Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945 by Tony Judt.

It should keep me busy for the next few weeks. It's not a small book and it's rich in detail! It has been recommended to me on a number of occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Collie D wrote: »
    If you like Homicide you should definitely check out The Corner. Same idea except this time the author hangs out on the other side of the law. I preferred The Corner - some very tragic characters, some with happy endings and others not so much.

Read both back to back and The Corner was definitely my favourite of the two. And I've never watched a single episode of The Wire

Will check it out, cheers. Meant to watch it on TV too but now that you mention it, the book is a better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

The History of Western Philosophy By Bertrand Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Exams distracted me for a while, and then I ended up reading Jacob Abbott's "History of Alexander the Great" and Sun Tzu's "The Art of War"... both of which have been on my to-read list for too long, but only now finally got through them.

So now I have gone back to reading Philip Pullman's "The Subtle Knife" and should have that finished today. Really didn't enjoy it as much as I did "Northern Lights". I guess I should read "The Amber Spyglass" next just to get it over and done with, but "The Subtle Knife" really disappointed me.

I have lately bought the following and am debating over which to start with:
    - The Ross O'Carroll-Kelly series
    - I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - Maya Angelou
    - The Disaster Artist - Greg Sestero
    - The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
    - 1984 - George Orwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Days of war,nights of love - crimethinc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Nothing Is True and Everything Is Possible: The Surreal Heart of the New Russia

It's a decent read but I'm about half way through and yet to get to any hard facts. It's all knowing glances and perceived threats so far.

The History of Western Philosophy By Bertrand Russell.
    Hands down, the best philosophy book of its type. He's very biased, but in a charming way. [troll]A bit like Russell Brand.[/troll]

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Have just started Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. I have heard so many excellent things about this author and apparently this book is a good place to start with him!

Have just started Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. I have heard so many excellent things about this author and apparently this book is a good place to start with him!

great book. but his slow and chilled style may not be for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

The Cocaine Diaries by Paul Keany. Great read!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If This Is A Man - Primo Levi

Life in the camp. It's an easy read. It's a hard read. It's a must read. Read it before you die.

Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith

The movie is coming out in April. Good little thriller. If you've seen "Citizen X" you know the jist. Serial killer on loose in Soviet Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sociopath2

The Prince by Machiavelli and King Warrior Magician Lover by Moore/Gillette.

A bit more esoteric than usual but enjoying KWML so far. The Prince is a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Sociopath2 wrote: »
    The Prince is a great read.

Deceptively deep and a surprisingly easy one. I think of it as the world's first book designed for reading on the toilet or during ad breaks. Which without indoor plumbing or TV was quite thoughtful of Machiavelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just finished The Childhood of Jesus by J.M. Coetzee.

Started very well but kind of meandered to a finish. Not as good as many of his earlier novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Reading a few different books at the moment. Mainly self help one and a psychometric one. Will go back to my usual girly books after I read that one. Last one I read was one by Claudia o carroll. Good book.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Really enjoyed reading Talisker - Miller Lau. Reading in a Scottish accent for the dialogue was hilarious

Now on to The Broken Eye (lightbringer #3) - Brent Weeks

Beyond good and evil by Friedrich Nietzsche.

So anyway by John Cleese - reveals the pure genius behind him. A truly intellectual man.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Loved Elizabeth is Missing; having had a grandmother go through something similar, it really touched me.

Now on to Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel.

Loved Elizabeth is Missing; having had a grandmother go through something similar, it really touched me.

Now on to Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Just finished the Eye of the World. Brilliant book.

Starting The Great Hunt now !

This series will take me a while to read :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

'The Grin of the Dark' by Ramsey Campbell. Have only read a couple of his short stories before so this is my first foray into his novels, and it's a very good read so far. I don't think I've ever come across a more creepy, eerie horror novel before, and I've read literally hundreds at this stage. Highly recommended.

Just ordered two AJ Jacobs books off the back of him doing an AMA thread here on boards all this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

just finished "the graveyard book" Neil Gaiman last night. brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Reading "enjoy the decline" by Aaron clarey again

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Jinonatron

Reading "Mao: The Unknown Story". Very interesting account of his rise to the top of the CCP and a very different account of events that are given by the Rulers of China today. The book has received some criticism for not sourcing evidence properly but overall I think it is a very decent read and gives a good account of a nasty piece of Chinese history.

Finished Station Eleven, and really enjoyed it. I don't think it's up there with Margaret Atwood's MaddAddam trilogy, for example, but it was thought-provoking.

Next up is Anna Hope's Wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

" We are all completely beside ourselves" Karen Joy Fowler. Really enjoying it. So far, it has lived up to the hype

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Reading The Alphabet House by Jussi Adler-Olsen at the moment, I might give it up though, it isn't very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

UpCork wrote:
    " We are all completely beside ourselves" Karen Joy Fowler. Really enjoying it. So far, it has lived up to the hype

finished this last week, now reading Mrs. Hemingway by Naomi Wood.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement