Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Just started Unravelling Oliver.....it's pretty riveting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭wijam

Praetorian: The Great Game by S.J.A. Turney, think it's a one off book, Rome Empire fiction, not bad, will look into his other writings, as read a good bit of historical fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Just finished reading Stieg Larssons The Girl Who Played With Fire, quite enjoyed it :)

I have to say, I really enjoyed all three of the series, and the films.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

I'm currently reading "Sniper One" by Sgt. Dan Mills.

An account of a British Army sniper team deployed to Iraq, whom, despite several tours between Northern Ireland and Kosovo among others, never fired a shot until their deployment to Iraq. Excellent so far, one of the best I've read in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I have to say, I really enjoyed all three of the series, and the films.

I read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo a couple of months back, loved it also, hence getting the second one, now to get the last one and I'll be happy out :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I just finished Stephen King, Revival. I really enjoyed it, but be warned, it has one of the most haunting creepy endings I've ever read.

Best thing he's written in years. The finale is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Corvo wrote: »
    I'm currently reading "Sniper One" by Sgt. Dan Mills.

Excellent so far, one of the best I've read in a long time.

+1
    I read it a few years back and thought it was a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Best thing he's written in years. The finale is amazing.
    It's not often you hear positive comments about the ending of a Stephen King book! I must add this one to my list.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ice Storm wrote: »
    It's not often you hear positive comments about the ending of a Stephen King book! I must add this one to my list.

Ha, just thinking the exact same thing :p

Started Moby Dick last week. Was worried it might be a bit of a slog, but enjoying it so far.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Iron Council by China Mieville.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Rereading Post Office by Charles Bukowski.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Currently reading The Diamond Age - Neal Stephenson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I receny started Bill Bryson's Down Under and I'm flying through it! I can't read this book in public because it keeps making me laugh out loud :). I love Bryson's writing style. It's like he's just chatting to a friend over a cup of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

For my next read, I'm torn between The Kite Runner and Narrow Road to the Deep North, both of which I have waiting on my Kindle. Or something else entirely.

Since I finished Adichie's short stories, I've been catching up with some articles I'd wanted to read in various magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    I receny started Bill Bryson's Down Under and I'm flying through it! I can't read this book in public because it keeps making me laugh out loud :). I love Bryson's writing style. It's like he's just chatting to a friend over a cup of coffee.

If you like Bryson, you should try "McCarthys Bar" - Pete McCarthy, very enjoyable and funny
    gutenberg wrote: »
    For my next read, I'm torn between The Kite Runner and Narrow Road to the Deep North, both of which I have waiting on my Kindle. Or something else entirely.

Since I finished Adichie's short stories, I've been catching up with some articles I'd wanted to read in various magazines.

The Kite Runner is a great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Mere Christianity by C.S Lewis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Skippy Dies, by Paul Murray.

Has anyone else read it? Not long started and not yet got into it. Don't want to give up either...

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

tampopo wrote: »
    Skippy Dies, by Paul Murray.

Has anyone else read it? Not long started and not yet got into it. Don't want to give up either...

I read it a couple of years back. I remember enjoying it at the time, though it isn't one of those books that has remained with me strongly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

A Clash of Kings - George RR Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, brilliant unbiased read for the lay person into alternative medicine, cosmetics, big pharma, education policy and journalism and some scarey stuff about nut jobs and anti-HIV drugs. Highly recommend.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Was halfway through Cell by Stephen King when I left it in the pub. Tried to buy it today in Chapters but wasn't available. I did however find a second hand copy of The Bachman Books for €6.99 which included Rage - taken out of publication by King himself years ago and selling for about £25 on its own on Amazon - happy days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I looooooooooooooove Chapters, they are the best. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Steal this book by abbie hoffman

• Registered Users Posts: 44 thecamcam

the martian was a pretty good read

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I had started The Madship by Robin Hobb ages ago but only got a couple of chapters in before putting it on the back burner and going for other shorter reads. I started back in to it a couple of weeks ago and now I'm utterly engrossed by it all again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I had started The Madship by Robin Hobb ages ago but only got a couple of chapters in before putting it on the back burner and going for other shorter reads. I started back in to it a couple of weeks ago and now I'm utterly engrossed by it all again.

I love the Liveship books. I honestly felt like I lived at sea while I read those. It's a wonderfully crafted world.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Vojera wrote: »
    I love the Liveship books. I honestly felt like I lived at sea while I read those. It's a wonderfully crafted world.

The only other series of books that I felt completely detached from the real world while reading was Harry Potter. I was convinced that I'd never recapture that but came across the Robin Hobb ones because of this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I finished the Mayor of Casterbridge by Hardy a week back. I couldn't get into Madding Crowd so returned to the novel I did for the leaving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

Steppenwolf and the Joy Luck club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Just finished Blood on Snow by Jo Nesbo. It's a decent story with good characterisation but it's quite short, more of a novella than a novel and the print is very large, I'm glad I got it in a half-price promotion because I don't think it's worth paying full price for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement