Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I rarely give up on books but I've given up on 'Dissolution' by CJ Sansom. I know people love this book but I just found it boring and tedious, and life is too short to waste time reading books you don't enjoy.

I couldn't choose what to read next, but then 'The Colour of Magic', the first in the Discworld series caught my eye. I'd been meaning to read it for ages and I figured that today being what it is, I might aswell start my first Terry Pratchett book. (Not including Good Omens)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

and life is too short to waste time reading books you don't enjoy.

I'm halfway through catch22 and it's taking me ages! Do I go on???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Well, that's a catch 22 situation if I ever saw one...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'll be re-reading the Terry Pratchett books that are sitting on my shelf - I'm just not sure which one to start with.
    The Rincewind series?
    The Witches?
    The Night Watch?
    Death?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Well, that's a catch 22 situation if I ever saw one...

Not really :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'll be re-reading the Terry Pratchett books that are sitting on my shelf - I'm just not sure which one to start with.
    The Rincewind series?
    The Witches?
    The Night Watch?
    Death?

That's a tough choice. I guess the Rincewind series are the official start. But the Witches and the Night Watch ones are my favorites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

If it hasn't fired you up by half way and you don't really care about the characters, I'd say give it up. Personally I loved it, but books are like that, look at Goodreads, all the classic books have their share of one star reviews.

I like people who have the courage to say they hated a book that the rest of the world is raving about. I don't like any of James Joyce's work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Thomas_.

If it hasn't fired you up by half way and you don't really care about the characters, I'd say give it up. Personally I loved it, but books are like that, look at Goodreads, all the classic books have their share of one star reviews.

I like people who have the courage to say they hated a book that the rest of the world is raving about. I don't like any of James Joyce's work.

I´m not a big fan of him myself too.

I don't like any of James Joyce's work.

I keep trying to read Ulysses, but so far never made it past page 150 or so.

I might start another attempt at one point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm the same with Jane Austen. I tried so hard to like her novels but all I could think while reading them was 'this woman loves her convoluted sentences'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Ulysses is a great book, but by no means an easy read. You have to be able to put yourself into a particular mindset & be prepared to change that mindset at the author's whim. The many different narrative styles used in the work can be confusing for people only used to straightforward fiction. A certain amount of background knowledge is useful before reading it. Read Homer's Odyssey first as the structure is based upon that. Read up on Irish & European politics & culture in the late Victorian period too (technically Post Victorian but would be basically the same).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

If Ulysses had never been written and was sent to an Agent/Publisher today, from an unknown writer, what kind of response do you think it would get?

Or, put it another way, if your mate said he'd written a book and wanted you to have a look before he sends it out - and he hands you Ulysses, what would you tell him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Starting 'The Godfather'-Mario Puzo. Tried to read it when I was 14 and gave up 150 pages in after not really bothering to remember which character was who and their storyline etc. so after seeing the film I'm giving it another bash!

I read the Godfather and the Sicilian by puzo years ago ,and enjoyed both.While I liked both books and their respective films .I found the Sicilian to be the most interesting as the main characters were based on factual characters.Salvatore Guiliano as the sicilian Robin Hood is particularly fasinating IMO.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Ulysses is a great book, but by no means an easy read. You have to be able to put yourself into a particular mindset & be prepared to change that mindset at the author's whim. The many different narrative styles used in the work can be confusing for people only used to straightforward fiction. A certain amount of background knowledge is useful before reading it. Read Homer's Odyssey first as the structure is based upon that. Read up on Irish & European politics & culture in the late Victorian period too (technically Post Victorian but would be basically the same).

I have read Homer's Odyssey, although I admit it's been quite a few years.

It's not so much struggling with the content, it's more not finding anything that makes me want to keep reading. So I start, get through the first 100 - 200 pages, then have to leave the book for whatever reason and don't return to it for a while. And when I do return, I find that nothing of those 100 - 200 pages has stuck to my memory, so I have to start over again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

'Doctor Sleep', the follow up to 'The Shining' by Stephen King.

Wish he hadn't wrote it to be honest, in no way reflects how good the original was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭random1337

The International Jew by Henry Ford

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I rarely give up on books but I've given up on 'Dissolution' by CJ Sansom. I know people love this book but I just found it boring and tedious, and life is too short to waste time reading books you don't enjoy.

I read Dominion by CJ Sansom a little while ago, it was boring and tedious too.

I'm reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel at the moment, it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I read The Cider House Rules last year and fell in love with it and wanted to try another Irving novel! So far I really like it- Irving has a very distinctive style of writing. Not entirely sure where the book is going, but Owen Meany is such an intriguing character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Christopher browning, Ordinary Men, Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland. I weep for humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Halfway thru "Gone Girl",

Started quite good, but already I think it is too long.....it would want to start moving.

I stuck with and finished it.....and shouldn't have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I stuck with and finished it.....and shouldn't have.

I got about 20 pages in and gave up, I hated every character presented in it. Thankfully I'd gotten a lend of it, I'd be fairly annoyed if I'd paid money for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I got about 20 pages in and gave up, I hated every character presented in it. Thankfully I'd gotten a lend of it, I'd be fairly annoyed if I'd paid money for that.

Also got a loan of it , read it , wouldn't recommend it , thought it was only me who didn't get what all the fuss was about :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm starting Different Seasons by Stephen King. It's a collection of novellas that contains the source material for the movies Apt Pupil, The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me. I really enjoyed the movies so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Really enjoyed the first Farseer book. Looking forward to reading the sequels

Just started The Warded Man - Peter V. Brett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Just finished 'One Second After' by William R. Forstchen. It's my favourite genre: post apocalyptic.

A world wide attack by forces unknown, sees three nuclear devices detonated above the atmosphere sending an electro-magnetic pulse to the surface, wiping out all electronic devices. Cars, trucks, communications and hospitals all shut down. Normal life in America grinds to a halt, with disastrous consequences.

While this is a work of fiction, it is entirely possible and is all the more chilling for that fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

12 years a slave because I liked the film

The guy who wrote it way back then sure was educated to a high level. Speaks better then anyone I know! Or maybe that was the way back then and people were extremely formal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I'm starting Different Seasons by Stephen King. It's a collection of novellas that contains the source material for the movies Apt Pupil, The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me. I really enjoyed the movies so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

A great read, especially Shawshank. It must be over thirty years ago I read it for the first time, and thought " now that is gonna make a great film some day"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Picked up a little gem in the library yesterday - "From Clearys Clock to Wanderly Wagon, Irish history you weren't taught in school" by Damien Corless.

A funny look at the stories behind some typically irish things like the black babies, mr tayto, the angelus etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Stechkin

The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century (2009) George Friedman

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

The Humans-Matthew Haig.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement