Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The Martian is great fun if not already mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Don't think I'll necessarily read the new one, but I am enjoying reading Mockingbird again- can barely remember the story!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

I a couple of advanced copies this week that I'm getting through

I'm starting Asking for It by Louise O Neill. I dont usually read YA but I enjoyed only ever your so I'll give this a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen #1) - Steven Erikson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Currently reading a couple of books, The Road Beneath My Feet by Frank Turner, a tour diary but much funnier and more entertaining than that makes it sound, and Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe, a rather good history of, er...Marvel Comics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

At the moment I'm reading "Brooklyn" by Colm Toibin - very good

Read these in last few weeks or so:

The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans - very good (but the romance stuff was a bit gack for me)

Bridget Jones Diary by Helen Fielding - good laugh

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt - Very unusual dark comedy Western. Well worth a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Have to say I'm hooked on John Connelly's Charlie Parker Series...

Just started his third offering "The Killing Kind"

A great detective series with Charlie being a very tortured individual with a dark past.

I expect my next post here will be currently reading the fourth novel

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Waterloo: The Aftermath by O'Keeffe: it describes the follow-on from that battle and the human cost of it. So far so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker. I'd highly recommend it.

Reading Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. To my shame, despite loving anything of Steinbeck's that I've read (have previously read The Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden) I haven't read this one - we didn't do it in school, for instance. About halfway through (I know it's short!) and it's great so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Still on Alan Partridges book- 2nd time reading it but it's actually funnier with a Kindle having to click on the footnotes not knowing whats coming. Taking me ages to get through because of the LOLing.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rosie Gardens

The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker. I'd highly recommend it.

Try the Thief of Always by him too, I'd highly recommend it.

The Great and Secret Show got me well hooked on Clive Barker a good few years back, and most of his stuff is pretty good, but The Thief of Always is almost written like a story for kids, but it's superb, and well worth read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

Try the Thief of Always by him too, I'd highly recommend it.

The Great and Secret Show got me well hooked on Clive Barker a good few years back, and most of his stuff is pretty good, but The Thief of Always is almost written like a story for kids, but it's superb, and well worth read.

I'll give it a read. I just finished Imajica and I've got Everville lined up for when I finish The Great and Secret Show.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

'Purity' by Jonathan Franzen and 'Girlfriend In A Coma' by Douglas Coupland which is about a third re-read as girlfriend (thankfully not in a coma) is also reading it and it has been years so I thought why not?

Really enjoying both, obviously well written, trying to get 'Girlfriend In A Coma' out of the way so I can devour the Franzen.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rosie Gardens

I'll give it a read. I just finished Imajica and I've got Everville lined up for when I finish The Great and Secret Show.:D

:D:D:D

Everville is brilliant! Imajica one of my all time faves.

The Books of Blood, which if you don't know them is sets of short stories. They are pretty chilling in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Lads would any of yee recommend The Stand by Stephen King?

I've read a couple of his books and really enjoyed them but I see this is around 1,200 pages (new edition) so wondering is it easy to get through and split up well or would the 1,200 pages feel like ages?

chops018 wrote: »

I've read a couple of his books and really enjoyed them but I see this is around 1,200 pages (new edition) so wondering is it easy to get through and split up well or would the 1,200 pages feel like ages?

It moves along alright but it is a long old book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

I read the uncut edition. It's very long but a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Birneybau wrote: »
    It moves along alright but it is a long old book.
    KH25 wrote: »
    I read the uncut edition. It's very long but a good read.

So you're saying you'd notice the time as you were reading?

You can't beat a book where you could be sitting there for 2-3 hours and go through 100 pages and not even notice the time go by, just be completely immersed in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

You can't beat a book where you could be sitting there for 2-3 hours and go through 100 pages and not even notice the time go by, just be completely immersed in the book.

Not necessarily that you notice the time. More so that it takes a little while to boils up. I think some of that was to do with the uncut edition to be honest. When it really gets going it's a good read.

• Advertisement

Agree with KH25, once it kicks in, you'll be going through chunks of it without noticing. It's a very easy read.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The Stand is widely regarded as Kings finest work. I'm a huge King fan, but I found it a slog. But I was only young

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

The Hundred Year Old Man who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared. It's not all that. No idea why it's so well regarded.

Luckily have One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich to offset the quirky twee fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

The Hundred Year Old Man who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared. It's not all that. No idea why it's so well regarded.

+1, have been trying to read that book on & off for over a year now & can never seem to get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have started reading the inspector Morse books by Colin Dexter, I am going to read the whole serious they are very good if a little dated.

By the way what everyone's favourite detective/ who done it books.

mariaalice wrote: »
    I have started reading the inspector Morse books by Colin Dexter, I am going to read the whole serious they are very good if a little dated.

By the way what everyone's favourite detective/ who done it books.

I'd strongly recommend the Joona Linna series by Lars Keplar (on phone, can't link). A bit off kilter but all the better for it.

Also enjoyed the Rebus series by Ian Rankin, an overall easier read but no less gripping for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Severard

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Fairly good book at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

The Stand is great, i would recommend it without hesitation. The main problem is not its length but its decline in quality. The first third is brilliant, the second just good, the end is as (mostly) unimpressive as in most King novels. It also features one of his best villains.

Have moved on to Charlotte Bronte's Villette. I love Jane Eyre so we'll see how this one is. Absolutely loved Of Mice and Men, was very moved by the ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Just finished Girl On The Train. Took me a while to get into it but I devoured the second half.

I have To Kill A Mockingbird at home, it's an old copy that a friend loaned me. I'm finding the print difficult to read so it's getting ignored at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement