Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Collie D wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on with it. Didn't know he'd written anything after Shantaram

Yeah took him ten years for this one,only released yesterday I think,a fairly hefty book at 873 pages.bit of a slow start to it but its picking up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Yeah took him ten years for this one,only released yesterday I think,a fairly hefty book at 873 pages.bit of a slow start to it but its picking up nicely.

Just Googled it and read back a few pages of the thread. Didn't realise the sequel was out. Read he had planned one but I gave up on it ever being done. Excellent news. I'm definitely in the Shantaram lover camp on this thread - Boards' Marmite book I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

boobar wrote: »
    As expected...

The last book I read was another of the series Charlie Parker "The White Road".

Just addicted now, this book was a real page turner. Crime novel with a supernatural theme...great characters, great plot.

Thought I'd be picking up the latest Lee Child Jack Reacher novel...but think I'll have one more Charlie Parker fix first.

John's doing a book signing tomorrow afternoon (Sunday 18th) at 4pm in Dubray Books on Grafton St. Nice bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Collie D wrote: »
    Just Googled it and read back a few pages of the thread. Didn't realise the sequel was out. Read he had planned one but gave up on it. Excellent news. I'm definitely in the Shantaram lover camp on this thread - Boards' Marmite book I think.

Yeah forgot to drop that in there that's its the sequel to shantaram,seen it was released on my facebook yesterday and was in omni and chanced easons to see if they had it!.....very first book when i walked through the door!.One of my favourite books too :) almost transports you to Bombay ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

boobar wrote: »
    As expected...

The last book I read was another of the series Charlie Parker "The White Road".

Just addicted now, this book was a real page turner. Crime novel with a supernatural theme...great characters, great plot.

Thought I'd be picking up the latest Lee Child Jack Reacher novel...but think I'll have one more Charlie Parker fix first.

I read the first 4 Charlie Parker novels.They were good but I thought they were veering too much into the supernatural in the 3rd and 4th books.

The first 2 were great books as there was an balance between the supernatural and reality but the 3rd and 4th although good but weren't quite on the same level and I haven't read one in 4 or 5 years.

I've no problem with anything far fetched in books but I thought the shift in balance took away something from them.

• Advertisement

I read the first 4 Charlie Parker novels.They were good but I thought they were veering too much into the supernatural in the 3rd and 4th books.

The first 2 were great books as there was an balance between the supernatural and reality but the 3rd and 4th although good but weren't quite on the same level and I haven't read one in 4 or 5 years.

I've no problem with anything far fetched in books but I thought the shift in balance took away something from them.

I thought the same. Still think the first was the best because it was more of a straightforward "troubled ex-cop chasing sick bastard" thriller than a horror. There is definitely a shift and I wasn't a fan of the more supernatural element but did get into it eventually.

That said there are some wonderfully evil baddies in the series. For what it's worth the most recent one or two seem to take a shift back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Heirs to forgotten kingdoms: journeys into the disappearing religions of the middle east by Gerard Russell.

Interesting look at the minor religions of the Middle East and their evolution and influence on todays major religions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Just started In The Dark - Richard Laymon. Just finished his Blood Games, which was very entertaining. He's definitely someone you have to know what you're getting before you read him or you'll probably hate it. I always think of his novels as the literary equivalent of 80s slasher movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Discovery of Heaven by Harry Mulisch, a bit ploddy but I'm enjoying it and Eeny Meeny by MJ Arlidge which is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Started All the Light We Cannot See. Very good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Reading Kate Adie's "The kindness of strangers" , about her time as a war reporter. Finding it very good, and her style of writing and wit make it an enjoyable read

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

eviltwin wrote: »
    Eeny Meeny by MJ Arlidge which is excellent
    +1 a great read & her other books are as good too.

Finished reading Mr. Mercedes. Good book. Now about two thirds of the way through station 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Finished reading Mr. Mercedes. Good book. Now about two thirds of the way through station 11.

I LOVED Station 11. How are you finding it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Me too! I loved how it wasn't just a typical "end of the world" story, there was so much about human relationships. It gave me a lot to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I am about hallway thru. Not his best work IMO. But if a struggle but I refuse to give in:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Carlo Ancelotti

Reading "Killing Pablo". Hard to put down
    The Hunt for the World's Greatest Outlaw is a book by Mark Bowden that details the efforts by the governments of the United States and Colombia to track down Pablo Escobar , the king of Cocaine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Aglomerado wrote: »

I'm reading it at the moment too. I'm really enjoying it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Just finished Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth (I'm on a classics binge at the moment). Always loved that book. Not decided on what to read next. Dracula was before that. Eyeballing Frankenstein, but the story's so depressing I'm not sure I could get through it. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Have you read any Lovecraft? He wrote great classic horror stories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I have just finished reading The Gingerman by JP Donleavy.

Its a great read. Who would have known that Dublin in the early 50s was such a hedonistic place??!! Apparently it could get made in to a movie...that would be fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Custardpi wrote: »
    Have you read any Lovecraft? He wrote great classic horror stories.

Yeah, there was a big beautifully bound copy of the Necronomicon lying around the house for years (rather shamefully being used as a doorstop!) - despite the name, it was just one of the big collections of his short stories. Liked a good few of them, found some a bit repetitive.

Hrm, maybe I'll hunt up Around the World in 80 Days; I've never been quite sure if I've actually read it or just absorbed the story somehow :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Carlo Ancelotti

If you like horror/suspense I would recommend Ghost Story by Peter Straub. A definite classic

• Registered Users Posts: 49 gherkin

Dive Into Python 3

Samaris wrote: »
    Just finished Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth (I'm on a classics binge at the moment). Always loved that book. Not decided on what to read next. Dracula was before that. Eyeballing Frankenstein, but the story's so depressing I'm not sure I could get through it. Any suggestions?

Count of Monte Cristo. A brick of a book but written in short chapters so never a slog and you'll probably fly through it.

Reminds me I have been meaning to read more Dumas. Have read that and Three Musketeers and love his style and of course the stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Just finished The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson and Me Before You by JoJo Moyes while on holidays recently. Would recommend both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Currently reading The Epic Of Gilgamesh. A sadly incomplete epic poem that was originally written in Cuneiform on clay tablets in ancient Babylon which tells the story of a king's search for immortality. Although there's a lot of gaps in the story there's clearly a great adventure being told & it's fascinating to read one of the earliest known works of literature that mankind created & which was clearly influential on many works, both secular & spiritual (including the Bible) which came after it. Unfortunately the current state of Iraq & Syria, where the ancient tablets were discovered & pieced together over decades, mean that it may be many years if ever before the complete poem can be read. For all that though the incomplete version, with its heroes & gods is well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I've recently started reading House of Leaves, having heard a lot of good things about it.
    I'm enjoying it so far. Even after a few days it's already very creepy, and the layered structure really sucks you into it, rather than distancing you from the core story, as I'd feared.

If your tastes run to the macabre, then try the collected short stories of M.R James. They're very quaint and politely English on the surface, but they're completely terrifying and quite varied.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I loved Frankenstein for what it's worth, well worth a read. Plus its not huge and the language isn't very difficult so you get through it handy enough.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement