Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Nope but a family member has them.
    Worth reading ?

Yes! .....I did...loved them....and not my 'normal 'type' of book.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

At least Robin Hobb doesn't make us wait 5+ years between instalments like some fantasy writers.

Apply snow to the burnt area.

Just finished "Revival" by Stephen King. The end of the book is straight up, served cold, freaky sh*t. Classic King.

Think I'm going to hit "Go Set a Watchman" next... But I hesitate before opening that Pandora's box.

Maybe just another King instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Deranged96 wrote: »
    Think I'm going to hit "Go Set a Watchman" next... But I hesitate before opening that Pandora's box

I wouldn't bother. I read this a couple of days ago and really didn't like it and I loved To Kill a Mockingbird. Apparently this was just a draft that ended up being changed a lot to become TKAM.

I wish I hadn't read it so I'm going to pretend I didn't because it would taint TKAM when I read it again. If that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Menas wrote: »
    Just finished "The truth about the Harry Quebert affair'...all 614 pages of it. Not a bad read but a few too many twists and turns for my liking.

Have started 'The Goldfinch'...sure its only 860 pages long...should be finished by christmas.

Only 540 pages to go.:(
    Its not a bad read though...just a bit cumbersome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Read day of the truffles based on the suggestions here and really enjoyed it. Also working on All Hell Broke Loose for a bit of history.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just starting The Long way. Bernard Moitissieres account of sailing around the world, alone, twice... He was meant to turn left and go up the Atlantic and said nah f*ckit, and just went around again 😳

Should be an interesting one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Eventide by Kent Haruf. I'm only on page 8, but so far it's very well written and makes you want to keep reading. A very good start indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭wylie

Lee Child, A Wanted Man. Usual lee child stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

LenaClaire wrote: »
    Read day of the truffles based on the suggestions here and really enjoyed it. Also working on All Hell Broke Loose for a bit of history.

Day of the truffles?

Is that a comic rip-off of Day of the Triffids, or predicitve text?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Finished The Heat of the Day, over 300 pages and nothing happens. Couldn't finish it early enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Just finished The Stranger by Harlan Coben - not great.

Just started Grey Mountain by John Grisham - intriguing thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

'The Cartel', Don Winslow's amazing follow up of the equally amazing 'Power of the Dog'.

If you have any interest in El Chapo's prison escape in Mexico I'd highly recommend it, basically very influenced by his life and the whole mad sh!t between the cartels and the U.S.'s War on Drugs.

Some breathtaking set pieces in it.

A review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/19/books/review-the-cartel-by-don-winslow-continues-a-drug-saga.html?_r=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Birneybau wrote: »
    'The Cartel', Don Winslow's amazing follow up of the equally amazing 'Power of the Dog'.

If you have any interest in El Chapo's prison escape in Mexico I'd highly recommend it, basically very influenced by his life and the whole mad sh!t between the cartels and the U.S.'s War on Drugs.

Some breathtaking set pieces in it.
    Reading 'Power of the Dog' atm and reading about 'Shorty' Guzman escaping from jail in Mexico in the paper, i assume he was the character than Adan Barrera was based on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Literally on first page of The dice man by luke rhinehart,bought this immediately after reading the synopsis.

Reading 'Power of the Dog' atm and reading about 'Shorty' Guzman escaping from jail in Mexico in the paper, i assume he was the character than Adan Barrera was based on?

That's my impression anyway, could be wildly wrong but there are some stories that correlate with Guzman's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Shenshen wrote: »
    Day of the truffles?

Is that a comic rip-off of Day of the Triffids, or predicitve text?

It is bedamned predictive text :o No more posting from my phone :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Literally on first page of The dice man by luke rhinehart,bought this immediately after reading the synopsis.
    Excellent book, I've read it a few times now.
    There is a sequel to it as well which is pretty good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Excellent book, I've read it a few times now.
    There is a sequel to it as well which is pretty good too.

Must check it out after this boom_bap,this sounds like an interesting book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

2001: A space odyssey

Arthur C Clarke.

Really amazing

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    2001: A space odyssey

Arthur C Clarke.

Really amazing

The sequels are well worth a read as well. What a writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Birneybau wrote: »
    The sequels are well worth a read as well. What a writer.

I'll check them out too ... I think Childhoods End was the finest Sci Fi I ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum. Very entertaining read.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Halfway through Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air, about the 1996 Everest disaster. I don't often read non-fiction (my day job is doing essentially that), but this is gripping and fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Ayls

The Zoo by Jamie Mollart.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Urbex

Sail by James Patterson

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Brewing Up a Business: Adventures in Entrepreneurship from the Founder of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery - Sam Calagione

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Has anyone read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? Any good.

Finished HHhH...excellent book.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

eviltwin wrote: »

Yes. And yes, it is rather good. It's less about transcendental meditation and doing the valve-clearances on an EXUP, and more a treatise on the origin of Western thought through the ages, featuring a cast from Plato and Aristotle to Hume and Kant, though. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

eviltwin wrote: »

I read it too, at the insistence of a good friend of mine, and I'm very glad that he did insist, I thought it was excellent. It will take a while to get into it - in my case, a few attempts, I kept picking it up, stopping after a few pages to read something else, but eventually I stuck with it and I couldn't get enough of it, it's one of those books that makes you think about things, whether you like it or not.

READ IT! :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement