane Shemilt. It's a blah so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

aine100 wrote: »
    Haven't read a Stephen King in a long time. In my opinion "IT", and "The Stand" are the best of the older ones. Are his newer ones as good I wonder?

I loved them all to be honest. The Dark Tower series is amazing. And I always found the different collections of short stories to be good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

11/22/63 is a great book. I loved it. Give it a try if you haven't already. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^ another vote here. Great read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I loved them all to be honest. The Dark Tower series is amazing. And I always found the different collections of short stories to be good too.

Another King fan here. I find him to be at his best when it comes to the short stories. The older books are all great, some of the later (post accident) have been a bit hit and miss. 11/22/63 is a fine book alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dark Tower is incredible, you just dont know whats around the next turn reading it and every character is likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Thargor wrote: »
    Dark Tower is incredible, you just dont know whats around the next turn reading it and every character is likeable.

I tried a couple times to start the first in the series but I just couldn't get into it. Not sure why. I love all his other work.

Santa is bringing me Revival and Mr Mercedes. Will pop back in here to let ya'll know how I got on. ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I really liked Dr Sleep (sequel to The Shining).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'Do no harm' by Henry Marsh.

He is recounting some stories from his time working as a brain surgeon I'm terrified and hopeful at the same time. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Machiavelli the prince

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I started reading The Martian by Andy Weir the day before yesterday and I'll probably finish it either tonight or tomorrow morning. I'll have a few hours to myself later so I'll try devour the rest of it later. I love this book! It would make a great Christmas gift. You don't have to be a fan of sci fi to enjoy it. It has gripping drama, nail biting suspense, a male protagonist you will love and often moments of hilarity. Highly recommended :D.

Read We are all completely beside ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler over the weekend (I was stuck in an airport most of Friday); it's interesting, I had no idea about the 'twist' so it was a complete surprise to me. Quite thought-provoking on the relationship between humans and animals, though I don't know if it quite merited the hype.

To continue the King conversation, I have now started The Stand; it's my first King novel, and as I really like apocalyptic/dystopian fiction, I thought I'd give it a go. So far it's ok, though we just seem to be moving from one 'episode' to another, where he's obviously introducing us to the main characters while the 'plague' rages in the background.

Read We are all completely beside ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler over the weekend (I was stuck in an airport most of Friday); it's interesting, I had no idea about the 'twist' so it was a complete surprise to me. Quite thought-provoking on the relationship between humans and animals, though I don't know if it quite merited the hype.

To continue the King conversation, I have now started The Stand; it's my first King novel, and as I really like apocalyptic/dystopian fiction, I thought I'd give it a go. So far it's ok, though we just seem to be moving from one 'episode' to another, where he's obviously introducing us to the main characters while the 'plague' rages in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Reading "The Children of the Alley" by Naguib Mahfouz.
    I honestly can't remember where or when I bought it, I suspect I got it second hand and then forgot it for a long time, but it's a fantastic read.

It's quite an obvious allegory of the 3 Abrahamic religions, but that doesn't take any of the tension away from it. Very thought-provoking and very unusal take on matter religious, but even if you weren't religious yourself (like yours truly) it still gives a lot of insight into how religions spring up, how they are being perpetuated and how they affect humanity and individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Finally gotten round to starting The Count of Monte Cristo after is was recommended repeatedly on here, better be good :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

'Jerry Lee Lewis', ....author : Rick Bragg....publshed 2014.
    Simply said : there ain't a better biog on the popular music industry available on the planet right now.
    " Goodness gracious, great balls afire "......whoooooooh !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Deception point- Dan Brown

Started reading some particle physics and quantum physics again too .

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

The Aquariums of Pyongyang, my first delve into the utterly crazy country that is North Korea, really enjoying it so far, a little all over the place in times but facinating to ready about this mans childhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I just finished The Shining, excellent, excellent read. I thought the movie was good but the book is something else! I have Doctor Sleep here ready to go now. Thank god I didn't have to wait 36 years to be able to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

You can't win - jack black

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Can't beat a bit of dystopian fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,102 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 31,892 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm reading The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement