Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I LOVED Station 11. How are you finding it?

I quite enjoyed it. Liked the way it all ties together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I quite enjoyed it. Liked the way it all ties together.

No spoilers, Dazzler! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Collie D wrote: »
    Count of Monte Cristo. A brick of a book but written in short chapters so never a slog and you'll probably fly through it.

I have it on my shelf for the last 5 years but I don't think I'll ever get around to it because of it's size.I think it's about 1200 pages (big pages) long and I only get around 45 minutes per day when I'm fresh and able to read properly so it would probably take me 6 months to read it.I have Lonesome Dove as well which has a similar length and I don't think I'll get around to reading either of them unless I'm ever unemployed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Read 'Slade House' by David Mitchell in about a day! Highly enjoyable companion piece to 'The Bone Clocks' but a creepy little story in and of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fanatics2014

The ego trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I have it on my shelf for the last 5 years but I don't think I'll ever get around to it because of it's size.I think it's about 1200 pages (big pages) long and I only get around 45 minutes per day when I'm fresh and able to read properly so it would probably take me 6 months to read it.I have Lonesome Dove as well which has a similar length and I don't think I'll get around to reading either of them unless I'm ever unemployed again.

I get you but it grabs you in so much you might be surprised how quickly you get through it. I would usually only read just before sleeping.

Conversely, I am still only about three quarters of the way through Stephen King's "The Tommyknockers" after about two months. I don't hate it and I want to see how it turns out but just can't lose myself in it. More scifi than horror which might be it. I think I read somewhere that King himself hated it. Definitely not one of his better works and doesn't have his usual grab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Almost through 700 pages of the Winter of the World by Ken Follett
    A monster at 900 pages and have 1200 pages of Edge of Eternity to finish the Century trilogy.
    Great reading thus far, the time flies by and he keeps you gripped through several interweaved story lines. Just when you wonder whats happening with certain characters they appear within a few pages. Its well paced, plenty of detail but not too much.
    Have his Pillars of the Earth books at the bedside to read after this. Lots more books too still to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

Its absolutely brilliant so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Psycho by Robert Bloch. No need to say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Finished All the Light We Cannot See and loved it. So beautifully written, and a moving story too.

I splurged and got myself a copy of Bill Bryson's new book, The Road to Little Dribbling, the follow-up to Notes From a Small Island. I'm enjoying it so far but it doesn't have quite as many of the laugh-out-loud moments as some of his other books. In parts it feels quite Grumpy Old Man-ish, with rants about 'idiot' shop/restaurant staff, and about current British government policy, particularly surrounding the environment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

"Bobby Moore: The Man in Full" by Matt Dickinson
    It is a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Just finished Lee Child's 20th Jack Reacher offering.

A bit hit and miss to be honest. Feels like he's going through the motions, storyline wasn't that great, no significant villain in the story. That said, I've read worse.

Back to John Connolly's Charlie Parker series I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I preordered Stephen King's new short story collection, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, from Amazon for a great price.

It was dispatched today and I'm giddily excited about getting stuck in - I love the short story collections even more than the novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Gods of Guilt - Michael Connelly

I was thinking that something wasn't right when I was reading it and I figured out that I skipped a book so The Fifth Witness is the next on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I preordered Stephen King's new short story collection, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, from Amazon for a great price.

It was dispatched today and I'm giddily excited about getting stuck in - I love the short story collections even more than the novels.

Yea, he really excels when it comes to short stories. I think I will ask santa for this one though. I've 11/22/63 to complete before the miniseries comes out in Feb

Last To Die - by Tess Gerritsen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I read both Frankenstein and Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Don't get the fuss about them.
    Letdown

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"The Shock of the New" by Robert Hughes about the rise of modern art from the early 20th century. I loved the TV series as a kid back in the early 80's so sourced a first edition of the "book of the programme" a few weeks back. Loving it.

Also reading "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer about the Eastern Front in WW2 from a German(well Franco German) ordinary soldier's viewpoint. Hard going. I dunno how they survived that. On any side. You'd swear they made them differently back then. Snagged that as a first edition too. I prefer the early edition WW2 stuff, because usually they're cheaper and you can get the first thoughts before they're updated and all too often sanitised in later editions.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

gutenberg wrote: »
    Finished All the Light We Cannot See and loved it. So beautifully written, and a moving story too.

I'm reading it at the moment, enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I just finished I am Pilgrim. If you like a fast paced thriller, packed full of information, I'd recommend it, couldn't put it down actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Wibbs wrote: »
    "The Shock of the New" by Robert Hughes about the rise of modern art from the early 20th century. I loved the TV series as a kid back in the early 80's so sourced a first edition of the "book of the programme" a few weeks back. Loving it.
    Asides from some dated production, the show has aged fairly well imo! Keep meaning to get around to the book so I actually retain some of the info. Is it structured very similarly to the show?

Currently reading Universal Principles of Design, it's basically all stuff I'm already aware of but it's fun to have it all explained out. Definitely not lightweight but the way it's all divided out could make it a pretty great bathroom book too.

Also reading a 600 page book about Ruby on Rails ...it's definitely not a bathroom book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Count of Monte Cristo. Flew through it, excellent page turner.
    Barna77 wrote: »
    I read both Frankenstein and Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Don't get the fuss about them.
    Letdown

I love Frankenstein. The romance of the writing was irresistible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Asides from some dated production, the show has aged fairly well imo! Keep meaning to get around to the book so I actually retain some of the info. Is it structured very similarly to the show?
    Kinda, as easy to access as the show, but much more in depth and much more of his writing style coming out. He wasn't a man who bought into the bullshít. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

Its absolutely brilliant so far

Bryson is a great writer. A Short History is his best work. Phenomenal book.

Pompeii Robert Harris. I'm enjoying more than I thought I would. Interesting to see where the storyline goes from roughly 100 pages in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Pompeii Robert Harris. I'm enjoying more than I thought I would. Interesting to see where the storyline goes from roughly 100 pages in.

I have that somewhere in the house,never got around to reading it,might give it a go next.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm kind of annoyed with myself that I started with that one. None of his others have been as near as good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm kind of annoyed with myself that I started with that one. None of his others have been as near as good imo.

A Short History is great, I agree. However, Notes From a Big Country still makes me laugh in a tea-through-the-nose way that the others don't, and is my personal favourite still.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

On a Bryson tip, I'm currently reading 'At Home' which is essentially 'Short history...' of domesticity. Fascinating, usual wtf on every page, in a good way.

Gonna pick up latest 'Rebus' book by Ian Rankin, think it's released today?

I stopped reading 'The Martian' when I decided I actually fcuking hated it, the writing, the terrible characters, the fact that the main event of the book can't actually happen. If I had a physical copy I would have thrown it in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

gutenberg wrote: »
    A Short History is great, I agree. However, Notes From a Big Country still makes me laugh in a tea-through-the-nose way that the others don't, and is my personal favourite still.

Have read many of his books & have to say that "Neither Here Nor There" remains my own favourite. An account of travelling in Europe shortly after the fall of communism in the Eastern Bloc. Absolutely fascinating snapshot of that period of great transition in the continent's history, told with his usual humourous eye for detail.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement