Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Severard

stannis wrote: »
    The Stand is great, i would recommend it without hesitation. The main problem is not its length but its decline in quality. The first third is brilliant, the second just good, the end is as (mostly) unimpressive as in most King novels. It also features one of his best villains.

If the first third of The Stand is the best then I'll not get back into the rest of it as I thought the first part was not that great which is a shame as I really liked the premise of the story. 11.22.63 by King though is really good though, well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Severard wrote: »
    If the first third of The Stand is the best then I'll not get back into the rest of it as I thought the first part was not that great which is a shame as I really liked the premise of the story. 11.22.63 by King though is really good though, well worth a read.

Each to their own, i found it gripping but these things are subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

mariaalice wrote: »
    By the way what everyone's favourite detective/ who done it books.

Love the charlie parker series by john connolly. Have also really enjoyed
    john rebus by ian rankin,
    harry hole - jo nesbo
    Jack reacher - lee child
    WKarinill Trent - karin slaughter
    Jack caffery by mo hayder,
    Harry bosch by michael connelly
    Carson ryder - ja kerley

Have recently read
    Darby mc cormick - chris mooney
    Helen grace - Mj Arlidge
    Katgryn Dance - Jeffery deaver
    I love a good 'who don it' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What She Left by TR Richmond. Took a while to get into as its told entirely by emails, letters and blogs by various characters but I loved it.

Now reading Normal by Graham Cameron. It's really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Severard wrote: »
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Fairly good book at the moment.

Aye, I thought that book was great, the second one is really good too.

I've just finished two books, Kamikaze Hunters by Will Iredale, a non-fiction book about the pilots of the british aircraft carrier task force fighting the Japanese in the last year of WW2. It gives a really good appreciation of the deprivations of living on a carrier in the tropics and the difficulties of fighting the Japanese.

The second book is No Safe House by Linwood Barclay who is quickly becoming one of my favourite thriller/crime writers, this is the second book I've read of his in the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just started reading Tom Barry IRA Freedom Fighter by Meda Ryan. Currently at the chapter about the Kilmichael Ambush, Good read so far, very interesting person in Irish history as he was one of Ireland's best and most important Guerrilla Leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm reading Philip Pullman's versions of the Grimm Fairytales.

It's not what I thought - I thought there'd be a bit more of his own spin on them, but it's still a good read. He has read lots of different versions of the folktales we know (and some we don't) and written what he considers to be the "best" version of them. At the end of each tale he has a few notes about his choices and mentions similar tales in other cultures and collections.

And good God, they eat people a lot in these stories! Every other person gets turned into a stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I released my first urban fantasy novel, Beyond Night's Dawn on Amazon on saturday night. It's about witches with a new kind of familiar, a plague that decimated humanity, and vampires fighting for the ability to keep their powers during daylight.

If you want to buy it, that'd be great! However it will be going on offer on Thursday from mid-morning until just after the weekend with a free promo on Amazon. I don't know if it'll ever be available for the low-low price of nothing again (Amazon have strict rules about pricing.) I'd love if you took a chance on it, I think it's a compelling read that's well worth a night on the couch with your favourite bottle.

Boards was a huge help to me when I was writing it. Apart from giving me something to read when I was dumbstruck from writing thousands of words, I also had help from a few boardsies who offered invaluable feedback on the first draft, and of course encouragement.

I know there's quite a few readers in this thread who are interested in writing their own novel. I have to say this has been one of the most worthwhile experiences I've done. Reading through my story gives me such a sense of pride, and hearing from the beta readers and boardsies who enjoyed my novel is a feeling like no other. Especially when people say, "I'd have more notes for you but I had to get to the end." If you're thinking of writing something, then do. Sit down every day and write, and whether you write 300 or 3,000 words a day eventually you'll have your own piece of work that you're excited about. It wasn't until recently that I thought I could manage this, but I can and so can any other boardsie who wants to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Well Done you !!! Hope it does brilliantly for you , and the achievement of getting it written and out there , well, be proud of yourself :) Best of Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Finally completed Ken Follett's Fall of Giants (Century Trilogy)

What can I say an epic piece of fiction interwoven into some historical events which I now have a better understanding of. I could see his political leanings clearly from early on but that doesn't detract from the book in anyway. Whilst some of the events and interweaving of characters was laughable it is a book so you need to suspend your disbelief a little or the thread of his story telling is lost.

I'd highly recommend this for anyone who's into historical books and wants to learn a little more about some of the great events of the last century whilst also reading an enjoyable book about some intriguing, very dislikable and reluctant herpo's. Everyone should be able to identify with at least one or two characters within this book and you'll want to read on to find out what happens to them. For anyone that's read the books for me Grigori and Gus are the intriguing ones with Billy also being quiet good.

I've just received the 2nd and 3rd book in the series and the two books from the Pillars of the Earth series. I think its 4,300 pages for the 4 of them but I'm looking forward to it and how my favourite characters and their families will progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I released my first urban fantasy novel, Beyond Night's Dawn on Amazon on saturday night.

We all know your real name now! :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

;) Could be a nom de plume

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Reading "Days of Grace" by Arthur Ashe. While a very inspirational man, I think he contradicts himself at times. He suffered terrible racism over his life and career, and it seemed to have consumed him leaving him confused as how to feel or express himself, with an obligation to make everything sound profound. Some of his opinions on society in general I found a little rich, but it's very interesting so far. His constant positive attitude is mind blowing despite what he went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Green Mile

I'm reading a book called:

"The light we cannot see" by Anthony Doerr

I'm only on chapter 6 and it's an absolute page turner, I find myself organising my routine around this book. I would recommend it to anyone.

Green Mile wrote: »

I'm only on chapter 6 and it's an absolute page turner, I find myself organising my routine around this book. I would recommend it to anyone.

Oh I really enjoyed that book too! Took me a while to get into it but I was hooked after that

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Green Mile wrote: »

I have it waiting on the Kindle for me, once I finish my current book. Glad to hear you recommend it! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Coolhull gave a rave review of it a while back, too. I liked it, but wasn't completely gone on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

My book, Beyond Night's Dawn, about vampires, and witches and plagues is available for free on Amazon for the next few days. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014N0S84M

The hope is enough people download it and read it, so that builds some buzz around it, and my sales shoot up in the weeks and months after.

Finished "Days of Grace" by Arthur Ashe. Can't begin to think what it would have been like to go through AIDS before medecine and treatment improved, but his attitude to everything was nothing short of inspiring.

Back to good old faithful 1984 again now for the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I am currently reading "The Outsider" by Colin Wilson.It's sort of existentialist in nature (it was published at the height of the existentialist movement in 1956).It basically focuses on lives of many people who considered themselves to be outsiders in society.It is a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Tatiana by Martin Cruz Smith. Love the Arkady Renko series.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Just finished "Inheritance" by Christopher Paolini, was well worth a reread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I have Roy Foster's Vivid Faces, about the Irish revolutionary generation, 1890-1923.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Half way through 'Blood Meridian' by Cormac McCarthy.
    Bit drawn out with him describing every little detail for pages but it's meant to pay off and I suppose it adds to his style of writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Half way through 'Blood Meridian' by Cormac McCarthy.
    Bit drawn out with him describing every little detail for pages but it's meant to pay off and I suppose it adds to his style of writing.

I found that his writing style made it a tough read ,but did enjoy it overall and was glad I stuck it out.I thought the ending was good but abrupt ,and only later realized that there was a number of different interpretations about the ending when I googled other peoples reviews.
    James Carlos Blake wrote a similar book (In the rogue Blood) that I enjoyed a lot more overall.As you can see they do have a lot in common :D.....
    Shifting between the brothers' parallel stories, Blake offers a virtual encyclopedia of graphic violence.People are shot, clubbed, knifed, eviscerated, castrated, decapitated, impaled, flayed alive, hanged, scalped, dismembered, blown up, and immolated. And sexual perversions run the gamut from rape to sodomy to incest and necrophilia; only bestiality is omitted.

^^^
    Riveting.... eh, no, thank you...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I found Blood Meridian a bit meandering at times. A good read though, stick with it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Blood Meridian sucked ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

The Dark Tower II The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King ... a lot better then the 1st, looking forward to getting stuck in to the rest of the series now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rosie Gardens

The Dark Tower II The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King ... a lot better then the 1st, looking forward to getting stuck in to the rest of the series now.

Wolves of the Calla is probably the best of the entire series. It's almost stand alone of them all.

Couldn't get enough of the entire Dark Tower series, absolutely loved them, read them over 15years til the last one came out a few years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement