Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rosb

Reading Evelyn Waugh's "Bridehead Revisited". I am reading some classic books I never got around to reading.
    I never read To Kill a Mocking Bird either. ... its next.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rosb

Reading Evelyn Waugh's "Bridehead Revisited". I am reading some classic books I never got around to reading.
    I never read To Kill a Mocking Bird either. ... its next.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Royal Assassin (Farseer #2) - Robin Hobb

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

Re-reading "Watchers" by Dean R Koontz

Have close to 40 of his books...always a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Just finished re-reading every single disc world book. Sad to be at the end, but hopeful about the new release that he was working on before he passed away.

Now starting to re-read the Honor Harrington sci-fi series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Just started Sand by Hugh Howey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

I'm re-reading Excession by Iain M Banks. It's even better the second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Valley of Fear - Arthur Conan Doyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Last exit to Brooklyn by Hubert selby jr

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Wrong thread sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

About 200 pages into fall of giants by Ken Follett
    It's a great read this far

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Woman Who Stole My Life by Marian Keyes.

I'm the biggest fan of Marian and have read all her books, but when I bought this book last October (and met her and had the book signed!), I couldn't get into it.

For once in my Marian-soaked reading life, I just couldn't absorb myself into the story, so I left the book on the bedside locker, vowing to go back to it some other day.

Fast-forward seven months and I'd forgotten everything I'd read so far in the book, so I've restarted it and this time, I'm enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

"Yes Taoiseach" by Frank Dunlop. A tale of old-school vs. young bucks, power, money and shenanigans at the heart of government, particularly Fianna Fail, from the Arms Crisis to deep doo-doo in the late 2000s. It's quite good, readable and entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes. Thoroughly enjoying it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Blazing through 1Q84, just onto the 2nd book. Really enjoying it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Have been reading a lot lately which is great. Read One Step Too Far by Tina Saskis a few days ago which is a tense thriller. It was easy reading but kept me engrossed so I'd highly recommend it as a good beach read.

Finished Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey last night and it blew me away. It's a very clever and beautifully written story, the protagonist having dementia and it's told from her perspective. It's also a crime thriller so lots to keep one interested. Can't recommend it enough!

Blazing through 1Q84, just onto the 2nd book. Really enjoying it.

I haven't read a Murakami book that I haven't loved. Yet!

My favourite at the moment is Norwegian Wood.

The manipulated man by Esther villar

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

i just read Titanic Thompson (the man who bet on everything) by Kevin Cook. One of the best books i have read in ages!! Thoroughly recommend it

The manipulated man by Esther villar

Described by that bastion of reason and self regard Return Of Kings as the 'Holy Bible of Red Pill Wisdom'.

Which says it all, really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry.
    I am not really sure where this book is going, but it does have me hooked despite not been my type of book.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

Last exit to Brooklyn by Hubert selby jr

I remember being thoroughly depressed by the film so i avoided the book.

Candie wrote: »
    Described by that bastion of reason and self regard Return Of Kings as the 'Holy Bible of Red Pill Wisdom'.

Which says it all, really.

Its quite the eye opener ;)

Henry94 wrote: »
    I remember being thoroughly depressed by the film so i avoided the book.

The book is pretty grim in places too

Its quite the eye opener ;)

It'll open your eyes but blinker them at the same time. It's a terrible book.

It'll open your eyes but blinker them at the same time. It's a terrible book.

Most women would say that about it in fairness,villar is still getting death threats to this day,not that I agree with everything in it but she's makes some valid arguments and points,brutally honest and depressing at the same time in parts.

Most women would say that about it in fairness,villar is still getting death threats to this day,not that I agree with everything in it but she's makes some valid arguments and points,brutally honest and depressing at the same time in parts.

All that book does is confirm the bias of people so inclined, it's very poorly written and has little basis in objective reality. Take it with a pinch, or better yet a quarry, or salt. :)

All that book does is confirm the bias of people so inclined, it's very poorly written and has little basis in objective reality. Take it with a pinch, or better yet a quarry, or salt. :)

I dunno I'd wager alot men would recognize themselves in it depressingly enough,she makes keen observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Its my favourite too although considered by die-hard Murakami fans as the least true to form. Yawn! I don't think so, it's different yes but equally as good if not better than lots of his other works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yeah I think I'll be checking that out after, have heard it's supposed to be very good.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement