Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Just finished reading The Sleeping Doll by Jeffery Deaver. Very good book! Love any of his books I've read....usually can't put them down once I start them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Most Secret War by R.V. Jones (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Most-Secret-Penguin-World-Collection/dp/0141042826/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1437495398&sr=1-1&keywords=most+secret+war)
    Reginald Jones was nothing less than a genius. And his appointment to the Intelligence Section of Britain's Air Ministry in 1939 led to some of the most astonishing scientific and technological breakthroughs of the Second World War.

In Most Secret War he details how Britain stealthily stole the war from under the Germans' noses by outsmarting their intelligence at every turn. He tells of the 'battle of the beams'; detecting and defeating flying bombs; using chaff to confuse radar; and many other ingenious ideas and devices.

Jones was the man with the plan to save Britain and his story makes for riveting reading.

I am enjoying this, bit by bit, on a e-reader

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

eviltwin wrote: »
    Has anyone read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? Any good.

Finished HHhH...excellent book.

Read it. Hated it with a passion. Could never figure out what was going on. Was a huge struggle to finish it, but I don't like leaving books unfinished so I ploughed on. Seriously not worth it though.

(Just to give a counter viewpiont)

What is HHhH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭manyoung

The Stand....still

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Just finished The Redeemer by Jo Nesbo. Now to move onto the next chapter in the Harry Hole series with The Snowman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Just finished The Redeemer by Jo Nesbo. Now to move onto the next chapter in the Harry Hole series with The Snowman.

Both very good books , I think anyway , Enjoy :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Blood Work by Ml Connelly - or does that qualify? :confused:

(It's very good)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

What did you think of it? I've read The Snowman and maybe one or two of his other books but found they didn't read well at times, like they were poorly translated. Anyone else notice that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Reading biography of T K Whitaker by Ann Chambers. He was voted Irishman of the 20 th century in 2001. It's really enlightening about a man who set in motion the process of modernizing the country. A truly great human being and a model of practical constructive patriotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm currently reading The Girl on the train by Paula Hawkins.

I'm about 20% into it and while I will finish it to find out the answers to all the questions that have been posed I doubt I'll enjoy it.

The lead characters are all deeply flawed frankly miserable women including the original narrator Rachel an unemployed,lonely,alcoholic who cant let go of her ex husband.

It left me with a sinking feeling seeing these women's flaws exposed but hopefully the end of the book will be satisfying.

• Advertisement

I'm currently reading The Girl on the train by Paula Hawkins.

I'm about 20% into it and while I will finish it to find out the answers to all the questions that have been posed I doubt I'll enjoy it.

The lead characters are all deeply flawed frankly miserable women including the original narrator Rachel an unemployed,lonely,alcoholic who cant let go of her ex husband.

It left me with a sinking feeling seeing these women's flaws exposed but hopefully the end of the book will be satisfying.

I read it - it's OK - but it's huge popularity is due to the snowball effect rather than any intrinsic merit.

I'd never have read it had not so many done so before me.

Currently 300 pages into the stand. Randall Flagg is looking ominous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Currently 300 pages into the stand. Randall Flagg is looking ominous.

Nah...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

scdublin wrote: »
    What did you think of it? I've read The Snowman and maybe one or two of his other books but found they didn't read well at times, like they were poorly translated. Anyone else notice that?

I read three...first I thought was good, but then they all seemed to same. Pretty bad really, IMO.

I'm just over halfway through Denial of Death by Ernest Becker. It's an absolutely extraordinary book to study. It's hugely insightful and enlightening about human nature and how people delude themselves into all sorts of certainties and man-made psychological constructs about our existence.

If you're interested in existential philosophy, you'll particularly appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. God I loved it.

Just started To Kill a Mockingbird- havent read it since school but wanted to get it out of the way before I read the new one. Already appreciate it the bit more as a willing adult reader this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

One of my colleagues set up a book swap sort of thing in our common room in work, so I took "The Snowman" by Jo Nesbo - gonna add that to the pile of "still to read" books at home....

Also bought 3 new titles on the Kindle - "Night" by Elie Wiesel, "When the moon is low" by Nadia Hashimi and "The Ice Twins" by S.K. Tremayne. I really want to start them but I must resist and finish the mountain of other books that I have yet to read....

In the middle of "Elizabeth is missing" but haven't been reading it for a good few weeks now so can't even remember where I left off.

Read "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed recently - brilliant read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

scdublin wrote: »

I only got into the series after hearing the author interviewed on The Last Word. The lead character sounded really interesting.
    Enjoyed the first 3 although I do know what ya mean about how it doesn't read well I places.
    Found The Redeemer bit of a slog tbh, story line wasn't too engaging.
    Read first chapter of The Snowman last night and it's really good.

Charlie Parker is still my favourite crime fiction character though!

I only got into the series after hearing the author interviewed on The Last Word. The lead character sounded really interesting.
    Enjoyed the first 3 although I do know what ya mean about how it doesn't read well I places.

Agree with you . I did enjoy the books , not the best written maybe but still enjoyable . Preferred The Snowman though.

Charlie Parker , tormented but likeable character :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Agre with you . I did enjoy the books , not the best written maybe but still enjoyable . Preferred The Snowman though.

Charlie Parker , tormented but likeable character :)

Jack Reacher says how you doing Mam of 4 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Nearly finished. Love it, but then again I'm a sucker for anything that romanticises suffering and unrequited love!

brinty wrote: »
    Jack Reacher says how you doing Mam of 4 ;)

You were confusing me there for a minute , thought I had my characters and their authors all mixed up .

Charlie Parker - John Connolly,
    Jack Reacher - Lee Child
    Harry Hole - Jo Nesbro .

You trying to catch me out :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Anthony Beavers Ardennes 1944.....'tis ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

'Quiet' by Susan Cain.

Just finished this. It's about Introverts. The book is very well written and looks at the psychology behind introversion and questions the "Extrovert Ideal" in workplaces, cultures and classrooms.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to fellow introverts. It makes psychological explanations of and research on introversion accessible to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Try the Lars Keplar books, the Joona Linna series. Strangest and most compelling crime stories I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. God I loved it.

Dick is one of my favourite writers. Would highly recommend any of his collections of short stories.

About to start 'The Last Wish' myself. Just finished the Witcher 3 and having genuine withdrawal symptoms from the world so thought I'd give the books a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

About to start My Antonia by Willa Cather. I'm looking forward to it seeing as I'm currently in the Midwest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Joseph Walshe Irish Foreign Policy 1922-1946 by Aengus Nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Martin Amis - Money.
    1/4 on and I feel like shelving it.

• Advertisement

Void Moon by Mick Connelly. A real slow burner page turner...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement