Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Thargor wrote: »
    You know theres Forever Peace and Forever Free afterwards dont you?

well I do now 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this book. And the BBC made a mini series from it which aired recently... Have not seen it yet but I have it on Sky+....

Am overseas so I wasn't aware of the mini-series, I'll definitely download the series if I can after I finish the book !

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tomglsn

Just finished Stephen King's Revival. I really enjoyed it. Starting Glue by Irvine Welsh now.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

Just finished reading Henryk Sienkiewicz's epic trilogy. Free on the Kindle. Like Lord of the Rings only real. Historically accurate novels of 17th century wars in Poland and the Ukraine. Warriors rescuing princesses from castles, blood, thunder & romance.......unputdownable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Just finished reading Henryk Sienkiewicz's epic trilogy. Free on the Kindle. Like Lord of the Rings only real. Historically accurate novels of 17th century wars in Poland and the Ukraine. Warriors rescuing princesses from castles, blood, thunder & romance.......unputdownable.

Thanks for that.

Free you say?:D I will give that a shot.

Am reading "The Legendary "LUGS" Brannigan" . about a third of the way in, fairly interesting so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is the God Delusion worth a read in peoples opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. I love a good post-apocalyptic novel! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Read it years ago but yeah.

I'm reading a book about Rasputin, not great, and Kim Gordon's (Sonic Youth) memoir, great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Just finished 'the stand'by stephen king.

Again he bored the tits off me but it was a good story in fairness.Much prefer his short stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Endymion - Dan Simmons. I loved the first 2 Hyperion books so I hope this one is as good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Cosmos - carl sagan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

The Casual Vacancy - by yer one that gave the world Harry Potter. It was a gift and I resisted reading it as I am not a fan of H.Potter, but so far I have to say the Casual Vacancy is a very pleasant surprise. I picked it up as it was given to me by someone I'll see next weekend and I wanted to be able to say I'd started reading the book without having the obligation of having to make much in depth commentary. Picked it up on Friday and read a few hundred pages over the weekend.

Story of a small town council and the "casual vacancy" after the death of one of it's councillors.

I remember it was torn to bits by the critics when it first came out, but I have to say I really enjoyed reading it.
    Yes, the social conscience was laid on a bit thick, but overall most characters were well rounded and believable, and the story had a good, easy flow to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Depends on you, really.

It's nowhere near as foam-at-the-mouth hateful as some people would have you believe, Dawkins lays out the reasoning for his arguments in simple, clear language. So if you're just curious, by all means go for it.

If you're looking for an in-depth, philosophical approach you might be disappointed, though. People tend to forget that Dawkins is a biologist, not a theologian or philosopher, so this book is rather more simple than you might expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

I personally think 'God is not Great' by Christopher Hitchens is a much better read.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. I love a good post-apocalyptic novel! :)

Few beat it in its genre. Other John Wyndham books are very much worth checking out too.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

quickbeam wrote: »
    Few beat it in its genre. Other John Wyndham books are very much worth checking out too.

Read a synopsis there and it sounds pretty intriguing, I take it you'd recommend it?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Read a synopsis there and it sounds pretty intriguing, I take it you'd recommend it?

I do. It's not a long book but it crams a lot in to its story and there's a lot more to it than just killer plants on the rampage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Another vote for Day Of The Triffids here. Read it years ago & there's so much more going on in it than the plants thing. In fact you could almost take that element out & still have a great novel. Themes range from the relationship between humans & their technology to power structures & the caprices of fate which can place one in the ranks of the master or servant. Absolutely fascinating & elegantly written book which should stay in your memory for long after you read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Another vote for Day of the Triffids here too! Excellent stuff.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'll add it to the list so ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Just read a sample of Day of The Triffids - gotta love Kindle :) - and it looks great so just bought it to add to my ever increasing to read list.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Started The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm dying to read that... His books are amazing! Although... I found Number9Dream too gruesome and violent in parts (for instance, the bowling scene is something that I'll never be able to erase from my memory), and I didn't find Black Swan Green as engaging as his other books, but he writes so well they're a pleasure to read regardless.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've just started reading Lila by Marilynne Robinson, and I can tell even from the first few lines that I'll have to add it to the 'Books that changed your life' thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Stephen King - 'The Dead Zone'. About 35% of the way through (thanks kindle :D). It's interesting so far. Not sure where it's going to go though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

The Silo Series

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Over 5000 posts!!! Loving this thread. Thanks all for your posts.

I'm picking up 11/22/63 by Stephen King again. I put it down half way through and I'm not sure why...

Looking forward to getting back into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I've just finished Truman Capote's 'in Cold Blood'. Far better the second time around and similar to a certain case that concluded this week in Dublin, it really is the little things and good police work that catches killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

The Silo Series

Is that the series with Wool, Dust etc? I read Wool as I was intrigued by the concept, but I just found it so hard-going and tedious in places. It does liven up at certain moments, but I did give up after the first book as I couldn't face the idea of reading the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes. Its about Australian women during WW2 who travelled to the UK to marry British soldiers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement