Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Leaving Cert is finished so I can finally get back to the pile of 30 books that have building up over the past 6 months.

Top of the pile is:
    'The Year of Living Biblically' by AJ Jacobs.
    Some boardsie mentioned it on another thread and I thought it sounded interesting so I got it from the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

New Home wrote: »
    I bought it today on the basis of your recommendation, Coolhull - if it's not up to your review, consider yourself in big trouble... ;)

Me too. I'm so suggestible 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I certainly enojoyed 'Salem's Lot.

Now I have to go through the pile of books to read and pick up what next

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The treason of Isengard, lotr book 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭captainfrost

Willlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Jurassic World. Enjoyed Jurassic Park so have high hopes for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I usually have my head stuck in a Stephen King book, and recently finished Mr. Mercedes. It was brilliant. I have Finders Keepers, the next in the trilogy on standby. I also have The Light Fantastic and Equal Rites to read, having recently read, and loved The Colour of Magic. At the moment I'm reading something totally different, Marian Keyes, The Mystery of Mercy Close, just for something lighthearted. It's years since I picked up one of her's, and it's grand. But I can't wait to get back into something more nightmarish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

73Cat wrote: »
    I usually have my head stuck in a Stephen King book, and recently finished Mr. Mercedes. It was brilliant. I have Finders Keepers, the next in the trilogy on standby. I also have The Light Fantastic and Equal Rites to read, having recently read, and loved The Colour of Magic. At the moment I'm reading something totally different, Marian Keyes, The Mystery of Mercy Close, just for something lighthearted. It's years since I picked up one of her's, and it's grand. But I can't wait to get back into something more nightmarish :)

Just finished Mr. Mercedes a few days ago too. Really enjoyed it and was one of those books that is hard to put down. The ending was weak though, it felt rushed and Olivia's involvement toward the end felt like she was a "fill all gaps" character to help reach a conclusion that otherwise would have been improbable.

I'm on to Natchez Burning now. About 100 pages in and it's great. Never read anything by Greg Iles before but I like his style. The story jumps between the 60s (Civil Rights movement stuff in Mississippi) and "present day" 2005 (investigations renewed into some KKK murders) so smoothly and teases out the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭bolopapa

Hannah and the king

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The Tower by Yeats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Finders Keepers - Stephen King

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

david attenbouroughs auto biography not as good as I presumed it would be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

Stumbled across 'The Martian' by Andy Weir. I didn't realise there was an old movie and the remake coming out soon.

I'm enjoying the book but I'm curious how they will make the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Swanley

The Book of Kells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

david attenbouroughs auto biography not as good as I presumed it would be

really? What's lacking? I would be interested to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Ken Follets - Fall Of Giants . To be honest , love the way he writes . Still have to get Edge of Eternity to finish the other trilogy, but I'll get there :)

Oh and read some of his earlier books, Code to Zero and The Man From St. Petersburg , enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Started "A Song of Shadows" - the latest Charlie Parker novel by John Connolly.

Love the series. Recommended to anyone with an interest in horror/supernatural.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Collie D wrote: »
    Started "A Song of Shadows" - the latest Charlie Parker novel by John Connolly.

Love the series. Recommended to anyone with an interest in horror/supernatural.

Haven't read that one , must get it :)
    Agree with you , his books are very well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I rarely read non fiction, but following a recommendation on another forum and after my German holiday, I started Stephen E. Ambrose Band of Brothers.

Bring on all the military jargon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I just finished 'The Voyage of Argo' by Apollonius of Rhodes, I just always wanted to read about the myths of Jason and Medea when I was in college but I never had the time. I liked it a lot but I kept falling asleep every time I read more than a few pages, there were a lot of naps :P Now I'm reading 'Euripides - Medea and Other Plays', so I'm on a bit of a Medea kick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jan Laco wrote: »
    really? What's lacking? I would be interested to read it.

He remains intensely private. As is his right. It tends towards a list of life events, fleshed out with anecdote, rather than reflecting on the significance of the events. It's been a few years since I read it, but iirc, his wife's death only warranted a paragraph or so. I don't remember the wedding being mentioned at all.

No 'lacking' so much as reserved, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

'The Fire Witness' by Lars Keplar. If you like strange crime books, the Joona Lina series are for you. Interesting as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Ken Follets - Fall Of Giants . To be honest , love the way he writes . Still have to get Edge of Eternity to finish the other trilogy, but I'll get there :)

Oh and read some of his earlier books, Code to Zero and The Man From St. Petersburg , enjoyed them.

I'm about 300 pages into Fall of giants too
    Thanks for the other recommends, they might be added to the kindle collection

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

The Secret Garden, was a free book on the kindle app and felt like rereading some of the books I read as a child

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Promised myself I would read more and I love sci fi so I'm reading The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton. Ive read a few of his other books and this sounded brilliant. It hasnt disappointed so far either.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭BearThomas131

Half way through Skagboys by Irvine Walsh, it's the prequel to trainspotting , brilliant so far

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Little White Lies and the Husbands Secret by Liane Moriarty are brilliant.

DO not read her by Harriet Lane. I felt like murdering someone after reading it it was rubbish >:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

The cure for alcoholism - Roy eskapa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just finished Touching the Void by Joe Simpson.

After finishing it, I still don't know how the hell he managed to get out of his predicament.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Started the Sci Fi classic Dune, by Frank Herbert, the other day.

Finding the language a little dense at this stage, lot of terms to get used to, but I get the feeling it's getting set up for something epic.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement