Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Just finished Blood on Snow by Jo Nesbo. It's a decent story with good characterisation but it's quite short, more of a novella than a novel and the print is very large, I'm glad I got it in a half-price promotion because I don't think it's worth paying full price for it.

I find you get tired of JonNesbo very quickly......I have read three of four of his books and initially I found them ok, but all started to seem the same and pretty condscending.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

LadyAthame wrote: »
    Steppenwolf and the Joy Luck club.

Wow, that's some combination you got there.

I remember reading the Joy Luck Club years ago (well, decades if I'm honest), and I really enjoyed it then. A gripping read, and lots of interesting insight into some of China's history in the 20th century.

Steppenwolf is one of my mom's all-time favourite. I have to admit I've never been able to get into any of Hesse's books myself, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm just finishing "Ghostwritten" by David Mitchell.

I can honestly say I would recommend any of his books to just about anyone. Absolutely brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Liberalism is a Mental Disorder by Dr Michael Savage.

About half way through at the moment, one of the last straight shooters out there, a wonderful man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    I finished the Mayor of Casterbridge by Hardy a week back. I couldn't get into Madding Crowd so returned to the novel I did for the leaving!

How was it now you're older?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Ireland's Arctic Siege by Kevin Kearns. It's an account of the freak weather Ireland experienced in the Winter of 1947. I didn't know Ireland experienced such weather in modern times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Match annual 1995. An all time classic

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

John Connelly's 'a song of shadows' , its the latest from the Charlie Parker series, looking forward to it, love these books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Started on Dust which is the third book in the Silo series (Wool). The whole story is really coming together. I'm thinking of trying some other books written by Hugh Howey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Just finished Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King. Highly recommend it, brilliant book. I couldn't put it down. You think since there is only one person speaking for the entire novel you'd get bored but it's excellent. :)
    Started on The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom. I'm about half way through and I'm finding it equally as entertaining. Highly recommend it too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The Conspiracy against the Human Race: A Contrivance of Horror.

I like Nihilism as a branch of philosophy but this dark even for me. Supposedly a big influence on the views of Rust in True Detective, so if you watched that you know what to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Atlas shrugged by Ayn rand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Glue - Irvine Welsh....sequel is out now so I'm prepping for that. If you see a strange bald man speaking in Scotch doubledutch roaming drunk around Dublin city centre it's either me or Irv. Avoid both either ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Glue - Irvine Welsh....sequel is out now so I'm prepping for that. If you see a strange bald man speaking in Scotch doubledutch roaming drunk around Dublin city centre it's either me or Irv. Avoid both either ways.

Ah man, lucky you. I wish I could reread Filth for the first time as it remains the best book I've ever read. That said, Irvine lives in Miami now and his recent books are pish (The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins is scutter).

Ahm currently reading Au Secours Pardon by Frederic Beigbeder. It's the follow up to 99 Francs and so far quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have just fished The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitcheall. I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter. Found it difficult to get into but I am enjoying it now. Really beautifully written.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Have started The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Currently reading Billy Idol's autobiography Dancing With Myself. It's pretty good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Picked up 'A Decent Ride' by Irvine Welsh at the airport this morning. Read about 6 chapters on the flight and was howling laughing a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 genuinequery

I'm reading Lorna Byrne angels in my hair 100% recommend - eye opening interesting and very much attentive to detail :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I'm reading 'The Graveyard Book' by Neil Gaiman. It's a kids book but I'm really enjoying it. His imagination is brilliant.

I'm reading 'The Graveyard Book' by Neil Gaiman. It's a kids book but I'm really enjoying it. His imagination is brilliant.

I like Neil Gaiman and I want to say your user name is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. I love a good post-apocalyptic novel! :)

I'm actually reading that on my phone and Stephen King's "The Stand" on my Kindle. Apocalypse * 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

mariaalice wrote: »
    I have just fished The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitcheall. I really enjoyed it.

Found it a struggle but ultimately enjoyed it. Read "The Bone Clocks" next if you are not reading anything.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Found it a struggle but ultimately enjoyed it. Read "The Bone Clocks" next if you are not reading anything.

I am going to but I have to finish I am pilgrim first, I have got back in to reading lately I was beginning to think the internet had rotted my brain my concentration had got so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Oxford Illustrated History of the First World War.

Been fascinated with WW1 since someone turned me onto the Dan Carlin series of podcasts about it so started this while waiting for the final episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm reading Earthly Joys by Phillipa Gregory. I'm really enjoying it, I love historical fiction and she writes it extremely well.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

I just bought this today! Really excited to start it as every single review I've seen has said that it is fantastic. I read Stardust by Gaiman a year or two ago though and wasn't that impressed with it so hopefully The Graveyard Book will live up to my expectations!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

denis160 wrote: »
    John Connelly's 'a song of shadows' , its the latest from the Charlie Parker series, looking forward to it, love these books.

Any good? Love the series. Dipped a bit in the middle and last wasn't great but Wrath of Angels was good. Have it ordered from Amazon.

Almost finished third story in The Bachman Books. Must admit I prefer his books when writing as King, odd as it may sound although I did enjoy The Long Walk. Hoping The Running Man is better. Enjoyed the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Collie D wrote: »
    Any good? Love the series. Dipped a bit in the middle and last wasn't great but Wrath of Angels was good. Have it ordered from Amazon.

Almost finished third story in The Bachman Books. Must admit I prefer his books when writing as King, odd as it may sound although I did enjoy The Long Walk. Hoping The Running Man is better. Enjoyed the movie.

The running man is probably the pick of them,one of my favorite books, though the film doesn't do it justice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement