Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

It's just easy. It's everywhere I am. I can read it anywhere at all and its not a big heavy book (granted the only book I've read on it wouldn't have been massive in real life form). It fits in my pocket. I can read it lying down without feeling the weight on my wrist. I can leave it lying on the table without having to hold the pages open. When you're finished a book you can have another one immediately!

I'm only sorry I didn't buy one sooner.
    I love the kindle too. I have a basic one without a back light (but I got a cover which has a little reading lamp built in), I take it everywhere. Battery life is great (it lasts at least a week, and that's even if I use the lamp a lot).

I love the dictionary, it's so handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I love the dictionary, it's so handy.

This. I used to read things and infer from context what a particular word meant to a sentence. Now I actually know what the word means. Brilliant tool! This actually is a massive pro of the kindle!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The kindle is one of the best inventions ever. Certainly my favourite. Such a simple thing too,can store more books that one can possibly read, the dictionary function is great, and a single charge lasts me weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

the rape of nanking - What a harrowing read that is, felt numb after reading it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

The Dunning man i felt it was like a lot other recent novels to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

The Dunning man i felt it was like a lot other recent novels to be honest.

Worth buying though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Worth buying though?
    I like short stories. There are six. But they do read like a lot of other recent stuff.
    Very testosterone driven, which is not bad at all. Boozy ...all in transit lots of bus stations etc Few clichés here and there.

It's set in different places. But the same transit style with drugs and sex etc. So even though it's in diff places it seems the same.

The narration and writing is good. But some lines are a bit clichéd.

Bits are funny bits are sad.

Yeah worth buying. But It's not one I would re read and read again if you know what i mean. But it could just not be for me. But what I like about short stories are that if you don't want to read the whole book again you can just dip in for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Just got a batch of Tom Sharpe Novels, haven't read them in a long long time - but used to love them.

Was'nt sure if I would still get the humour but 1st book, 2nd page had this beauty.....

"He's a beautiful Baby, said the Sisiter, with greater regard for the Mother's feelings than the facts. The Child's beauty was of the sort usually seen after a particularly nasty car accident."

Should be a happy few weeks reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Just finished Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett. It is my sixth Discworld novel. I think it ties with Mort as my favourite so far. I absolutely loved every single character, and the book had be laughing on public transport more than once :D I was originally going to attempt to read the Discworld chronologically (I read the first 5 in publishing order) but after his passing I just figured I'd go ahead and read any of them that appealed to me. I am either gonna read another of the City Watch Discworld novels next, or I might move on to Going Postal because it sounds brilliant and everyone seems to rave about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Pure Mule

First time on this thread. Skimmed through the first few posts. Reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tart on Kindle. A almost there but a gripping read has slowed a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Just started The Book Thief.

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Affair-Jefferson-Revolution-1785-1800/dp/0226616533/ref=la_B001IXPYRM_1_5/180-1924618-9901169?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1426984912&sr=1-5
    An eye-watering dismantling of the reputation of Thomas Jefferson by Conor Cruise O'Brien.

As racist a brute as you'll find on any confederate porch was old Thomas J., and his parish-pumping antics make our lot look positively Nordic.

It's the most unexpected biograhical twist I've read since Geri Halliwell, in her autobiography, heaped praise instead of bitchy scandal on her former spice-sisters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Cecilia Ahern's "The Year I Met You"

Nearly 100 pages in and basically nothing happening in it whatsoever, and I'm so bored, but I'm travelling and it's the only book I have with me, so persevering for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

A good book, no doubt, but I found the plot and characters a little outlandish.

+1, had heard so much about the goldfinch, I was disappointed, thought it slowed in parts, found it hard to stay interested & came back to it 2/3 times before I finished it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

denis160 wrote: »
    +1, had heard so much about the goldfinch, I was disappointed, thought it slowed in parts, found it hard to stay interested & came back to it 2/3 times before I finished it.

Yeah I really found it hard getting through the final quarter or so of the book.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Just finished Flatland.
    Not a depiction of Rathmines in the boom but an 1884 novella by Edwin Abbott.
    Social satire of Victorian era and meditation on n-dimensional geometry all in one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just finished Flatland.
    Not a depiction of Rathmines in the boom but an 1884 novella by Edwin Abbott.
    Social satire of Victorian era and meditation on n-dimensional geometry all in one.

Loved that book, read it last year, I followed it with the official follow up.
    There's a few would be sequels but the one I read was called Flatterland, well worth checking out, much deeper mathematically and still has something to say about the treatment of non conformists and women in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Just finished The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer.

Loved it, stunning book well worth reading.. but sure that's hardly news to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes

Decent thriller and a good page turner, will probably make a great movie some day.

Zippie84 wrote: »
    Cecilia Ahern's "The Year I Met You"

Nearly 100 pages in and basically nothing happening in it whatsoever, and I'm so bored, but I'm travelling and it's the only book I have with me, so persevering for now...

I did that when I was on holidays last month with a book called "Last Kiss" in fairness there was stuff happening, people being murdered and the likes but it was the worst pile of shyte of a book but it was the only book I had :/

• Advertisement

Reading The Forever War - Joe Haldeman. Its really good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

shockwave wrote: »

Decent thriller and a good page turner, will probably make a great movie some day.

I just finished that. Really enjoyed it.

I am reading The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins at the moment. Enjoying it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Quite a good read, i look forward to his next book,

Yes i can see a film in this one too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Daisy03 wrote: »
    I just finished that. Really enjoyed it.

I am reading The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins at the moment. Enjoying it so far.

Just got it yesterday, a couple of chapters in and its looking very good.

Thanks

loved The Forever War - Joe Haldeman. its a pity its so short

currently reading Neuromancer - William Gibson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

The Casual Vacancy - by yer one that gave the world Harry Potter. It was a gift and I resisted reading it as I am not a fan of H.Potter, but so far I have to say the Casual Vacancy is a very pleasant surprise. I picked it up as it was given to me by someone I'll see next weekend and I wanted to be able to say I'd started reading the book without having the obligation of having to make much in depth commentary. Picked it up on Friday and read a few hundred pages over the weekend.

Story of a small town council and the "casual vacancy" after the death of one of it's councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The Casual Vacancy - by yer one that gave the world Harry Potter. It was a gift and I resisted reading it as I am not a fan of H.Potter, but so far I have to say the Casual Vacancy is a very pleasant surprise. I picked it up as it was given to me by someone I'll see next weekend and I wanted to be able to say I'd started reading the book without having the obligation of having to make much in depth commentary. Picked it up on Friday and read a few hundred pages over the weekend.

Story of a small town council and the "casual vacancy" after the death of one of it's councillors.

I really enjoyed this book. And the BBC made a mini series from it which aired recently... Have not seen it yet but I have it on Sky+....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You actually retain information better from a real book than an e-reader. Not a big deal for novels and such, but I agree that kids should start reading from real books before moving onto kindles.
    A study of 50 people is hardly conclusive...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

loved The Forever War - Joe Haldeman. its a pity its so short
    You know theres Forever Peace and Forever Free afterwards dont you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Basster wrote: »
    Our Man in Havana, Graham Greene. Haven't read anything by him in years. Funny book, very enjoyable.

Finished Brighton Rock a few weeks back, terrifying read, though the movie probably beats it for a change!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement