Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

UpCork wrote:
    " We are all completely beside ourselves" Karen Joy Fowler. Really enjoying it. So far, it has lived up to the hype

finished this last week, now reading Mrs. Hemingway by Naomi Wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I started on "Sworn Virgin" by Elvirs Dones, after reading about a film being made off it recently.

It's the story centering on a strange Albanian custom by which a girl, on swearing to remain a virgin, can "become" a man - society will treat her/him as a male, and grant him all the rights pertaining to men in this rather archaic society. Promisses to be very interesting indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Finished 'Flowers for Algernon' during the week and I can't recommend it highly enough, heartbreaking and humane.

Lashing through 'The Shining' now, great bloody book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Reading The Racketeer by John Grisham. Good enough so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭PNA

Me too, good book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Snakes in suits - about people with psychopathic tendencies in the workplace.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snakes-Suits-When-Psychopaths-Work/dp/0061147893

Would I recommend it? Absolutely not it is over 300 pages long and could have been written in 50 pages it is extremely repetitive and drawn out. Considering the two guys who wrote it have phd's I don't know what that says about them!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Just started Beggars of Life: A Hobo Autobiography by Jim tully

A bestseller in 1924, this vivid piece of outlaw history has inexplicably faded from the public consciousness. Jim Tully takes us across the seamy underbelly of pre-WWI America on freight trains, and inside hobo jungles and brothels while narrowly averting railroad bulls (cops) and wardens of order.

Written with unflinching honesty and insight, Beggars of Life follows Tully from his first ride at age thirteen, choosing life on the road over a deadening job, through his teenage years of learning the ropes of the rails and -living one meal to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭maxximus

Red Notice - How I became Putin's No 1 Enemy - Bill Browder

absolutely cracking read 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Starting 'The Godfather'-Mario Puzo. Tried to read it when I was 14 and gave up 150 pages in after not really bothering to remember which character was who and their storyline etc. so after seeing the film I'm giving it another bash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Starting 'The Godfather'-Mario Puzo. Tried to read it when I was 14 and gave up 150 pages in after not really bothering to remember which character was who and their storyline etc. so after seeing the film I'm giving it another bash!

Great book enjoy
    Puzo has some other great books
    Read them too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm cheating and listening to 'The Count of Monte Cristo'. I have some long commutes at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Armchair Nation by Joe Moran.

A history of Britain in front of the TV. Basically a funny cultural history of our relationship with our best friend down the decades. If you spend more time in front of the telly than you do talking to your husband / wife / dog/ cat, this book is for you.
    My cat used to sit on the TV to get my attention before I got the hint and bought a flatscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Bear In Mind These Dead by Susan McKay, about the victims of the Troubles & the long-term impact on their families, neighbours etc. Really riveting, but in an awful way. In light of a study published recently which said that some 100,000 people suffer from mental health issues relating to the Troubles, it seems an important book to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

This Book Will Save Your Life by A.M Holmes. Good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Keeping Up with the Kalashnikovs

The joke about sleeping with some girl, doing something foolish trying to sneak out, which will backfire later on the the book is way done too much now.

And I cringe every time someone says "yeah, no"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Halfway thru "Gone Girl",

Started quite good, but already I think it is too long.....it would want to start moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb (Farseer #1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Waters Flowing Eastwards by L. Fry. Pre war book on the authenticity of the notorious Protocols and on the Fabian movement. Would recommend if you like conspiracy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Just finished reading Her by Harriet Lane. It was ****e. There was so much potential, and I honestly thought the ending was a joke. I felt like hurling the book across the room in frustration and I don't condone violence against literature. It was such a disappointing book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Reading Arguably, a collection of Christopher Hitchens's writing. Everything from book reviews of Harry Potter to analyses of the situation in Afghanistan. Didn't always agree with Hitchens but he wrote extremely elegantly on everything he took an interest in & it's great to have so many great examples of his work in one place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,263 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Finished girl on the train 🚂 thought it was good, felt short enough

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Finished girl on the train 🚂 thought it was good, felt short enough

Enjoyed that too read it all in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

The stand, Stephen King. Just getting into it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Finished. 'Alone in Berlin ', by Hans Fallada. An account of an elderly couples resistance against Nazi regime. A tense thriller written in fiction however based on fact. Excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Moby dick

Actually quite enjoying it. Learning more about whale hunting than I probably ever needed but Melville makes it fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

qt3.14 wrote: »
    Moby dick

Actually quite enjoying it. Learning more about whale hunting than I probably ever needed but Melville makes it fascinating.

If you like nautical literature I would recommend 'Two years before the mast ', by Richard Henry Dana. A true account / diary of a trip from Boston around to California in the 1800s.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Re-reading I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith. It is one of my all-time favourites. I don't know a single other person who has read it (other than my sister, who I lent it to) which is so disappointing because it is lovely, and is such a classic.

Re-reading I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith. It is one of my all-time favourites. I don't know a single other person who has read it (other than my sister, who I lent it to) which is so disappointing because it is lovely, and is such a classic.

I LOVE I Capture the Castle. It's one of my all-time favourites too. And a strong heroine, in honour of International Women's Day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Halfway through Stalingrad by Anthony Beever. First proper history book I have read and while my interest in the subject battle probably clouds my view I have to say it's been excellent so far and really easy to read.

• Advertisement

Reading Fatherland by Robert Harris.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement