Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Spunge wrote: »
    midnight tides, the 5th book in the Malazan series. First one that didnt confuse the fudge out of me, even though it has quite a few characters

Completely new set of characters on a completely new unknown continent set slightly before the events of the 4th book. I was reading it all the while saying to myself "Where's the ****ing desert gone". Also the intrusion from the pantheon tends to be more comprehend able and generally occurs at the end of the book. It took me a while to get to grips with the fact that the author isn't going to explain any of what he's writing about when I started book one. Some of it may make more sense in another books time IF the story naturally goes in that direction.

I got a new kindle this week. Why oh why did I never have one of these before?

Just finished The Girl on The Train. It was good. Not brilliant.

Starting Gone Girl now, finally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

I got a new kindle this week. Why oh why did I never have one of these before?

Just finished The Girl on The Train. It was good. Not brilliant.

Starting Gone Girl now, finally.

Sell me its advantages. I'm still unsure.

Working my way through Four Quarters of Light: An Alaskan Journey by Brian Keenan. Really enjoying it though I'm a little obsessed with Alaska.

The Peanut wrote: »
    Sell me its advantages. I'm still unsure

It's just easy. It's everywhere I am. I can read it anywhere at all and its not a big heavy book (granted the only book I've read on it wouldn't have been massive in real life form). It fits in my pocket. I can read it lying down without feeling the weight on my wrist. I can leave it lying on the table without having to hold the pages open. When you're finished a book you can have another one immediately!

I'm only sorry I didn't buy one sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It's just easy. It's everywhere I am. I can read it anywhere at all and its not a big heavy book (granted the only book I've read on it wouldn't have been massive in real life form). It fits in my pocket. I can read it lying down without feeling the weight on my wrist. I can leave it lying on the table without having to hold the pages open.

I have an original American-spec Kindle that the brother brought me from New York in 2009. It has WhisperNet, which is quite cool, and it is a wonderful bit of kit. I wouldn't have bought it myself in a fit, but I'm glad I have it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

But it doesn't have the smell of a book

/old fashioned

:D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

The Peanut wrote: »
    Sell me its advantages. I'm still unsure.

Working my way through Four Quarters of Light: An Alaskan Journey by Brian Keenan. Really enjoying it though I'm a little obsessed with Alaska.

Adv of e-readers in general or the new Kindle? I have the basic kindle no back light and no net, both of which don't bother me. Who wants to read in a dark room anyway? Only time I though a back light would be really useful would be reading on a dark train or plane maybe. All my e reader concerns before getting it like reading from a screen, it'll feel funny, I like the feel of paper etc.... they were all BS. I love the thing AND if you so inclined to make use of torrents, free books..... Not that I advocate that as it's bad for the book industry :cool:

It's just easy. It's everywhere I am. I can read it anywhere at all and its not a big heavy book (granted the only book I've read on it wouldn't have been massive in real life form). It fits in my pocket. I can read it lying down without feeling the weight on my wrist. I can leave it lying on the table without having to hold the pages open. When you're finished a book you can have another one immediately!

This is exactly what I'm hearing; I'm going to have to take the plunge. I'm really hoping it'll kick-start my reading again. It's the convenience really.

/old fashioned

I love libraries and I love browsing bookshops; you can't beat the feel of a book. I'm brilliant for buying books; reading them is a whole different ballgame.

fizzypish wrote: »
    Adv of e-readers in general or the new Kindle? I have the basic kindle no back light and no net, both of which don't bother me. Who wants to read in a dark room anyway? Only time I though a back light would be really useful would be reading on a dark train or plane maybe. All my e reader concerns before getting it like reading from a screen, it'll feel funny, I like the feel of paper etc.... they were all BS. I love the thing AND if you so inclined to make use of torrents, free books..... Not that I advocate that as it's bad for the book industry :cool:

I have the basic, original Kindle as well, but because it was bought in New York it has functioning WhisperNet, which is Amazon's own carrier for book downloads and basic Web browsing, in cahoots with various mobile operators and is free at the point of use. I have the Kindle Android app as well, so when I actually want backlighting (which is rare) I can use that on a high-end smartphone.

• Advertisement

Oh I just have the kindle touch. No backlight. None of Yer fancy shtuff. Though I touch to turn pages etc. I'm sure other ereaders are as good.

"It's just not the same" was my argument. And no, it's not, it's better!

I still think kids should read actual books until they are pretty competent readers. I think the sense of achievement of moving from books with a few words on a page to books with no pictures and smaller writing and more pages should continue. The achievement and satisfaction of looking at a big book knowing they've read it all shouldn't be taken away by technology. Once you're past that stage though, I'm now a kindle believer :P

..I think the sense of achievement of moving from books with a few words on a page to books with no pictures and smaller writing and more pages should continue...

Hell yeah. I hardly ever go outside the lines with my crayons anymore. :D

You actually retain information better from a real book than an e-reader. Not a big deal for novels and such, but I agree that kids should start reading from real books before moving onto kindles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Who wants to read in a dark room anyway?

This is also useful for reading in bed, not disturbing the wife with a light on. I've been reading much more since I got the kindle, someone mentioned Gravity's Rainbow on here and I had a sample downloaded within 30 seconds.

This is also useful for reading in bed, not disturbing the wife with a light on. I've been reading much more since I got the kindle, someone mentioned Gravity's Rainbow on here and I had a sample downloaded within 30 seconds.

How's the back light on the eyes? Does it make the screen more "screeny" and less etch a sketch like?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Another supporter of kindle here. I was initially sceptical, but I love it now, for the convenience and ease of carrying my reading with me, and being able to have books quickly.

That said, I have one of the older, non-backlit ones, and I don't think I would like one with a backlight, would feel too much like a screen then.

You actually retain information better from a real book than an e-reader. Not a big deal for novels and such, but I agree that kids should start reading from real books before moving onto kindles.

On my one and only example of reading a book on a kindle, I would personally disagree with that. I definitely knew my way around the story and charachters better than usual. That of course could be the book itself, but it felt easier.

I can't compare myself, not having an e-reader. I do know I much prefer to read papers printed off than off my laptop though, and definitely feel I pick things up easier that way. Could be personal preference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Who wants to read in a dark room anyway?:

Me! My kindle can sit up with the case so I turn off the lights, lie down with my hands under the covers and just poke out a finger to turn the page. Super comfortable and I doze off as I'm reading.

How's the back light on the eyes? Does it make the screen more "screeny" and less etch a sketch like?

It can be set any way you like and also has an automatic sensor that adjusts, but sometimes can flicker a little in alternating light, eg, by an open fire.
    In my experience, and this goes for paper or kindle books, when a book is dragging, everything is a distraction, but when it draw you in, nothing is going to distract you from it.

• Advertisement

I can't compare myself, not having an e-reader. I do know I much prefer to read papers printed off than off my laptop though, and definitely feel I pick things up easier that way. Could be personal preference though.

I can't read for long on a laptop and I got the kindle app on my iPad and didn't use it. This is like reading paper though. Totally different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I don't think I could enjoy an e-reader. I find myself skimming text on screens rather than properly digesting it to be honest.

Also I spend a lot of time in front of screens because of college/work so I started reading books as an escape from constant technology!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I have had a Kindle for a couple of years, and thought they were the best thing since the proverbial sliced bread (and I would have one of the "Ah no, its not the same" brigade). Brilliant, convenient, easy to source off the wall books, and great going on hols. I still have a few paper books on the go. Especially good if you need something in a hurry, and you dont have to get off your ass, in to town, park & pay. However at Xmas, kids bought me the Ipad, and I much prefer that to the Kindle ( oldish basic model to be fair).

Anyway, back onto what I'm actually reading :)

Recently finished up Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch. I loved The Secret History and had high hopes for this, but was a little disappointed in the end. A good book, no doubt, but I found the plot and characters a little outlandish.

Started on The Odyssey, having read The Iliad last year. Love Greek mythology :D.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    easy to source off the wall books.

Yes, I like that too. Was watching a doc called Sacred wonders of Britain, someone mentioned the roman chronicler Tacitus and his account of a battle 2000 years ago, had it downloaded and was reading his words off my phone within a few minutes. Most of the old classics are free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Hopping freight trains in america by Duffy littlejohn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

It's not really a back light at all.
    The light is projected from the edges of the screen. Completely different experience than reading off a tablet or phone - which is basically like having a torch shone in your face.

I was dubious about the Paperwhite given it cost a bit more than the regular version, but having had it around 18month now, I would recommend.

/old fashioned

You can get pretty nice leather covers. Not the same as a book, but getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Just finished The Girl on the Train. It was an easy read but the ending was predictable.

I have the kindle Paperwhite too & love it. Despite the backlight, it doesn't feel like reading off a computer screen.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

gutenberg wrote: »
    Another supporter of kindle here. I was initially sceptical, but I love it now, for the convenience and ease of carrying my reading with me, and being able to have books quickly.

This is quite funny, considering your username... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

New Home wrote: »
    This is quite funny, considering your username... ;)

I like to think Johannes would also have been a fan of kindles, considering his advocacy of new technology ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement