Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

The Book of Ninja by Anthony Cummins and Yoshi Minami

Real boys stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Jamaica inn by Daphne du Maurier.

Tis a bit rough round the edges...

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Re-reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

I read it for the first time 3 years ago and I wasn't sure if it would live up to how much I remember loving it at the time. I have read loads of great books since then and I was worried that I would be disappointed by it. Nope. It was actually better than I even remember it being. I actually think I got more from it this time around.
    Definitely of my favourite books of all time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Reading through some of my paperbacks until I replace my kindle. Currently re-reading Spike Milligans war memoirs. Bloody hilarious books. He makes such a joke out of WWII

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm about halfway through Dark Star Safari by Paul Theroux. I like the way he writes - it gives me a real feel of the places he visits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Took a break for a while, finished Firestarter by Stephen king the other day. Not a bad read but IMO not one of his best. Just started Jurassic Park and I have The Lost World to follow up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

The energy bus - by Jon gordon

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

''All the Light We Cannot See''..... Beg, borrow or steal it, but read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Re-reading Kate Atkinson's Life after Life. I remember reading it back in 2013 and being really affected by it, so I'm curious to see if it's as good as I remember. I'm also primarily re-reading it so that I can justify buying the sequel, A God in Ruins :p

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭captainfrost

Harryporter (deathly hollow) by JK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Just finished "Poppet" by Mo Hayder at 3am this morning- I was so gripped I read for 5 hours straight!- and I'm in shock.
    That ending came out of nowhere and smacked me over the head like I was being happyslapped with a brick. It was sudden, unexpected and a major "What the ever-loving fcuk just happened?!" moment. It was a sterling read and I'm now buzzing to read more of the DCI Caffery series. I have "Wolf", the 7th book on standby but I'm planning on properly cycling through the series from the beginning first before I tackle it.
    In the meantime, to take the edge off and soothe myself from the experience of being utterly gripped by a tense, suspenseful crime thriller, I've started on Amanda Palmer's memoir "The Art of Asking". It's impish, whimsical and easy to read without being mawkish.
    I'm only about 60 or so pages in but enjoying it so far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Needful Things by Stephen King

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The ring sets out. Lotr book 1

The Night Eternal by Guillermo Del Toro/Chuck Hogan, it's the last book in a trilogy; I'm enjoying it :)

The Count of Monte Cristo.. Penguin edition.

Read it in my teens and loved it but even better now with what everyone says is the best edition. Nice to be reading a proper page turner again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Johnathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

I bought it on sale a couple of years ago, only getting round to it now.

I only found out the other day that it's been dramatised...I'll finish the book first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Going Clear. My god it's a mad old read. Tom Cruise does not come out of it well at all. As for Miscavige...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The Death of WCW.

If you weren't a wrestling fan you'd think half the stuff in it was made up. A real good overview of the company's implosion, shame it's not a bit more in-depth in places.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

coolhull wrote: »
    ''All the Light We Cannot See''..... Beg, borrow or steal it, but read it.

I bought it today on the basis of your recommendation, Coolhull - if it's not up to your review, consider yourself in big trouble... ;)

New Home wrote: »
    I bought it today on the basis of your recommendation, Coolhull - if it's not up to your review, consider yourself in big trouble... ;)
    Its a brilliant book, NH. I read it on Kindle. I'll be curious to know what you think of it. PM me when you're finished, let me know :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Will definitely do. It'll be a while, though - I've picked up Lila by Marilynne Robinson again - I started reading it a long while ago, but I decided to put it aside because it was too lovely and I was 'devouring' it, and I wanted to be able to savour every sentence, which I get to do now I'm on holidays. You should read Gilead and Lila and then pm me too! :)

New Home wrote: »
    Will definitely do. It'll be a while, though - I've picked up Lila by Marilynne Robinson again - I started reading it a long while ago, but I decided to put it aside because it was too lovely and I was 'devouring' it, and I wanted to be able to savour every sentence, which I get to do now I'm on holidays. You should read Gilead and Lila and then pm me too! :)
    Ok NH,I had started to buy 'Lila' on Kindle but then saw the price (12.50 sterling) which is way too much to pay for a kindle book. By the way, if you haven't already got 'Girl on the Train', it's well worth buying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

The prisoner - by Thomas m. Disch.

coolhull wrote: »
    Ok NH,I had started to buy 'Lila' on Kindle but then saw the price (12.50 sterling) which is way too much to pay for a kindle book. By the way, if you haven't already got 'Girl on the Train', it's well worth buying

I agree, that's a lot for a "virtual" book. If you can, though, start with Gilead. There's another book in the series, 'Home', but it's not as great as the others. If you're in Dublin you can probably pick them both up from Chapters for less than that...

Thanks for your other tip, it's next on my list. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I started "The Buried Giant" by Kazuo Ishiguro yesterday. As expected, something rather unexpected, entirely different to any of his previous books. Can't wait to get home and read more of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Received 'The Gracekeepers' by Kirsty Logan from The BookDepository this morning! Haven't started it yet but I can't to read it- I have heard nothing but fantastic things about it. Plus, it is SUCH a beautiful book. I bought the hardback and it is so gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The ring goes south, Lotr book 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

There was a thing on FB about writers similar to pratchett. Neil Gaiman was mentioned...I might read the ocean at the end of the street next...kinda gone off gone girl...i dip in and out of Alan benett.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Finished Elizabeth is Missingrecently and absolutely loved it, can't recommend it enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Reading John Cleese's autobiography

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement