Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I'm reading 'The Graveyard Book' by Neil Gaiman. It's a kids book but I'm really enjoying it. His imagination is brilliant.
    I read this last year and I loved it.

It was very easy to get engrossed in; the characters are so engaging.

I got Stardust free on the Kindle recently but I'm not too enthusiastic to start it as I've seen the film and wasn't mad about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Ice Storm wrote: »
    I read this last year and I loved it.

It was very easy to get engrossed in; the characters are so engaging.

I got Stardust free on the Kindle recently but I'm not too enthusiastic to start it as I've seen the film and wasn't mad about it.

If you weren't that crazy about the film you might actually really like the book- they're pretty different. Funnily enough I absolutely love that movie, so I ended up being really meh about the actual book itself when I did read it because there are so many differences between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

The lost weekend by Charles jackson

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The running man is probably the pick of them,one of my favorite books, though the film doesn't do it justice.

Finished it and The Running Man the best of the four with The Long Walk next. Completely different from the film all right. Rage was disappointing in the end and Roadwork was boring for the most part.

Currently on Chapter Nine of "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson. Have been meaning to give it a go for a while having seen a bit of a cult following for it on this thread. Another book where I've seen the film first and us again quite different apart from the basic idea. Not sure I like it to be honest - but it's short enough and I have a weird thing about always finishing a book no matter how much I dislike it so hopefully I'll get stuck in over the next couple of chapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

just started Half a King - Joe Abercrombie. Looking forward to this one, I love all his other books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The lost weekend by Charles jackson

One of my favourites.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    One of my favourites.

Makes for some sobering reading alright ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Southside Provisional: From Freedom Fighter to the Four Courts - By Kieran Conway.
    True story by a D4 guy who joins the provos. It is more then a bit biased towards the Republican cause and refers to Republican/Catholic deaths as atrocities, but then then causally refers to some deaths caused by the IRA as "errors" (babies and the like).

Despite this it is a very interesting read. If nothing else, you get an insight into the world of a provo and he definitely is passionate about it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Southside-Provisional-Freedom-Fighter-Courts/dp/1909895555

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Stephen King The Stand

What a master story teller - I mean REALLY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

In Patagonia - Bruce Chatwin

Feeding my current addiction to Travel Writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Back into Stephen King, 'Salem's Lot

Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence. The main character in it is a bit of an evil bastid

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Jon Ronson - So You've Been Publicly Shamed

About 30% of the way through. Loving it so far. He picks such fascinating topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Just started Four Iron in the Soul, by Lawrence Donegan. I've heard good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

the_monkey wrote: »
    Stephen King The Stand

What a master story teller - I mean REALLY!!!

Chugging through the extended and uncut version myself, all 1152 pages of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Birneybau wrote: »
    Chugging through the extended and uncut version myself, all 1152 pages of it.

Read the extended cut myself. Don't know what parts aren't in the regular edition. Great story once you get into it!

Old Man's War - John Scalzi

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I am currently reading - Overheard In Dublin...... And all because I forgot to check and make sure I had some unread books yet to read :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan.

A harrowing book about prisoners of war in Burma. Beautifully written and unflinching in its depictions of the horror surrounding the main characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Elizabeth Costello by J. M. Coetzee.

It is the only book of his I hadn't read, and it is the worst I have read from him.

• Advertisement

I'm about a third through 'War: What is it good for?: The role of conflict in civilisation, from primates to robots' by Ian Morris, and very good it is too, so far.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

'The Salmon of Doubt', by Douglas Adams

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

When the Church Was Young: Voices of the Early Fathers by Marcellino D'Ambrosio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

KH25 wrote: »
    Read the extended cut myself. Don't know what parts aren't in the regular edition. Great story once you get into it!
    I finished this myself last weekend. I enjoyed it but the ending was a let down. New bits for the extended version are apparently The Kid and Frannies mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Life and Loves of a He Devil by Graham Norton. Laugh out loud funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I started reading "We are all completely beside ourselves" by Karen Joy Fowler last night - and finished it in the early hours.

An absolutely amazing, unexpected, fantastic book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I just finished Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie. It's like a Native American version of The Commitments with a bit of magic realism thrown in. I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Picked back up "you can't win" by jack black and have to say its a good read,I'll let google do the synopsis:

You hold in your hands a true lost classic, one of the most legendary cult books every published in America. Jack Black's autobiography was a bestseller and went through five printings in the late 1920's. It has led a mostly subterranean existence since then - best known as William S. Burrough's favorite book, one he admitted lifting big chunks of from memory for his first novel, Junky. But it's time we got wise to this book, which is in itself a remarkably wise book - and a ripping true saga. It's an amazing journey into the hobo underworld: freight hopping around the still wide open West at the turn of the 20th century, becoming a member of the "yegg" (criminal) brotherhood and a highwayman, learning the outlaw philosophy from Foot-and-a-half George and the Sanctimonious Kid, getting hooked on opium, passing through hobo jungles, hop joints and penitentiaries. This is a chunk of the American story entirely left out of the history books .

I bought this based solely on your post. Sounds like a great read. Will post again when I've started. Just finished Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction by Sue Townsend. Only one more to go, sadly. Only recently discovered she continued the series into Mole's adulthood.

Like to take a break of a day or two between books so will start You Can't Win during the week. Odd sized book to be carrying on public transport. It's like a college textbook or something.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Started reading The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins, by Irvine Welsh.

Not sure I like his change to this Americanised writing style, but will continue.

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote: »
    I bought this based solely on your post. Sounds like a great read. Will post again when I've started. Just finished Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction by Sue Townsend. Only one more to go, sadly. Only recently discovered she continued the series into Mole's adulthood.

Like to take a break of a day or two between books so will start You Can't Win during the week. Odd sized book to be carrying on public transport. It's like a college textbook or something.

Probably a nabat books print of it,part of a series of reprinted forgotten memoirs by various misfits,outsiders and rebels,I finally finished "beggars of life: a hobo autobiography" by Irish-american Jim Tully about his life as a road kid hopping freight trains much in the same vein as jack London's "the road" or jack Kerouac' "on the road".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement