Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Legendary Ireland by Eithne Massey. Great book. It visits various sites all around the country and tells of the stories, myths and legends attached to those sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Just finished Rich Dad, Poor Dad. I've never read a book so fast. Now plotting to make my millions. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

State of Change by Christopher Bulis, a Doctor Who novel featuring Colin Baker as Doctor Who and Peri as his companion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Just started spring/summer by Argos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Started reading "the girl on the train" by Paula Hawkins yesterday. Finished it today as I couldn't put it down. It's a thriller but flits back and forwards so you gradually learn what's happened but there's something quote addictive about it.
    If you liked gone girl and before I go to sleep, this is similarly written.
    Also read flesh and blood by Patricia cornwell. I've grown up with this author, I was a book fiend as a child and read my first Kay Scarpetta story far younger than I should have. I've watched the characters grow old with me. This book pulled me in but in some ways it disappointed me - so much emphasis on the characters relationships yet some questionable actions for intelligent characters and an awful cliff hanger type ending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

I'm really enjoying this so far. He writes in a lovely terse style. The main character is growing up in an environment that she knows isn't as it should be. You know it isn't. The true horror of what is happening is revealed to the protagonist and the reader in subtle reveals. The innocence of childhood moving through the sudden realisation that her adult life has been predestined.

It's a short read, but utterly compelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch.

It's the second in the Gentlemen Bastards/Locke Lamora series. Absolutely loving it. The two main characters are crude, smart asses, with a great relationship and are both loveable. The world Lynch has created is fantastic but much closer to reality than most fantasy worlds, and the twists and turns throughout make it hard to put down.
    Great series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Adrian Mole: The Cappucino Years by Sue Townsend

Only recently discovered (thanks to this thread) that the Mole diaries continued into his adulthood. Only about a month in and have already had one or two laughs on public transport. Set in 1997 with him living in London and Labour having swept to power - including his beloved Pandora.

Massive fan of his teenage diaries and delighted with the new (to me) stuff. Read "The Wilderness Years" before Xmas and have another two or three to look forward to as well.

One of the funniest characters/series in literature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Wildfire - Nelson Demille is my current book . Over half way through .

Next week I plan on starting the bourne identity - Robert Ludlum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Have just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett & Still Alice by Lisa Genova-both brilliant,both on Kindle.

Now have some actual paperbacks to read, Harlan Coben's last 3 books, starting with Six Years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

The Four Streets by Nadine Dorries. Excellent book, really good storyline but harrowing. It's not for everyone though, there are elements of paedophilia and clerical abuse in it. But the storyline is wonderful, the resilience, resourcefulness, determination and love of the characters is fantastic. We have lost so much over the generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Gary Neville's autobiography "Red". A weighty tome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Agricola wrote: »
    Gary Neville's autobiography "Red". A weighty tome.

Can you hear his voice while reading it?

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm about half way through it and enjoying it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'H is for Hawk' by Helen McDonald. In the aftermath of her fathers sudden death and still in the throes of grief Helen decides to purchase and train a Goshawk. The book is written in parallel with her description of a memoir written by T.H. White who also trained a Goshawk. Beautifully written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

cloudatlas wrote: »
    'H is for Hawk' by Helen McDonald. In the aftermath of her fathers sudden death and still in the throes of grief Helen decides to purchase and train a Goshawk. The book is written in parallel with her description of a memoir written by T.H. White who also trained a Goshawk. Beautifully written.

Been thinking of picking it up, thanks.

Reading 'Ghostwritten' by David Mitchell (not that one) myself. Not 100% sure if I've read it before or not, bought cheap for Kindle, but intriguing as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Still half-way through Woman In The Making by Rory "Panti Bliss" O' Neil. About to start on Amanda Palmer's "Art Of Asking". Good stuff- I like a good biography.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tomglsn

Just finishing Saint Odd by Dean Koontz. Really enjoyable ending to the Odd Thomas series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

The Phenomenology of Spirit by G.F. Hegel

Really enjoying it. It's a classic of German idealism and unquestionably one of the most important works of modern philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Stephen King On Writing.
    Nice, relatively short autobiography/writing tips book!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm about half way through it and enjoying it a lot.

Great book. I really enjoyed that and wouldn't normally read his books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

No Logo - Naomi Klein

A great insight into our obsession with logos and branding, as well as how corporations manipulate us through advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

fizzypish wrote: »
    Stephen King On Writing.
    Nice, relatively short autobiography/writing tips book!

That is an amazing book. Its a fabulous insight into writing skills. Thoroughly recommend it even if you are not a King fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

I'm really enjoying this so far. He writes in a lovely terse style. The main character is growing up in an environment that she knows isn't as it should be. You know it isn't. The true horror of what is happening is revealed to the protagonist and the reader in subtle reveals. The innocence of childhood moving through the sudden realisation that her adult life has been predestined.

It's a short read, but utterly compelling.

I loved it as well.
    I nearly never picked it up, the title and cover suggested a rather soppy romantic story - but I decided to trust an author I had read before, and I didn't regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've got Thomas Mann's "The Magic Mountain" at home... I'm planning to start reading it on the weekend.

Until then, I've got Ursula Le Guin's "Left Hand of Darkness"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

In My Own Words - Paul Galvin.

Great read, admittedly I'm biased, but it is quite different to the usual GAA/Sports book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm reading Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie. It was part of the source material for 'The Pacific'. I liked his character in the show so I said I'd give his book a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Reading Atonement by Ian McEwan.

I have seen the film so I know what I am in for, but I don't know if I will be able to read some parts of it because what happens makes me so angry!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Just began I am Pilgrim.

Very very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I finished Hilary Mantel A Place of Greater Saftety a few days ago, very good although a long haul at over 800 pages. I'm reading Stephen King Mr Mercedes and it's fairly good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement