Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Wild - Cheryl Strayed, about half way thru. Very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The year I met you - Cecelia Ahern.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've started "Double Negative" by Ivan Vladislavic.
    The story is about a white kid growing up in South Africa under Apartheid, going to the UK to study and returning to a transfromed country. It's a very good read, I would definitely recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Stephen King's IT

absolute masterclass in fiction.

One of the most under rated authors EVER.

3rd time reading it, character development in this book is best I've ever read.
    Only book I read and feel so sad at the end / like I MISS the characters.

If you haven't read it , I highly recommend it.

it's a long read (~ 1300 pages) but just flies by...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

While I agree completely about how good It is, I don't think you could possibly call Stephen King underrated :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

While I agree completely about how good It is, I don't think you could possibly call Stephen King underrated :)

Good, I hope not, unfortunately I meet so many literature snobs who just think he's gory trash for lowest common denominator readers :mad:

really annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

the_monkey wrote: »
    Good, I hope not, unfortunately I meet so many literature snobs who just think he's gory trash for lowest common denominator readers :mad:

really annoys me.
    Their loss, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton.
    I'm about a quarter of the way through, it's good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

the_monkey wrote: »
    Stephen King's IT

absolute masterclass in fiction.

One of the most under rated authors EVER.

3rd time reading it, character development in this book is best I've ever read.
    Only book I read and feel so sad at the end / like I MISS the characters.

If you haven't read it , I highly recommend it.

it's a long read (~ 1300 pages) but just flies by...

I'm reading this at the moment too, first time for me. Enjoying it thoroughly.

I have met the literature snobs who think Stephen King to be "pulp fiction" as well, and it IS their loss.

I have read widely across several genres of English literature in the course of doing a degree in it, and I can honestly say that Stephen King is one of the greatest masters of storytelling. He has the omniscient narrator down to a fine art, creating memorable characters and incredible twists.

Anyway I don't think SK cares what these people think about him. He's minted, and deservedly so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I own every book he's written, by far my favourite author of all time, have had a good few people sneer at my Stephen King shelf when they see it but f**k them, if you havent read things like IT, The Stand, The Shining and the Dark Tower series you're missing out on life, even his short stories that I read 10-15 years ago are still burned into my brain like no other author out there, dont know how he does it tbh. the only book Ive ever hated of his has been Cell, that was truly abysmal.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    I own every book he's written, by far my favourite author of all time, have had a good few people sneer at my Stephen King shelf when they see it but f**k them, if you havent read things like IT, The Stand, The Shining and the Dark Tower series you're missing out on life, even his short stories that I read 10-15 years ago are still burned into my brain like no other author out there, dont know how he does it tbh. the only book Ive ever hated of his has been Cell, that was truly abysmal.

And I still need to start the Dark Tower series :):):):)

It's all ahead of me !

Gunslinger is the 1st yeah ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yes Gunslinger was the first, written many years before the rest of the series and put in a bin by King before it was finished and before he was a major author, it was saved by his wife and then finished by him a few years later so don't expect it to be wonderful start to the series but its an okay book and only 224 pages long, every book after that is better than the one before and all of them are great reads in their own right.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I envy anyone who has the Dark Tower series still ahead of them :D I've read through them twice, such a great world to get lost in.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson. Brilliant book. Read it in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

I just started reading this book called Flowertown, cant think of the name of the author who wrote it. It was €1 for the kindle version there at the weekend, and so far, so good! Its kind of dystopian, sci-fi but not too bad so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I envy anyone who has the Dark Tower series still ahead of them :D I've read through them twice, such a great world to get lost in.

I've never heard of these! Going off to Amazon now to have a nosey, I could do with getting lost in another world!

eviltwin wrote: »
    Picked up a little gem in the library yesterday - "From Clearys Clock to Wanderly Wagon, Irish history you weren't taught in school" by Damien Corless.

A funny look at the stories behind some typically irish things like the black babies, mr tayto, the angelus etc.

Sounds right up my street, so I just bought it there a few seconds ago, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

eviltwin wrote: »
    Picked up a little gem in the library yesterday - "From Clearys Clock to Wanderly Wagon, Irish history you weren't taught in school" by Damien Corless.

A funny look at the stories behind some typically irish things like the black babies, mr tayto, the angelus etc.
    eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Sounds right up my street, so I just bought it there a few seconds ago, thanks

I've seen that, in passing, in bookshops. Sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Am currently reading 'A Spool of Blue Thread' by Anne Tyler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I'm about to start on William Friedkin's "Exorcist". I'm told it is marginally more terrifying than the movie.

McChubbin wrote: »
    I'm about to start on William Friedkin's "Exorcist". I'm told it is marginally more terrifying than the movie.

Read it years ago (in the 70's) and I remember it a a great read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

William Peter Blatty.

Birneybau wrote: »
    William Peter Blatty.

Yes correct:D

Was friedkin the director?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Yes correct:D

Was friedkin the director?

Correct : D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I'm currently visiting the hideous nation of Panem. When I'm done there, in a week or so, I'm going to take myself off to The Discword to get reacquainted with my old friend, DEATH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I'm reading this at the moment too, first time for me. Enjoying it thoroughly.

I have met the literature snobs who think Stephen King to be "pulp fiction" as well, and it IS their loss.

I have read widely across several genres of English literature in the course of doing a degree in it, and I can honestly say that Stephen King is one of the greatest masters of storytelling. He has the omniscient narrator down to a fine art, creating memorable characters and incredible twists.

Anyway I don't think SK cares what these people think about him. He's minted, and deservedly so. :D

SK rates Maeve Binchy in a similar light. Initially I thought he was taking the piss, then I picked up one my mothers books. Chapter after chapter flows. If you want to write, reading King and Binchy is a good starting point. They know people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

I'm currently visiting the hideous nation of Panem. When I'm done there, in a week or so, I'm going to take myself off to The Discword to get reacquainted with my old friend, DEATH.

Panem is hunger games yes? I detested the direction it went in after the first book. The only time I've finished a book and felt angry at the author.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The thief of time by John Boyne(He of 'The boy in the stripped pyjamas' fame). Its an interesting read but very very slow. It jumps all over the place in time and at first I was gonna bin it after 3 chapters but happy now I stuck with it.

Mathieu Zela is 256 years old. He reached 50 years of age and never looked any older than that. Read as he meets some of the most important historical figures of the last 250 years.

Some have described the book as Forrest Gump-esque as the author puts his character in some of the most important events in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm very slowly reading The Covenant by James A. Michener, a sort-of historical novel about South Africa. It's a bit of a random one, recommended by my dad. Seems interesting albeit slow-moving, and the author has a lovely writing style.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I made a start at getting through my Terry Pratchett collection again.

At first, I was wondering which characters to go with first, and thought I'd then read the books in sequence. Now, I've decided to ditch that approach and just start with the ones I've read the fewest times so far.
    Yesterday, I read "Equal Rites" - which is an awful lot better than I remembered! And now I started on "Going Postal".
    I might go for "Jingo" next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Finished A Clash of Kings last night and started A Storm of Swords. Trying to get as much out of the way before season 5 comes on the telly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement