Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm reading I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes and I love it. It's really fast paced so is a real page turner. I really enjoy psychological thrillers but rarely read spy or crime thrillers but am enjoying this one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Am-Pilgrim-Terry-Hayes/dp/0593064941

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Started the sci Fi classic Dune, by Frank Herbert, the other day.

Finding the language a little dense at this stage, lot of terms to get used to, but I get the feeling it's getting set up for something epic.

I loved the first books in the series! After book 4 it just got too odd for me, but the original Dune is a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Steinbeck - East of Eden.

Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭doulikeit

What price truth
    Fantastic insight of ruc agent / supergrass Ray Gilmore, IRA member of ruthless Creggan unit in 1980s Derry. Great line from the book about graffiti daubed on Derrys walls about the informer "I knew ray gilmore thank fcuk he didnt know me" couldn't put it down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

'Weightless' by Sarah Bannan

I heard a review on the radio and bought it....I loved it- as both an insight into the mind of a teenager and the power of social media. It was riveting and very scary! Makes me glad I am old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Started the dark tower-Steven king nearly finished the first book good read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Started the dark tower-Steven king nearly finished the first book good read so far.

Big King fan but could never get into that series. Tried the first one 4 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

py2006 wrote: »
    Big King fan but could never get into that series. Tried the first one 4 times.

First one sucks monkey balls. He hits his stride in later ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Started the Sci Fi classic Dune, by Frank Herbert, the other day.

Finding the language a little dense at this stage, lot of terms to get used to, but I get the feeling it's getting set up for something epic.

Fantastic book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Started the Sci Fi classic Dune, by Frank Herbert, the other day.

It's been on my to-read list for years, I'm interested to hear what you think.

• Advertisement

Started reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, should be good as I liked Dark Places and Gone Girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

The talisman -stephen king and Peter straub,read this a few years ago and really enjoyed it,its actually better the second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

osarusan wrote: »
    Steinbeck - East of Eden.

Again.

I this this is probably my most favourite book of all time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The Martian - Andy Weir. I think there is an upcoming movie based on it so I'm a bit torn to be reading it but interesting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭tigger123

A Kim Jong-Il Production: The Incredible True Story of North Korea and the Most Audacious Kidnapping in History.

It's fantastic.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kim-Jong-Il-Production-Incredible-Kidnapping/dp/0241004306/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434575017&sr=8-1&keywords=kim+jong

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice- it is one of my favourite books and is very reminiscent of I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. It is just so lovely and charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The ring goes east , lotr book 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    The ring goes east , lotr book 4.

That's the way Tolkien originally divided the books the publisher put them in three sections. That's the way I read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

That's the way Tolkien originally divided the books the publisher put them in three sections. That's the way I read them.

I think is nice how they are divided.
    Each one is nice and short as sometimes I feel that Tolkien can drag on a bit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I think is nice how they are divided.
    Each one is nice and short as sometimes I feel that Tolkien can drag on a bit..

The hobbit did for me...they were in Mirkwood for ****ing ages!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Missing Microbes: How Killing Bacteria Creates Modern Plagues

Gerry Duffy, tick tock ten.

From couch potato to deca ironman contender. Seriously inspirational read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Merkin wrote: »
    I this this is probably my most favourite book of all time :)

I loved it, but for me The Grapes of Wrath was a better read.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice- it is one of my favourite books and is very reminiscent of I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. It is just so lovely and charming.

I love both The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets and I Capture the Castle. Must re-read them soon!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The Martian - Andy Weir. I think there is an upcoming movie based on it so I'm a bit torn to be reading it but interesting so far.

A really enjoyable read but
    I found the ending very rushed

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Gave up reading paper books. Kindle is the best ever

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

thomur wrote: »
    Gave up reading paper books. Kindle is the best ever

I both heartily concur with, and entirely disagree with both elements of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

Gave up reading for a few months - no idea why.

Anyway, to ease me back in I got Mark Ellen's "Rock Stars Stole My Life". An easy one for me to like - I was (and am) similarly obsessed with rock music minutia and stories, and I already liked Mark from his journalism, presenting on BBC and, best of all, The Word podcast (still available on itunes - a great listen if you're of a certain age). So this book was just like meeting an old friend - charming and funny and a little poignant at times. Recommended if you like music from all past 5 decades and remember when Q magazine was essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Perfidia by James Ellroy, the master of crime fiction

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement