Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Took me a while to get through the first one and the beginning of the second one. Totally engrossed by the end of the second one!
    Yeah, when i read your thoughts on the third one, I was thinking maybe it was just me that thought the first one was a bit................ wandering?

But the third one blew me away..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Lads,

I have a few weeks off and I've just finished Stephen Kings 11/22/63 (great book - didn't like the ending though), I want to get stuck into a couple of books before I get back to the grind.

I used to be big into fantasy when I was younger but I don't seem to be as entertained by that genre as I once was.

I enjoy something that moves quick and is suspenseful but not necessarily crime - something I can get lost in.

I was thinking of "The Girl on the Train" but that seems like it would be a bit simple and very little character development.

Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

chops018 wrote: »
    Lads,

I have a few weeks off and I've just finished Stephen Kings 11/22/63 (great book - didn't like the ending though), I want to get stuck into a couple of books before I get back to the grind.

I used to be big into fantasy when I was younger but I don't seem to be as entertained by that genre as I once was.

I enjoy something that moves quick and is suspenseful but not necessarily crime - something I can get lost in.

I was thinking of "The Girl on the Train" but that seems like it would be a bit simple and very little character development.

Any recommendations?

Have you read the running man by Stephen King?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

chops018 wrote: »
    Lads,

Any recommendations?

I know this Much is True - Wally Lamb.

Thoroughly enjoyable read. But different from above though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Reading The final minute by Simon Kernick. Good and pacy, hope it doesn't go to pot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

spud82 wrote: »
    Read how I lost you. It was quite possibly the worst book I read in a long time. AVOID at all costs unless you want to feel angry at how such drivel got published

I read this too.....and thought exactly as you did. Absolute rubbish. I'm so mad I stuck with it til the end.:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Little Black Book of Stories by A. S. Byatt. So far, it's only 'meh'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'm right I'm in the middle of reading A Clash Of Kings and it's excellent. I read the first book in the series recently too and I hadn't been that hooked on a novel in years. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

"My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult as one of my friends said its better then the movie (I've already seen it) and so far they seem about the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Jeffery Deavers, The sleeping doll, good book, finding it hard to put down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

King of Thorns - Mark Lawrence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I am reading The Death of Ivan llyich, by Leo Tolstoy, a short read which so far is also satisfyingly direct, a welcome quality after wading through We Need to Talk About Kevin. I loved it, but was happy to move on from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm about 3/4 of the way through "We All Looked Up" by Tommy Wallach.

It's a young adult book about 4 high school seniors and how their lives are intertwined as they deal with the impending threat of the end of the world.
    I'm enjoy the different characters and the pre-apocalyptic Seattle setting.
    They tell you early on that there's a 66% chance of the earth being hit by a meteor called Ardor.

I'm hoping that in the end earth is saved and we see how society comes back from the brink.

I'm enjoying it and the writing is easy to read and despite the subject matter it manages not to be too dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Menas wrote: »
    Only 540 pages to go.:(
    Its not a bad read though...just a bit cumbersome

Finally finished the Goldfinch.
    It was a very long book...could have been a lot shorter IMO...plenty of wasted words in there.

Trouble is that I no longer have a book to read. Think I will review this thread and see if any of my favorite posters have made a good recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Menas wrote: »
    Finally finished the Goldfinch.
    It was a very long book...could have been a lot shorter IMO...plenty of wasted words in there.

Trouble is that I no longer have a book to read. Think I will review this thread and see if any of my favorite posters have made a good recommendation!

I finished the Goldfinch a few days ago as well. I kind of rushed through it at the end, once Theo
    left Las Vegas and the story jumped ahead a few years
    it lost (for me) the unputdownable quality it had.

I then moved onto Anne Enright's the Green Road, the first book of hers I've read. Enjoyed it thoroughly and finished it in a couple of days (time off work and a lot of train/ plane travel which helps!) It's pretty melancholy but had its moments as well. She's an evocative writer and I'm keen to read more of her work.

I'm now about 100 pages into The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. Liking this so far too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

I just finished reading Freakonomics and while I did enjoy it, I think I was hoping for more. I recently read Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman which I found enthralling and thought Freakonomics might be more of the same but it didn't have as much depth and stuck to a few broad topics. Having said that, I'm still going to add Superfreakonomics to my to-read pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I finished The Princess Bride
    Don't know what to think of it. It started well, had some good laughs, but then it sort of slowed down, reaching the point that I wanted to finish it ASAP.
    Maybe I just didn't get it.

Now I feel like going for some of the classics

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Emperor of Thorns - Mark Lawrence. Quality trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Got about halfway through Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov before I just kinda faded out of reading it. The language is extremely vague and flowery and it just put me off it I guess..

I've moved onto a Series of Unfortunate Events reread, because why the hell not! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I'm on a roll with novellas at the moment. I am currently reading Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton and it is absolutely excellent.

• Advertisement

Started re-reading A Series of Unfortunate Events today book 1 - 'A Bad Beginning'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Fatherhood - The Truth by Marcus Berkmann. I just got it today and am flying through it - very funny, if a little scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

nicki11 wrote: »
    "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult as one of my friends said its better then the movie (I've already seen it) and so far they seem about the same.

Finished it last night ending was crap wouldn't recommend at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Continuing my Stephen King odyssey. Friend of mine moving back to France so basically dumped her collection on me.

Currently on "The Tommyknockers". Not sure if I'm liking it or have just ODed on King or books in general as I'm definitely not reading at my usual pace. Only about seventy pages in after a week and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Collie D wrote: »
    Continuing my Stephen King odyssey. Friend of mine moving back to France so basically dumped her collection on me.

Currently on "The Tommyknockers". Not sure if I'm liking it or have just ODed on King or books in general as I'm definitely not reading at my usual pace. Only about seventy pages in after a week and a half.

Which ones have you read so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Just about finished Cujo. Before I started I thought the premise was a little flimsy and silly but I've really enjoyed reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Currently reading "I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan" (best book title ever). The autobiography of (North) Norfolk's favourite son. I literally LOLed more than once while reading it. It's ruddy good.

Re: King, i'd say Cujo and The Tommyknockers are two of his worst, many of his fans would probably agree. Don't judge him on those

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Samsquanch

Cancer Ward by Solzhenitzen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

North Korea - State of Paranoia. So far so good (& terrifying)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Collie D wrote: »

KH25 wrote: »
    Just about finished Cujo. Before I started I thought the premise was a little flimsy and silly but I've really enjoyed reading it.

Try "Different Seasons"

I always think of it as SK for grown ups:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement