Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I'm enjoying Fever Pitch, even though I don't have the foggiest about football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

The Crusades by Thomas Asbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,890 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Finished 1,411 facts to knock your socks off.

Currently reading two books. The Adventures of sherlock holmes and Graham Norton's The life and loves of a he devil. Graham's book is brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Rolling nowhere(riding the rails with Americas hobos) - by ted conover

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Am reading a horror collection called 'For Those Who Dream Monsters' by Anna Taborska. Very good indeed. Can recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Started "The Stand" by Stephen King.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Started "The Stand" by Stephen King.

I finished that over Christmas, and enjoyed it a lot; it didn't feel like 1000 pages or whatever it is (I read the 'extended' edition).

I'm currently reading The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton, set in seventeenth-century Amsterdam. A really interesting read so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

hey all,

have the following backlog to clear

John Grisham - Gray Mountain
    Lee Child - Never Go back and Personal
    George R Martin - First 2 GOT books
    Brad Meltzer - Book of Fate
    Paul Christopher - The Sword of the Templars
    David Baldacci - 2 I cannot remember the names
    Roy Keane - The Second Half

And my New Years Resolution - after 10 years owning i will complete "Clinton" this year...

My Wife is going to start and complete The Count of Monte Cristo... once she's done with that i'll give it a read too...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Seems The Stand is quite popular on here. About two thirds through it myself. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

The Dead Hand: The Untold Story of the Cold War Arms Race and its Dangerous Legacy, by David E. Hoffman.

Winner of the 2010 Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction and a very welcome Christmas gift.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Summer of night by Dan Simmons
    I can't put it down ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I've read The Stand a few times now, but not for a few years. Time for a re-visit?

I'm reading another King book at the moment: Doctor Sleep. It's about the son of The Shining caretaker. Good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Just started "The Eye of the World". First book in the Wheel of Time series.

Its great !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

If Hemingway Wrote JavaScript by Angus Croll. Amusing, nicely-crafted Nerd Humour. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Lamentation by CJ Sansom...wasn't aware this was part of an ongoing series, but it doesnt seem to have a bearing. Really enjoyable crime/mystery set in Henry VIII's court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Moorman Book of Poker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Rereading Julian Barnes' Pulse. Gorgeous piece of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Politics for Dummies, Found it outside the dail bar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

david75 wrote: »
    Lamentation by CJ Sansom...wasn't aware this was part of an ongoing series, but it doesnt seem to have a bearing. Really enjoyable crime/mystery set in Henry VIII's court.

Great to see someone saying this is good, I've the sample of this on my Kindle and those nice people at Amazon gave me a voucher for a free book today, so might get this one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Currently, I'm finishing "The Midwich Cuckoos". A friend of mine lent it to me, along with "The Day of the Triffids". Both are nice reads, though in the Midwich Cuckoos he's spending a lot of time making sure his characters explain to the reader what's going on - a little tedious.

Next up, it's "Of Mice and Men".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

"Capital in the 21st" - long, lots of chart, and written from a French view of how capital should be used: hence a mixture of statist polices and literary references.

brinty wrote: »
    Great to see someone saying this is good, I've the sample of this on my Kindle and those nice people at Amazon gave me a voucher for a free book today, so might get this one ;)

it's well worth a read. He has a few essays at the end detailing some characters/ history/ motivations which are a great read too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Off the map - by crimethinc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Finished 'The Book of Strange New Things' by Michel Faber earlier, great book by great writer.

Onto '2010' by Arthur C. Clarke, something short thank god. Enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Just started 'The Town in Bloom' by Dodie Smith. 'I Capture the Castle' is one of my favourite books so I am really excited to read another novel by the same author :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

2666.Slow start. Every sentence hand crafted. This will take some time.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Finished 'The Book of Strange New Things' by Michel Faber earlier, great book by great writer.

I enjoyed it too, but the ending..could have finished it, it seemed unfinished..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

Anjelia Huston's autobiography 'Watch Me'. Seems very interesting, well written and full of Hollywood anecdotes!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement