Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

I've just started Bill Brysons 'Shakespeare: The World As A Stage', and it's as entertaining and interesting to read as all his other books. It's a biography of Shakespeare replete with historical anecdote and context, light but thorough.

I haven't met a Bill Bryson book that I haven't really enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭joollyparo

50 shades of gray, not that shady to me though. Maybe i get their, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Finished A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess last night. I enjoyed it but had hoped to like it more seeing as I usually dystopian novels.

I've read the first 20 or so pages of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and I loved the writing style so I am looking forward to reading it next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

"Gone Girl" and "A Life Like Other People's". Both are kind of easy reads. I dip in and out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

"Gone Girl" and "A Life Like Other People's". Both are kind of easy reads. I dip in and out of them.

I thought "Gone Girl" was dire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm currently about 2/3rds of the way through Mr Mercedes by Stephen King. I hadn't read one of his books in donkeys years because I don't particularly care for horror stories any more but once I heard he'd started doing crime novels I gave it a go and it's pretty decent tbh.

It's ok, I won't comment further until you finish it.
    I must say I liked his other most recent book, the follow up to The Shining (different genre I know).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I thought "Gone Girl" was dire.
    I'm not very impressed with it. The characters are both very annoying, I mean Nick and Amy. He is boring and I want to scratch her eyes out. I know his telling of her is fake but even her narration irritates me. The prose is very simple. I know people thought the structure and plot were surprising. I of course have the spoilers but it's kinda predictable. It's a bit tabloidy.
    The Alan Bennett book is a stark contrast. It's very unassuming and humble. I have read it before a few times. But it has a lot of knowledge of people in it and I like dipping in and out of it again. It's about his family and his mother's descent into dementia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Debt: The First 5000 Years by David Graeber.

This is one of those books which questions the world and society we take for granted. What is debt? What is money? He explains how debt is an important device in human society going back thousands of years and how our morality and culture is built around debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

noooooooooooooooooo.my poor kindle died :(

back to reading actual books now

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You'll have to rekindle your love for paper... :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Books never die!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Star Trek Odyssey by William Shatner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

About 1/4 of the way through Mo Hayder's "Poppet" book which, I discovered, is actually the 6th book in a series of crime thrillers featuring DCI Jack Caffery but that being said, I don't feel the need to read the previous 5 to get up to speed as this book is quite well written in a stand-alone sense.
    It's also quite unnerving- not outright terrifying but certainly very creepy in places with allusions to dark going ons at an old psychiatric hospital reputedly haunted by the angry spirit of a dead nurse. It's tense, unsettling and damn near impossible to stop reading.
    Enjoying it so far! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Candie wrote: »
    I've just started Bill Brysons 'Shakespeare: The World As A Stage', and it's as entertaining and interesting to read as all his other books. It's a biography of Shakespeare replete with historical anecdote and context, light but thorough.

I haven't met a Bill Bryson book that I haven't really enjoyed.

I've only read A Short History of everything and really struggled with it. I'm not really of a scientific mind. But keep seeing his name poo up here and some sound interesting. Should I give him another go or are they all a bit "sciency"?

Edit: Should add what I'm currently reading as per thread title. Finally got around to Jack Black's "You can't Win" as recommended on here. Hadn't really been in a reading mood for a while but really interesting story. Reminds me of On The Road

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Collie D wrote: »
    I've only read A Short History of everything and really struggled with it. I'm not really of a scientific mind. But keep seeing his name poo up here and some sound interesting. Should I give him another go or are they all a bit "sciency"?

Edit: Should add what I'm currently reading as per thread title. Finally got around to Jack Black's "You can't Win" as recommended on here. Hadn't really been in a reading mood for a while but really interesting story. Reminds me of On The Road

Bryson's not always sciency, no. Interesting, yes. Funny, fo' sho'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Yes, you really should and no, they're not.

Try "A Walk in the Woods..." and "The Lost Continent.... " and you'll certainly be won over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Just finished a memoir Black Dog of Fate which chronicles a American-Armenian's exploration of the silence behind the Armenian genocide both within his family and the wider global community. Really good read. :) I've just started Portrait of a Lady by Henry James. Hopefully it'll be a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

razorblunt wrote: »
    It's ok, I won't comment further until you finish it.
    I must say I liked his other most recent book, the follow up to The Shining (different genre I know).

I finished it anyway. At the start you could tell he wasn't quite used to writing crime, the intro's to the main characters was quite clunky but I felt it improved as it went along.

Atm I'm a quarter of the way into Nile Rodgers autobiography "Le Freak"

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

McChubbin wrote: »
    It's also quite unnerving- not outright terrifying but certainly very creepy in places
    Enjoying it so far! :D

One of the few books that had me nervous going to sleep :eek: Have read all that series & it's quite good. If you haven't read the others, the story behind DCI Cafferry is quite sad I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

Am reading Inside Team sky by David Walsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance by Robert Pirsig.

Isis: state of terror by Jeesica Stern

And Joy of less (minimalism)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Finished The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo earlier.

Only got it after hearing him interviewed by Matt Cooper on the Last Word. His central character sounded really interesting and I like crime fiction. Good read but I'm expecting the books to improve as series continues.

Going to start the latest Charlie Parker offering later, love that series.

Report back on what you think of the latest Charlie parker book. I felt that it opened another avenue for the series to continue!

On Jo Nesbos books, it's been a while since I read any of them, but I do remember them improving & following from book to book as such.

Some other good crime fiction I've enjoyed are The Carson Ryder books from JA Kerley, DI Helen Grace books from MJ Arlidge, Byrne & Balzano series from Richard Montanari & the Abby Kane series from Ty Hutchinson.

Have to say though, Charlie Parker series is hard to beat.

Do Collie, A Short History if Everything is probably the most sciency of all his books, and perhaps Seeing Further might not interest you, but any one of his other books that I can think of offhand would be more up your street.

Try any of his travelogue books, all of them are great reads and Bryson is funny and charming throughout off of them. I love his books :).

Of the ones I've read, I highly recommend:

I'm a Stranger Here Myself

A Walk in the Woods

Walkabout - A Walk In The Woods Down Under

Neither Here, Nor There

Made in America

and African Diary!

Enjoy. :)

Forgot to add his Shakespeare bio, which I've just finished and enjoyed immensely.

As per thread title, I am now reading Robert Harris' An Officer And A Spy, which I bought hoping for great things after reading and enjoying Fatherland and The Ghost and one or two other of his works. I am not disappointed so far, as per usual it's gripping from the start. I'm looking forward to the rest of it and not wanting it to end already. :)

I finished it anyway. At the start you could tell he wasn't quite used to writing crime, the intro's to the main characters was quite clunky but I felt it improved as it went along.

Atm I'm a quarter of the way into Nile Rodgers autobiography "Le Freak"

What I didn't like was the fact the main plot device wasn't actually even possible as per the disclaimer in the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

John Lydon's No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs...very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

razorblunt wrote: »
    What I didn't like was the fact the main plot device wasn't actually even possible as per the disclaimer in the book.

True enough but I wonder how much of that disclaimer was due to possibility of legal action from the said teutonic corporate entity

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Jinonatron

Currently Reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King and really enjoying it. I am not usually a fan of large books over 400 pages because it becomes hard to finish them and at 740 pages this is a big one. Currently around the 500 page mark and really enjoyed every page so far. The only other book I have read by King is The Shining.

Up next I will probably read The Snapper by Roddy Doyle or To Kill a Mocking bird by Harper Lee.

True enough but I wonder how much of that disclaimer was due to possibility of legal action from the said teutonic corporate entity

Must be, in hindsight I wished I hadn't read that last few pages. I was on holiday at the time and only read it for the sake of it. I had enjoyed it before that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Jinonatron wrote: »
    Currently Reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King and really enjoying it. I am not usually a fan of large books over 400 pages because it becomes hard to finish them and at 740 pages this is a big one. Currently around the 500 page mark and really enjoyed every page so far. The only other book I have read by King is The Shining.

Up next I will probably read The Snapper by Roddy Doyle or To Kill a Mocking bird by Harper Lee.

I love The Snapper. I read it on holiday and managed to squirt water through my nose from laughing so much. I think the other holidaymakers thought I was a bit cracked :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

The demon-haunted world by Carl sagan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement