Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Just re-read Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart, "A Novel of China That Never Was", featuring Li Kao, a sage "with a slight flaw in his character", Number Ten Ox, the innocent, very strong, and rather less quick-witted narrator and a host of other brilliant characters, drawn from Chinese myth. It's funny, beautifully written, and lively.

And the best thing is that I've just discovered there's two more books in a trilogy! Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Just finished Go Set A Watchman...... Lads.....

Currently reading Mockingbird by Walter Tevis. Absolutely loving it so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"A jerk on one end" by Robert Hughes, the art critic, all about his hobby of fishing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence - very hard to put down, just finished Price of Thorns before it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Trouble in paradise by Slavoj Zizek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Just finished 'I am Zlatan', by the man himself. Not too bad I must say! There's more to the guy as it seems at face value.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Reading The Three Musketeers, after finding it a bit slow at first Im really getting into it now.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Sister of the road: the autobiography of boxcar bertha by Dr. Ben reitman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Currently 300 pages into the stand. Randall Flagg is looking ominous.

Just finished it. Terribly disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Just finished The Spinning Heart, by Donal Ryan.

Fantastic read. It captured some brilliant personalities and I loved the language. First book by Donal Ryan too, very impressive IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Just finished Go Set A Watchman...... Lads.....

Currently reading Mockingbird by Walter Tevis. Absolutely loving it so far.

What did you think of 'Go set a watchman'?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Reading two books atm.

I am continuing my love for John Irving with The World According to Garp. I am halfway through and not entirely sure how I feel about it just yet. Definitely enjoying it though and Irving's writing is fantastic as per usual. Garp and Jenny are both very intriguing characters, if not exactly likeable.

I am also reading Fairytales for Wilde Girls by Allyse Near. It is definitely one of the most imaginative books I have ever read! The writing is absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What She Left by TR Richmond and Can Anybody Help Me by Sinead Crowley. Both very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Just finished Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins, and I enjoyed it.

It was a holiday read for me and was very easy to get into and a bit of a page turner. I wouldn't call it a must read, but if you want something quick and easy for your holiday or to get you past a reading-fatigue slump it fits the bill.

Most interesting to me was the description of alcoholism rather than the main story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Gave up on Money, the book...
    Started The Princess Bride

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I Am Pilgrim and Still Alice. Both excellent reads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Autumn/Winter by Argos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Nightwood by Djuna Barnes. Almost Joycean and slow to read. But very entertaining and beautiful prose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes. Sitting on the shelf with a while looking at me but worth waiting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Menas wrote: »
    Just finished "The truth about the Harry Quebert affair'...all 614 pages of it. Not a bad read but a few too many twists and turns for my liking.

Have started 'The Goldfinch'...sure its only 860 pages long...should be finished by christmas.

Am 3/4 way through of 'The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair' and I feel exactly as you did- way too many twists to make it believable.
    I had just trudged my way through 'The Crooked House' .....so anything slightly better was appreciated!!!

I finished 'Weightless' by Sarah Bannan- that was fab. 'I am Pilgrim' is my next read...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Menas wrote: »
    Just finished "The truth about the Harry Quebert affair'...all 614 pages of it. Not a bad read but a few too many twists and turns for my liking.

Have started 'The Goldfinch'...sure its only 860 pages long...should be finished by christmas.

I usually have 2 books on the go. One on the kobo for home / on the move, the other (paper version) for my break at work.
    I'm enjoying the Goldfinch on the e-reader so far. Hard to put down. I'm about halfway through now. I've read Donna Tartt's other books as well, so I was looking forward to this.

Susanna Clark's Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell is a bit harder going. It's also really long and quite rambling at times. I like the way she's written it in 19th century style prose. I'll persist with it. Over halfway through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

'Summer House with Swimming Pool' Hermann Koch. Author of the acclaimed 'The Dinner'.

Enjoying it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

About half way through "A Dark Lure" by Loreth Anne White.

It's chewing gum for the brain about a woman who escaped from a serial killer having been held hostage and settles into her life years later as a ranch manager under a new identity.

It's not bad there's a bit of romance,the return of the killer and family drama.

Fairly predictable but I'm enjoying it so I'll finish it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Recently finished Missing you by Harlan Coben. Decent enough.

Currently reading A Time to Kill by John Grisham - excellent so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've abandoned Going At Home by Bill Bryson. It's not a particularly long book but it has been boring me to sleep for more than two months now and I'm only 70% of the way there.

I've started The Ship Of Destiny by Robin Hobb and I'm completely engrossed in it that I'm struggling to get enough sleep now! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I read a load of the lesser known John Grisham books a few years back. He has a nice and easy writing style that allows the reader to become easily immersed in the story's setting. Must pick up one of his books again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Daft Wee Stories, by the comedian Brian Limond. There's a story in it, called "Arnold's Arse" - about a guy called Arnold, who went to the doctor because he was having "trouble passing solids". Turns out his arse is just one big cheek and no hole... "like a big thumb". Sad, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I always assumed John Grisham would be a tough read, and only recently read A Time to Kill. Absolutely brilliant! The sequel Sycamore Row was a great read too. I'm looking forward to reading more of him in the future.
    At the moment I'm reading The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett. Pure escapism :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Just finished Chambers biography of Ken Whitaker. Excellent. And a real eye opener on the seeds of our most recent bankruptcy. A great Irishman and a true patriot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement