Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

New Home wrote: »
    I'm dying to read that... His books are amazing! Although... I found Number9Dream too gruesome and violent in parts (for instance, the bowling scene is something that I'll never be able to erase from my memory), and I didn't find Black Swan Green as engaging as his other books, but he writes so well they're a pleasure to read regardless.

Loved Black Swan Green and Cloud Atlas. Haven't read Number9Dream, though I may avoid it now on your advice :P So far I'm enjoying The Bone Clocks, although the background story is still very much unfolding. Though the section I'm reading now is set in the UK city where I currently live, so it's familiar, but he's also made up some places/streets etc., so that's fun too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Picked back up "you can't win" by jack black and have to say its a good read,I'll let google do the synopsis:

You hold in your hands a true lost classic, one of the most legendary cult books every published in America. Jack Black's autobiography was a bestseller and went through five printings in the late 1920's. It has led a mostly subterranean existence since then - best known as William S. Burrough's favorite book, one he admitted lifting big chunks of from memory for his first novel, Junky. But it's time we got wise to this book, which is in itself a remarkably wise book - and a ripping true saga. It's an amazing journey into the hobo underworld: freight hopping around the still wide open West at the turn of the 20th century, becoming a member of the "yegg" (criminal) brotherhood and a highwayman, learning the outlaw philosophy from Foot-and-a-half George and the Sanctimonious Kid, getting hooked on opium, passing through hobo jungles, hop joints and penitentiaries. This is a chunk of the American story entirely left out of the history books .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

That sounds like a great read alright Evasion Kid. Isn't it amazing the guy found the time to do all that & still star in Nacho Libre & Rock School?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Custardpi wrote: »
    That sounds like a great read alright Evasion Kid. Isn't it amazing the guy found the time to do all that & still star in Nacho Libre & Rock School?

Maybe he invented the time machine too

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Importance Of Being Ernest by Oscar Wilde

I'm about a fifth of the way. Quite a few laughs in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I started The Little Prince. It's been in my parents' house since I have living memory and never got into reading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The Tommyknockers - Stephen King

Really enjoying this, it's not up there with his best, but it's a great story nonetheless ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

gutenberg wrote: »
    Is that the series with Wool, Dust etc? I read Wool as I was intrigued by the concept, but I just found it so hard-going and tedious in places. It does liven up at certain moments, but I did give up after the first book as I couldn't face the idea of reading the rest.

Hi Gutenberg!

Yeah that's it. I'm on the second book of the series, Shift. I'm enjoying it actually. Without giving anything away, it does explain a couple of things relating to the first book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

gutenberg wrote: »
    Loved Black Swan Green and Cloud Atlas. Haven't read Number9Dream, though I may avoid it now on your advice :P So far I'm enjoying The Bone Clocks, although the background story is still very much unfolding. Though the section I'm reading now is set in the UK city where I currently live, so it's familiar, but he's also made up some places/streets etc., so that's fun too :D

I am going on holiday in a few weeks and I always take a few books with me, The Bone Clocks is exactly the kind of book I like so that will be one, I loved Cloud Atlas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

A dance with dragons - George RR Martin

(fifth in the Game of Thrones series)

Would I recommend it? hell yes! but only after reading the other four first..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Heard Cynthia Lennon passed about an hour ago so I'm going picking up my copy of "John" again.
    It's a great read for anyone interested in The Beatles or just 1960's music in general!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

"Someone Like Me" by John W. Quinn about an American guy who hid the fact that he had cerebral palsy so he could join the Navy. Although he ended up in an administrative role he still had to pass the physical entrance exam and later avoid doctors if at all possible.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

After years of putting it on the long finger, I finally started reading Terry Pratchett, the first Discworld book, The Colour of Magic yesterday. I'm only a few pages in so hard to say just yet. I'll be gutted if I can't get into it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Finished 'the dead zone'. Really enjoyed it! Continuing with King now and just started 'firestarter'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Finished Stephen King's Under the Dome. Really didn't like it; I felt it was overly long, too bogged down in totally irrelevant details, and the resolution left me going 'What?!'.

Rereading the Walking Dead comics now, and enjoying them very much.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

kylith wrote: »
    Finished Stephen King's Under the Dome. Really didn't like it; I felt it was overly long, too bogged down in totally irrelevant details, and the resolution left me going 'What?!'.

I enjoyed it for the most part, though it was definitely a "Stephen King" ending.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

73Cat wrote: »
    After years of putting it on the long finger, I finally started reading Terry Pratchett, the first Discworld book, The Colour of Magic yesterday. I'm only a few pages in so hard to say just yet. I'll be gutted if I can't get into it :(

I found Color of Magic difficult. It's good to go back when you understand his humour a bit better but if that one doesn't gel with you don't give up on them. I read half of color. Left the books for ages then randomly picked up Jingo which a mate had finished reading in work. Loved it and went from there.

I found Color of Magic difficult. It's good to go back when you understand his humour a bit better but if that one doesn't gel with you don't give up on them. I read half of color. Left the books for ages then randomly picked up Jingo which a mate had finished reading in work. Loved it and went from there.

The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, while great, are difficult to get into because they're more 'Dungeons and Dragons-y' than others in the series. I would always recommend Mort, or one of the stand alones like Small Gods, to newcomers.

I enjoyed it for the most part, though it was definitely a "Stephen King" ending.

Maybe he's just an author you have to 'get', and I don't? Any of his books that I've read I just find very unsatisfying, it's like he writes three quarters of a good book and then goes "Oh, sht! I totally forgot about the ending!" and tacks on some otherworldly nonsense with no explanation and no real attachment to the rest of the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

kylith wrote: »
    The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, while great, are difficult to get into because they're more 'Dungeons and Dragons-y' than others in the series. I would always recommend Mort, or one of the stand alones like Small Gods, to newcomers.

Thanks :). So far, so good with the book. I believe it doesn't matter too much what order you read them in?
    The last book I read was an old Dean Koontz one, One Door Away from Heaven, I found the ending very disappointing.
    I'm big into Stephen King for years. Next on my list is Mr. Mercedes. I have to get that read in time for Finders Keepers this summer :)

• Advertisement

73Cat wrote: »
    Thanks :). So far, so good with the book. I believe it doesn't matter too much what order you read them in?
    I'd recommend at least reading each 'series' in chronological order, but the order in which you read the serieses doesn't matter so much. So I'd go Witches 1, Witches 2, Witches 3, etc. Watch 1, Watch 2, Watch 3, etc. Death 1, Death 2, Death 3, etc. But it doesn't really* matter if you read Witches, Watch, Death, or Death, Wizards, Moist, or whatever. Here's a handy guide:
    http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

*There are things like technological advances that will be shared across books written at the same time so you may find yourself reading a Witches book and wondering what the hell this 'clacks' thing is because you haven't read the Watch book where it appears first, but overall it's not a problem.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

OSI wrote: »
    Finished Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes. About Hitler finding himself waking up in a modern Germany, and his rapid rise to celeb status in new media. Quite good, and at times funny. Also a bit of an eye opener on how quickly someone can come to prominence in the age of digital media, when it took years of considerable effort in the past.

Now reading Building the H Bomb: A Personal History by Kenneth Ford. Only bought it at first when I read the US Dept of Science wanted a considerable chunk of it removed when he sent it in for review, and he didn't oblige, but it's proving an interesting read on the insight of those involved in building the deadliest weapons ever and their justifications for doing so as well as some of the science behind it.

First Hitler, now the H Bomb? I can see you like your light reading... :eek: There's probably help for you out there, you know... ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I read The 15 Lives of Harry August last, enjoyable if a bit boyish and lengthy in parts. Original idea was still good and keeps you reading.
    I'm currently reading The Universe Vs Alex Wood, and it's a treat, highly recommended to anyone who enjoys young persons fiction, great humour and character.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It started with Paris - Cathy Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

The Forever War. It's a re-read though. I love that book!
    Just polished off I Am Legend which was actually very enjoyable and not at all like the film. Short and sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett- another one of the City Watch Discworld series for me! I found 'Guards! Guards!' hilarious so had to continue on with Vimes and the rest of the Night Watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am reading Southside Provisional, From freedom freighter to the four courts.
    by Kieran Conway.

Its the story of a middle class Southsider( Blackrock college/UCD ) who joined the IRA in the early 1970s, eventually left the IRA and became a solicitor.

I find the social history interesting more that anything else, for example as a 17 year old he goes over to the uk to work in a factory for the summer, something that was compliantly unremarkable for university student at the time even those form very privileged backgrounds.

Then there is the politics of the time definitely a bit of Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

I'm reading Edgar Allan Poe at the moment.

"Gold Bug" was a pleasant story but I was disappointed in so far as it is turns out very prosaic, then again that was probably the intent.

"William Wilson" was a very interesting read and was on my mind for the whole day having read it.

"The Masque of the Red Death" is just fantastic. The intricate descriptions fall short of cumbersome and paint a beautiful scene, the epoch of the drama in the story is griping and the final line of the story is one that will definitely stay with me.

Hopefully I'll get the time to read one or two more of his stories tonight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I started reading star wars books randomly, in the middle of the thrawn trilogy.

• Advertisement

Just started Chocolat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement