Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I thought I'd take a break from my Sherlock Holmes binge but nope, couldn't do it. Straight in to The Hound Of Baskervilles last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

On the finally book off the Mistborn trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

just read "poirot and me" by david suchet, its grand, not the best or worse I have ever read but you have to love poirot himself to enjoy it, which I do

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I thought I'd take a break from my Sherlock Holmes binge but nope, couldn't do it. Straight in to The Hound Of Baskervilles last night.

I read the hound of the baskervilles after I got it as a birthday present I really enjoyed it but Agatha christies poirot grabs me more than conan doyles holmes

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Just started 'Hannibal - A Hellenistic Life' by Eve McDonald. Gives great insight into the foundations of Carthage so far, looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

About to start a biography of Pushkin, by TJ Binyon.

Going to make a mad night of it with a bottle of wine left-over from Christmas.

The thing about reading when drinking, is the story is always more interesting, but you have to re-read most of it the next day, when you've forgotten it.

If anyone had read the above book and it isn't as great as the reviews suggested, then let me know and spare me 650 pages of dross, thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well it took me a month (that'll teach me to get the unabridged version) but I finally finished this the other night.

Really enjoyed it, though the pacing is quite slow at times, especially in the middle.

Might try out the Three Musketeers at some point.
    Barna77 wrote: »
    I read the Musketeers trilogy when I was a teenager. I couldn't put them down, they are so good.

I read The Count of Monte Cristo some years ago and LOVED it - one of my favourite books ever. I read the Penguin Classics translated by Robin Buss, and it seems I lucked out as reviews often say it's the best translation out there.

Now I'd love to read the Musketeer trilogy - any recommondations of the best translation to go with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

half way through the count of Monte cristo. just started Toni Morrison's the bluest eye also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

half way through the count of Monte cristo. just started Toni Morrison's the bluest eye also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The bourne identity - Robert Ludlum .

Anyone else read it ? Not sure how I like his style .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Finally finished Thomas Pynchon's Mason & Dixon. Probably the great American novel. 11/10. Read this book.

(Or at least attempt to.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

quickbeam wrote: »
    I read The Count of Monte Cristo some years ago and LOVED it - one of my favourite books ever. I read the Penguin Classics translated by Robin Buss, and it seems I lucked out as reviews often say it's the best translation out there.

Now I'd love to read the Musketeer trilogy - any recommondations of the best translation to go with?
    Wouldn't know now. I read it on a non descript collection of Dumas works, an old edition.
    Looking around Google, Oxford Classics seems to be a good choice.

Or this one http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/books/review/20pevear.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The girl on the train, Paula Hawkins. There's a lot of hype about this book and it's not living up to it. It's good, the plot is fine but I'm not blown away by it and it's a bit hard to really care about the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

The Innocent by Harlan Coben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,345 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The girl on the train, Paula Hawkins. There's a lot of hype about this book and it's not living up to it. It's good, the plot is fine but I'm not blown away by it and it's a bit hard to really care about the characters.

Have you figured it out yet? I thought it was pretty good. I read it in two days last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 thedooner

I am reading J.V JONES A Cavern Of Black Ice on my phone right now but dang! I want to be reading John Connolly/Jennifer Ridyard's 2nd novel in the Conquest series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Just finished "The Murder Bag" by Tony Parsons which was a decent quality crime novel, now on to Gene Kerrigan's "The Rage" which is sort of like reading an episode of Love/Hate in book form.

Also reading "A World too Near" by Kay Kenyon which is a sci-fi novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I'm reading "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusack at the moment. It is beautifully written. There are so many loveable characters ( and some you will love to hate) . Set in Nazi Germany, the book is narrated by Death itself which makes it especially interesting. Definitely worth a read. I have a feeling that this will be one of those books that just stays with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    I'm reading "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusack at the moment. It is beautifully written. There are so many loveable characters ( and some you will love to hate) . Set in Nazi Germany, the book is narrated by Death itself which makes it especially interesting. Definitely worth a read. I have a feeling that this will be one of those books that just stays with me.

I read that one a while ago and really enjoyed it! I should go back and re-read it.

I just finished Serena by Ron Rash. It is quite dark, but I really enjoyed the characters. The only thing that was disappointing was that the ending seemed a little rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Just started Dawnthief - James Barclay

• Advertisement

Nearly finished Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Very funny book. Once that's done I have Gravitys Rainbow waiting to be read.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Nearly finished Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Very funny book. .

excellent book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Birneybau wrote: »
    Have you figured it out yet? I thought it was pretty good. I read it in two days last week.

Yep, just there! It was good alright. I do think it was a good read, just a little disappointing because of the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm half way through A Cat a Hat and a Piece of string. I love Joanne Harris books and this is a series of short stories, which makes a nice change after reading A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Rosie Rant wrote: »

Excellent read. On Alex Ferguson's autobiography. All the juicy bits are well known to football fans by now but worth a read anyway. I'm biased though

An officer and and a spy - Robert Harris novel based on the Dreyfus affair. only a hundred pages in - pretty good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 aine100

It's on Kindle Unlimited. It was excellent.
    read Girl on a train too. I must say I enjoyed it, but its the same as with Gone girl, its a good read, but because you don't actually "like" any of the characters it's difficult to care too much. Or maybe that's the point :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Just finished The Aftermath by Rhidian Brook. Interesting yarn about Germany in the late 1940s, and the process of rebuilding, denazification, etc.

Now on to Elizabeth Is Missing, which I've heard good things about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Just finished The Aftermath by Rhidian Brook. Interesting yarn about Germany in the late 1940s, and the process of rebuilding, denazification, etc.

Now on to Elizabeth Is Missing, which I've heard good things about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've started "The Magic Mountain" by Thomas Mann, as I had promised myself, and I must say I'm very positively surprised.

I'm reading it in German, and the language is pure joy - classical, that little bit old-fashioned, while at the same time full of colour and with a beautiful flow to it. I haven't read much in German in recent years, and then usually modern works or non-fiction, so with this book I'm re-discovering all the flavours, rhythms and shades that the language can offer. It's beautiful.

Aside from the language, the pace of the book is slow, but not tedious. The images and characters are drawn vividly and ever so slightly quaint.
    I'm only a quarter of the way through, so I will attempt any interpretations just yet, but the feeling I get is that the patients in the health resort/clinic represent individual nations before the outbreak of the first world war, and Mann is looking at all of them with the eye of a physician, while the actual doctors are focusing on entirely the wrong parts of the bodies.

If you have a long holiday coming up and want something to occupy your mind, I would heartily recommend this book.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement