Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Started the Wool trilogy by Hugh Howey. Have heard great things, so I hope it matches expectation. At least they're short!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Just finished I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. Fantastic read but i love crime/mystery novels anyway.

Moved onto We Were Liars. Downloaded it without realising it is actually a young adult novel. The blurb sounded good but I doubt I am its target audience. There is meant to be a twist so I am sticking with it but it is utter crap at the moment. The writing is very "jumpy".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Chris jerichos third instalment of his autobiography.

He's a hilarious storyteller

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shmalentine

Just finishing up Amy Poehlars 'Yes Please'. Don't feel it quite matches up to Tina Feys 'Bossy Pants' but every chapter had me laughing at some point. Light, funny read but easily forgettable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Moved onto We Were Liars. Downloaded it without realising it is actually a young adult novel. The blurb sounded good but I doubt I am its target audience. There is meant to be a twist so I am sticking with it but it is utter crap at the moment. The writing is very "jumpy".

Ditto. I got it on the recommendation of a friend who loved it but I'm finding it hard to get into. I, too, am sticking it out simply to see what the end twist is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Just started reading Dean R Koontz

Your Heart Belongs to me...

Haven't read any Koontz before, so don't really know what to expect. But 3 chapters in there have been a few tense moments and I links his writing style. I'm assuming Koontz is a man, could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Flowers in the Attic, I <3 it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

LoganRice wrote:
    Flowers in the Attic, I
    That is a deeply twisted and borderline insane book, from what I can remember. Because it had children in it, I assumed it would be appropriate for me to read as a child. It completely corrupted and confused the sh1te out of me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Ivan Yates's bio 'Full on - a memoir'.

I am finding it a very interesting read. Lots of content and he has had a very interesting life. Surprised at how much I am enjoying it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Finished the Pregnant Widow by Martin Amis, not that impressed tbh, read much better "coming of age/sexual revolution" stuff.

Started Revolutionary Road, which seems along similar lines but set in the 50's, much better read so far.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Finished the Pregnant Widow by Martin Amis, not that impressed tbh, read much better "coming of age/sexual revolution" stuff.

Started Revolutionary Road, which seems along similar lines but set in the 50's, much better read so far.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Hasia Diner's Erin's Daughters in America

Excellent account of the Irish female emigrant experience throughout the nineteenth century. Though, it should probably be tempered with more recent work, such as Margaret Lynch-Brennan's The Irish Bridget, to shape the history in light of modern evidence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Found a book by Joseph Delaney called The Last Apprentice:revenge of the witch, and apparently its being made into a movie. Fun read, probably young adult fiction, it was very easy to read despite being a bit gorey in places..apparently there are about ten in the series so i'll definitely be reading the others. Recommend them if you want something easy but well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

The Well Of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson, bit slow compared to first book but getting going in middle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

"Iron john" a book about men - Robert bly

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rosb

On my Kindle: Lady Susan by Jane Austen - not the usual Austen book. The heroine is a flirty mischievous woman.

Peter James -"Want you Dead" another great Roy Grace book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I read the first few pages of The Stand by Stephen King. I've never read it before or seen the mini-series/film, I don't know what it's all about yet so I can't say how good/bad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I'm reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. Much darker than his usual works, and thus far really enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Chris Hadfield's An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth. It's really easy to read. I was expecting to struggle a little but it's very well written so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

American Gods by Neil Gaimen, first time reading any of his work, so far really enjoying it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

The Rocky Road by Eamon Dunphy.

Great book and a lot more than a football biography.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind. About halfway through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind. About halfway through.

I am reading that as well what do you think? I think its a bit nutty but very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Free to Choose by Milton Friedman.

It's an interesting book. Makes many salient points. I approach the text from the perspective of someone who has had a decent career and standard of living because of Capitalism. There is no one in Ireland who hasn't felt the benefits of choice, freedom and access to competitive markets. It's also a far easier read than the turgid Victorian-era prose put across by that spoofer, Karl Marx.

The book is dogmatic. Friedman believed in the worldview he espoused. I don't agree with all of it myself - nothing wrong with a redistributionist tax system if handled in a decent manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Free to Choose by Milton Friedman.

It's an interesting book. Makes many salient points. I approach the text from the perspective of someone who has had a decent career and standard of living because of Capitalism. There is no one in Ireland who hasn't felt the benefits of choice, freedom and access to competitive markets. It's also a far easier read than the turgid Victorian-era prose put across by that spoofer, Karl Marx.

The book is dogmatic. Friedman believed in the worldview he espoused. I don't agree with all of it myself - nothing wrong with a redistributionist tax system if handled in a decent manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Chloris wrote: »
    That is a deeply twisted and borderline insane book, from what I can remember. Because it had children in it, I assumed it would be appropriate for me to read as a child. It completely corrupted and confused the sh1te out of me...

Nearly all of Virginia Andrews' books involve incest, they're very odd. I read a huge amount of them starting from about the age of 10/11.

I'm reading The Tommyknockers by Stephen King.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

I'm reading " One Day" by David Nicholls.

Fantastic book.....would recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

A few pages into "a walk across america" by peter Jenkins,its a good read so far, one hell of a long walk with his mutt for company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I'm reading " One Day" by David Nicholls.

Fantastic book.....would recommend.

One of only a few books to make me cry :o If you like Nicholls, I enjoyed his most recent one, Us as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement