Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Just finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.

Not my usual fodder, but it's a nice readable tale of love, loss and regret.
    Well worth picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

"Skippy Dies". will finish it tomorrow. Didn't take to it at first. Difficult to get 'into'.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Count of Monte Cristo...best I have read, dumas is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

I finished "Hangsaman" by Shirley Jackson last night. An absolutely fascinating book. I gave it 5 stars even though I'm not sure I understood it at all. It was literally one of the most bizarre reading experiences ever. It was like a mix between We have Always Lived in the Castle (by Jackson as well) and The Bell Jar.

I'm currently reading one of the latest instalments to the Edge Chronicles series by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell- a childhood favourite of mine! "The Nameless" one is the first in the new trilogy and so far it's just as fun and imaginative as the other Edge books. Plus Riddell's illustrations are, as always, absolutely amazing. I wish more people read these books because they are SO great and it really is a brilliant and unique children's fantasy series.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ZigZag by Nicholas Booth it is a true story about a British Double Agent who was awarded the Iron Cross by the Nazi's.
    It's mad stuff altogether...

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Rereading The Man Who Mistook His Hat For A Wife

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Rereading The Man Who Mistook His Hat For A Wife

That's a book that has always intrigued me. How are you finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

tampopo wrote: »
    "Skippy Dies". will finish it tomorrow. Didn't take to it at first. Difficult to get 'into'.

My friend Paul wrote that!

I am reading some sword and sorcery thing I found on Kindle. Most of the time I think it must be a YA book, then it's suddenly gruesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

New Home wrote: »
    That's a book that has always intrigued me. How are you finding it?

Very good. I've read quite a few of his books and was sad to see his passing a few weeks ago.
    Have a gander here ......... scroll down to his personal life:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Sacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Have just purchased A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara.

It's supposed to be very tough-going in places, but overall brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

STILL on the Magus by John Fowles.... I got around 2/3 of the way in and decided to stop. It just fell.

Around 2 hours later, after having eaten me up inside that it had been so good, I decided to pick it up again and lo and behold I was sucked right back in. That being said, I cant wait to finish it. Its like hanging out with someone you like, but they are a d1ckhead aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Neither Here Nor There - Bill Bryson

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Neither Here Nor There - Bill Bryson

I love that book so much. I still laugh out loud just remembering certain passages from it.

Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm reading Trunk Music by Michael Connelly.

Really good stuff as usual from him.Harry Bosch is such a great character.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Rereading Transatlantic.

Never finished it the first time.

Enjoyed some of the early historical prose,but it gets sketchy,at the end.

Good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

100 years of Solitude by gabriel garcia marquez. Read it years ago and thought it was the weirdest , amazing book. So thought I'd read it again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    I'm also reading 'The lives she left behind' by James Long, and I like how the story is developing - it's a sequel to 'Ferney', and it was long overdue, in my books - I loved 'Ferney'...

So, I finished this a few days ago - I must say the last few chapters left me disappointed. The book was good throughout, but in the end it felt like the author was either rushed to finish it, or got fed up with the characters - it felt forced, and the ending was only ok. A pity, really.

I've also been reading 'Possession' by A. S. Byatt, I really liked the film, and considering the books are usually better I thought I'd love it. I'm a few chapters in, but I'm not finding it 'unputdownable', it might pick up down the line.

I'm also starting 'A World Elsewhere', by Wayne Johnston, a Canadian writer from Newfoundland. I loved his 'The Colony of Unrequited Dreams' and 'The Custodian Of Paradise', not so much other books he's written. Hopefully this will be a good one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Sergei Malatov

Just finished that. Now reading "Angels Flight".

One thing I dislike about his novels is that a romantic interest has to be shoehorned into every single story and sometimes it is way too contrived; like in the book that preceded Trunk Music, "The Last Coyote".

It's an unwanted distraction.

A lot of the stories - not all - would be better served by focusing on the A story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Finally finished the Magus. As long as it took me and all, I kept thinking about it afterwards... Damn thing. Excellent though

Now reading Going Clear, the book the recent HBO Scientology documentary as based on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Just finished "Make Me" by Lee Child. The 20th Jack Reacher novel. Pretty good, not as good as some of the others though. Standard Jack Reacher book.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That was the first Bosch book I ever read. I nearly have the whole collection now!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    That was the first Bosch book I ever read. I nearly have the whole collection now!

I limit myself to one Bosch book per year, it gives me something to look forward to each year.

Just finished that. Now reading "Angels Flight".

One thing I dislike about his novels is that a romantic interest has to be shoehorned into every single story and sometimes it is way too contrived; like in the book that preceded Trunk Music, "The Last Coyote".

It's an unwanted distraction.

A lot of the stories - not all - would be better served by focusing on the A story.

My boss doesn't like that aspect of them either.To be honest I don't really mind it.It's a pretty staple feature of a lot of books, TV shows, films and I suppose it's done to see the human side of Bosch rather than solely the hard nosed cop side of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Sergei Malatov

I suppose one of my gripes is that he has had several different love interests - and every one seems to be "the one", or his soulmate.

Take "The Last Coyote" for example. Bosch meets a random woman. They get together. Practically <24 hours later they are like a married couple.

That one particularly pissed me off. You could telegraph it from a mile off. His character is running on no sleep, he is battling extreme fatigue, he is on a crusade to find the killer of his mother and he has time to find a love interest when he is on a daytrip to hunt down and interview a potential suspect on the other side of the country.

The book had started with him pining over a previous love interest FGS!

Needless to say, in the next book the relationship is forgotten about and it's on to someone else.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've been chipping away at Infinite Jest for ages now. It's giving me the howling fantods.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just started on Robin Hobb's latest, Fool's Quest :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Been reading the Sherlock Holmes' so I'm just finishing up "Hound of the Baskervilles" before I take a break from them and start "Dune" by Frank Herbert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Making my way through Winter of the World (Book 2 of Century Trilogy) by Ken Follett
    Its set from 1930's to post WW2
    About 300 pages in of about 1,000 pages. Still kind of waiting for it to kick into gear, but its in 1939 so should all kick off shortly. It continues the story of Fall of Giants with the children of the main characters of that book. Still a lot of dislikeable characters within it. But a great page turner, I've gone through the 300 pages without noticing at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm just re-reading some books by Scarlett Thomas.
    I've gone through "The End of Mr Y" last week, and am now re-reading "PopCo". Both are actually almost better than I remember them. Highly unusual books, "The End of Mr Y" explores the ideas of connected consciousness based on some ideas of quantum physics. Essentially a thought experiment.
    "PopCo" focuses on the modern capitalist system, with a lot of code breaking thrown in for good measure.

I had been thinking of giving these books to a good friend of mine in Germany, I know she'd love them. Unfortunately it would seem Scarlett Thomas has never been translated. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement