Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Struggling with Stephen Kings Apt Pupil.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Atonement. I'm enjoying it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Crumpets wrote: »
    Atonement. I'm enjoying it :)

I loved this book! Saw the movie first so knew the plot but I thought the writing was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Is Moby Dick the most poorly written 'classic' novel out there? Making a second attempt on it at the moment and finding it hard going, I previously tried it about 7 years ago and gave up.

I have a feeling it would be thrown back in your face if you tried to get it published these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I couldn't finish Moby Dick either.

It has all the makings of a great book but there is so much textbook like sh1te about the whaling industry in it that it just bored me to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I couldn't finish Moby Dick either.

It has all the makings of a great book but there is so much textbook like sh1te about the whaling industry in it that it just bored me to death.

Yeah the premise is good it's just that it's executed horribly by the author.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Now that sounds like it's worth reading! I think that'll have to go on my list.
    If you're looking for a good autobiography of an epic figure, Peter Ustinovs Dear Me is simply wonderful. He met everyone (nearly) and such a racanteur it's so well worth reading. I loved it!

Also highly recommend David Niven's 'The Moon Is A Balloon', hilarious, regarded as one of the great autobiographies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

"Jennifer Government" by Max Barry. Set in a near future where the USA isessentially ran by cconglomerate corporations.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I liked Moby Dick, there is a great book in there once you power through the whaling encyclopedia :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭antonymin

mattjack wrote: »
    The Rape of Nanking, thank Jebus I,m not Chinese or Japanese

I'm reading "The Devil of Nanking", is that the same basic story? I believe the Japanese are, basically, an evil race, it's in their heritage and their mindset. I will probably get a warning for this post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Barna77 wrote: »
    Reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Same :)

Kinda convenient that I bought a Kindle or else I'd be reaching for the dictionary every ten seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭antonymin

Peregrine wrote: »
    Same :)

Kinda convenient that I bought a Kindle or else I'd be reaching for the dictionary every ten seconds!

I read that the sale of Kindles has dropped and people are going for conventional books. Mind you, that was in the Mail on Line.

About 30 pages into Mr. Mercedes. Good so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Birneybau wrote: »
    Also highly recommend David Niven's 'The Moon Is A Balloon', hilarious, regarded as one of the great autobiographies.

I found this in a tiny pub in the middle of nowhere in France where i was stuck on a job for a few weeks and loved it. brilliant read.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rosie Gardens

Birneybau wrote: »

I'll add that to my list... in his later life he was a great tell of stories in interviews n stuff, so I'd say that's really interesting. My christmas list is getting very big cos of this thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

boobar wrote: »
    Have to say I'm hooked on John Connelly's Charlie Parker Series...

Just started his third offering "The Killing Kind"

A great detective series with Charlie being a very tortured individual with a dark past.

I expect my next post here will be currently reading the fourth novel

As expected...

The last book I read was another of the series Charlie Parker "The White Road".

Just addicted now, this book was a real page turner. Crime novel with a supernatural theme...great characters, great plot.

Thought I'd be picking up the latest Lee Child Jack Reacher novel...but think I'll have one more Charlie Parker fix first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

The Girl Who Walked Home Alone: Bette Davis - A Personal Biography.
    Charlotte Chandler.

Author interviewed Bette Davis extensively in the last decade of her life, resulting in a biography in which the great actress speaks for herself.

You might enjoy Bette and Joan, the divine feud, by Shaun Considine. It's a very entertaining read.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

antonymin wrote: »
    I'm reading "The Devil of Nanking", is that the same basic story? I believe the Japanese are, basically, an evil race, it's in their heritage and their mindset. I will probably get a warning for this post.

Have you ever been to Japan or gotten to know any Japanese people? I visited this year and was impressed by their politeness to everyone, Japanese and otherwise. Almost every race, nation and empire in history has committed atrocities and things they are (or should be) ashamed of, the Japanese don't have a monopoly on "evil". Don't let a book do your thinking for you.

i recently finished "Power" by Robert Greene. A handbook on powermongering with various rules on how to manipulate people, backed up with historical examples, stories, fables etc. I wouldn't recommend following all of its suggestions but it's a great read, especially for students of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've been struggling through Martin Amis' "The Zone of Interest" for weeks now. It's beyond dull. So disappointing that the last book I could read for pleasure before the academic year started again was a dud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Just started Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher offering.

3 chapters in and you can see that it's formulaic but sure what's not to like. So far so good, looking forward to finishing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Aeronaunt Windlass - Jim Butcher: Steampunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Rosita Bolands"Sea legs" and "RAF Biggin Hill" by Graham Wallace.

About 30 pages into Mr. Mercedes. Good so far.

270 pages in. I like what he has done from nearly the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

The Border by Robert mccammon

Did'nt like the start ,but its starting to pick up now.
    Reminds me a bit of "The Stand" or "Swan Song"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

'Carrie' by Stephen King

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Decided to dig into a bit of classical reading, picked up the complete Sherlock Holmes collection and loving it. Read a Study in Scarlet, The Sign of Four and am halfway through The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I remember trying to read The Hound of the Baskervilles when I was like 10, most of the language went over my head no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm actually also reading an Arthur Conan Doyle book. I'm reading The White Company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell (the English translation, not Swedish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Picked up "the mountain shadow" by David Gregory Roberts yesterday and just started it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Picked up "the mountain shadow" by David Gregory Roberts yesterday and just started it.

Let us know how you get on with it. Didn't know he'd written anything after Shantaram

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement