Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Recently finished "half a king" by Joe Abercrombie, loved it.

Went back to "the lies of Locke lamora", it took me ages to get halfways into the book, reading on and off for more than a year. Second half I read in 3 days. Loved the second half, first half really dragged

Quarter into alif the unseen now, it's really good, completely different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm reading Stephen King's Mr Mercedes at the moment it's really good stuff so far.He's such a great storyteller and any of his books I've read have been really easy to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Reading The Lives and Times of the Great Composers by Michael Steen.

Having ploughed through many works by heavy weight musicologists in the past I find this book hugely entertaining. He does for music what Bryson did for science I think…immensely readable with lots of historical context.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Still reading 'Eventide' - great book, so far. I'm also reading 'The lives she left behind' by James Long, and I like how the story is developing - it's a sequel to 'Ferney', and it was long overdue, in my books - I loved 'Ferney'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Just finished the Man Who Fell To Earth by Walter Tevis- absolutely loved it, more so than the film.

Just started Born to Run by Christopher McDougall- interesting to say the least so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Started into The Sisters Brothers and it's so far, so sublime. Something like I've not read in years, a genuine joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am reading an inspector Morse book by Colin Dexter it light and easy to read very English, after that I am going to start listing to few pod cast from BBC 4 called A point of view there are a few talks by the philosopher John Gray I would like to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

I was plodding through The Lost World by Michael Crichton but finally gave up last night. The first book was enjoyable but this one just seemed so repetitive and the language was very dull.

Moved on to Cujo by Stephen King and am already enjoying it much more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I'm reading Stephen King's Mr Mercedes at the moment it's really good stuff so far.He's such a great storyteller and any of his books I've read have been really easy to read.

I read that and whilst it was ok wasn't really one of the top SK books.

Are you aware that the sequel is out now, Finders Keepers so if you enjoy Mr Mercedes then look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Carl Sagan was a fine writer and sadly no longer with us. The Cosmos was his theatre and he had many fine books to his credit there and none finer than ' A Demon Haunted World'. It deserves a lot more acclaim than it has received from the litterati. What say ye ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I'm reading We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver, a book I had avoided for a long time. I'm really enjoying it. It's a little over-written at times but extremely thought provoking. If the whole idea of sociopathy/psychopathy fascinates you as it does me, you will like this book.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Just finished 'The Man Without a Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin' by Masha Gessen. For anyone with an interest in Russia and how Putin rose to power I would highly recommend this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I'm a third of the way through the second in the Charlie Parker series...Dark Hollow.

Great detective book, some very interesting evil characters in the book...

So far so good...ideal for a holiday read...well for me anyway

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    Still reading 'Eventide' - great book, so far.

So, I finished 'Eventide' - very good book. Reading it felt like looking into people's houses from the window of a train, you only get a quick glance into someone's life, and they move on, out of sight, without you.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

sadie06 wrote: »
    I'm reading We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver, a book I had avoided for a long time. I'm really enjoying it. It's a little over-written at times but extremely thought provoking. If the whole idea of sociopathy/psychopathy fascinates you as it does me, you will like this book.

I loved We Need To Talk About Kevin (if you can really "love" a book like that!). It's a book that has stayed with me ever since I read it, and the questions it raises are things I've pondered, and I always recommend it to people. It could easily put you off having kids :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I couldn't wait for the film to come out next year, so I have just started reading 'Room'. Had trouble putting it down. I'm a third of the way through in just one sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

sadie06 wrote: »

I remember I started reading it a few years ago, but couldn't finish it. It just really, really disturbed me.
    Which, for a piece of literature, is a good thing indeed, it was maybe too much of a good thing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I couldn't wait for the film to come out next year, so I have just started reading 'Room'. Had trouble putting it down. I'm a third of the way through in just one sitting.

They're making a film of it?
    It'll be interesting to see how they would get the same perspective in the film - I remember that as being the most compelling thing about it, the way the 5-year-old tells the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

That's a great read...very difficult to see how it can be translated to film. I hope the film stays true to the style of the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Just finished The Memory Box by Eva Lesgo.Natiella. It started off promising, although a little disjointed. Fell flat in the middle and the ending was woeful. Probsbly would have been more enjoyable if it had been edited properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Shenshen wrote: »
    They're making a film of it?
    It'll be interesting to see how they would get the same perspective in the film - I remember that as being the most compelling thing about it, the way the 5-year-old tells the story.

Yes I was watching some program on tv, expose or the seven o'clock show or something like that, can't really remember, but they were talking about the movie.
    boobar wrote: »
    That's a great read...very difficult to see how it can be translated to film. I hope the film stays true to the style of the book.

Yes I hope so, best read I had in a long time. Finished the book today, I absolutely loved it.
    I didn't think his escape attempt would be successful as it was only half way through the book, then when it was I thought it was going to take the rest of the book to find his ma. I loved the way the 'stolkholm syndrome' and the after effects were portrayed through his own perspective though.

Finally finished "The Stand". Good but not great. I has the extended version which may have dragged the story out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

I read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente a few days ago and it was absolutely wonderful! I can see it becoming a children's classic in the future. This morning I ended up buying the next two books in the Fairyland series on Bookdepository because I just need to read more of Valente's gorgeous writing!

Thinking of reading Just Kids by Patti Smith next.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Read how I lost you. It was quite possibly the worst book I read in a long time. AVOID at all costs unless you want to feel angry at how such drivel got published

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I've started The Ship Of Destiny by Robin Hobb and I'm completely engrossed in it that I'm struggling to get enough sleep now! :pac:

What did you think if the first two?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente a few days ago and it was absolutely wonderful! I can see it becoming a children's classic in the future. This morning I ended up buying the next two books in the Fairyland series on Bookdepository because I just need to read more of Valente's gorgeous writing!

Thinking of reading Just Kids by Patti Smith next.

Finished 'Just Kids' yesterday, loved it but then I love that whole time/scene.

Reading 'The Apple And Other Stories' a spin off from the amazing 'Crimson Petal and the White'. Not far enough in to give a critique but Michel Faber has never let me down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Hidden City by Karl Whitney

About exploring hidden Dublin - great read, and I only saw it by pure chance !!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mars Bar wrote: »

I've started The Ship Of Destiny by Robin Hobb and I'm completely engrossed in it that I'm struggling to get enough sleep now! :pac:

Woah! You really need to read the first two, Ship of Magic and the Mad Ship, first. She is a really excellent writer, sadly I have read (several times) everything she has written.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What did you think if the first two?

Took me a while to get through the first one and the beginning of the second one. Totally engrossed by the end of the second one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

looksee wrote: »
    Woah! You really need to read the first two, Ship of Magic and the Mad Ship, first. She is a really excellent writer, sadly I have read (several times) everything she has written.

I have read the first two and the Farseer Trilogy. There is no way anyone could start the second or third book without reading the preceding ones and know WFT is going on!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement