Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Went a bit mad on the Dresden Files this month. I read numbers 4-10 and I'm now on number 11 in the series. I think that's probably enough wizards for me for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

'The Scar' by China Mieville

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

After arguments in AH about the validity of IQ tests, I decided to read The Bell Curve.

It generated controversy for its coverage of intelligence and race, but more worrisome (in my opinion) is how many factors that you would normally ascribe to "socioeconomic status" are more strongly correlated with intelligence. Unemployment? Check. Teenage pregnancy? Check. Workplace injuries? Check. Meanwhile, schools and colleges have become so good at spotting the smart kids and guiding them to "knowledge industries" (STEM, Law etc.) that the result is a self-reinforcing "cognitive elite" who live and work in a different world to the rest of the people.

The book is over 20 years old now, based on research older than that, but I don't think the authors would change their conclusions and recommendations, given what has happened in the world since then.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

"Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn.

Girl survives her family being slaughtered and 25 years later is encouraged to look into the truth, her testimony having convicted her brother. Written in two time periods ie one chapter in modern day and the next at time of murders.

Half way through and seems good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just finished The Fault in our Stars by John Green. I thought I would have shed tears reading this but I didnt. IMO there is too much focus on the teenagers trying to sound intelligent and literary that I didn't really pick up on the love, passion and lust of being a teenager in love which I recall from all those years ago as being very powerful emotions.

Haven't seen the film of the book though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Have just added Blood Splatters Quickly:The Collected Stories by Edward Wood Jr. to the other couple of anthologies I'm reading. I saw it was available for kindle and couldn't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Just finished Still Alice. It is a first person account of early on-set Alzheimer's. It was really well written, and having lost 2 grandparents to Alzheimer's a little scary as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

The Outside World, by Jorge Franco - described by Laura Restrepo as something between the Grimm brothers and the Coen brothers. Quite good and exciting so far

Annihilation by Jeff VanDerMeer - an expedition to a place where everyone disappears - three pages so far, and I'm already excited

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Collie D wrote: »
    "Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn.

Girl survives her family being slaughtered and 25 years later is encouraged to look into the truth, her testimony having convicted her brother. Written in two time periods ie one chapter in modern day and the next at time of murders.

Half way through and seems good.

Loved this even more than Gone Girl

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Let Me Take You Down by Jack Jones. The story of Mark Chapman and the murder of John Lennon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Finally gotten round to starting The Count of Monte Cristo after is was recommended repeatedly on here, better be good :)

Well it took me a month (that'll teach me to get the unabridged version) but I finally finished this the other night.

Really enjoyed it, though the pacing is quite slow at times, especially in the middle.

Might try out the Three Musketeers at some point.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Just finished 'The Girl On The Train' today, fantastic though I figured out the end about halfway through.

Might start 'The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet' by David Mitchell tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Almost finished From Hell.

Reading Stephen King's Under The Dome in the background. Not a big King fan, but I got it for Christmas and thought 'what the hell'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

I'm really enjoying this so far. He writes in a lovely terse style. The main character is growing up in an environment that she knows isn't as it should be. You know it isn't. The true horror of what is happening is revealed to the protagonist and the reader in subtle reveals. The innocence of childhood moving through the sudden realisation that her adult life has been predestined.

It's a short read, but utterly compelling.

I read this last night based on a couple of recommendations and I really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Finished the uncut version of the stand the other night. Took forever to read because of just not having time to read but I really enjoyed it.

Started 'the long walk' by king (as Richard Bachmann). About halfway through already. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Might try out the Three Musketeers at some point.
    I read the Musketeers trilogy when I was a teenager. I couldn't put them down, they are so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 figges

Disappointed by this. Maybe expectations were too high. Just didn't really find it all believably coherent. However well drawn the characters were I didn't really believe in any of them.

First Kindle offering. John Richardson (of 8/10 cats) stream of consciousness in search of perfection. Funny and rings true in a gentle kind of way. Reads a bit like Seinfelds English cousin doing a similar kind of soul searching. Enjoying it.

Love the kindle btw.

figges wrote: »
    Disappointed by this. Maybe expectations were too high. Just didn't really find it all believably coherent. However well drawn the characters were I didn't really believe in any of them.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭wallywhittle

The spy who came in from the cold by John le carre. Absolutely brilliant read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

The Professor + The Housekeeper by Yoko Ogawa.
    Focuses on the housekeeper's relationship with an old mathematician who loses his memory every 80 minutes and can only recall back to 1975.
    I'm 40 pages in and enjoying it so far, a good transitional book for anyone who wants a light read or who is in a reading slump.

Birneybau wrote: »
    ?

You thought differently I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DubiousV

In the middle of the Emperor series by Conn Iggulden. Really enjoying it, would recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Moonwalking with Einstein.

Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

I think if you're on the mobile site the titles of posts don't come up. At least it didn't for me so I think thats what the poster was on about.

Nah, don't know what book you're talking about : )

• Registered Users Posts: 5 clk1990

Just finished Choke (Chuck Palahniuk) ..... Really liked it.

On to Child of God (Cormac McCarthy). Seems promising.

KH25 wrote: »
    I think if you're on the mobile site the titles of posts don't come up. At least it didn't for me so I think thats what the poster was on about.

ah ok - did put the book name in the post title - wasn't aware of it not showing on some devices - ta.
    The comments were about The Goldfinch.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Have the Goldfinch on my "to-read" pile, got it for Christmas, have heard pretty mixed things about it though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

ah ok - did put the book name in the post title - wasn't aware of it not showing on some devices - ta.
    The comments were about The Goldfinch.

Cool, I liked it (mostly).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement