Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Shenshen wrote: »
    Everytime I finish The Lord of the Rings. I always have the impulse to start it over again right away, cause I don't want it to be over.

That doesn't happen with the films, though.
    I've started reading LOTR every August, it's like meeting an old friend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've started reading The Fool's Errand from the Tawny Man Trilogy by Robin Hobb.
    It's so good to have Fitzchivalry back!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've started reading The Fool's Errand from the Tawny Man Trilogy by Robin Hobb.
    It's so good to have Fitzchivalry back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Flying through Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile. Quick engaging read...really enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Nearly finished Wild by Cheryl Strayed and I'm enjoying it. It's her memoir while trekking through the Pacific Crest Trail in the U.S. and it's wonderfully refreshing, she's so flawed and so very real. Great for anyone interested in travel and the complexities of the human spirit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I've picked up Vivid Faces by Roy Foster again, after leaving it down about halfway through. It's very erudite, but also very well written, and funny in places too, about the 'revolutionary' generation in Irish history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm reading Prayers for Rain by Denis Lehane .

Top notch stuff as usual the Kenzie and Gennaro books are always good and I'm sad that I'll only have one more after this one.

I really wish I hadn't seen Gone Baby Gone before I read the book as I think the book would have been even better if I'd come in completely fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I read The Road a few years ago as well and really enjoyed it. I really should have gotten around to another Cormac McCarthy book before now.

You should try the Border Trilogy all 3 are masterpieces but the first of the trilogy All The Pretty Horses is my all time favourite book it's pure perfection in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Sue Perkins - Spectacles, fairly funny, she's been through a fair bit of serious stuff in her life but she tries to bring across the funny side of it. I enjoyed it.

Reading The Green Road by Ann Enright - has anyone else read this? I'm half way through and not loving it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Reading The Green Road by Ann Enright - has anyone else read this? I'm half way through and not loving it at all.

I read it back in August. It has its moments, but overall is quite melancholy and I felt a bit depressed on finishing it. It's well written though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Bazaar of Bad Dreams, short stories by Stephen King. A couple of them have stayed with me, seriously creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

73Cat wrote: »
    Bazaar of Bad Dreams, short stories by Stephen King. A couple of them have stayed with me, seriously creepy.

Santa is bringing me this..........if I am a good boy! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

Sue Perkins - Spectacles, fairly funny, she's been through a fair bit of serious stuff in her life but she tries to bring across the funny side of it. I enjoyed it.

I'm looking for a good autobiography to read over Christmas. I got the Graham Norton one last year which I really enjoyed. I may get the Sue Perkins one. Can anyone recommend any other autobiographies? Also has anyone read the new Mindy Kaling book? I read the one called 'Is everyone hanging out without me' which I enjoyed.

I recently read 'The girl with seven names' which is about a North Korean who escapes and how she deals with life outside of North Korea. Actually a very interesting, if quite depressing read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Das Reboot. About rebuilding German soccer in the bough ties to win the World Cup in 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

'My Fight, Your Fight' ~ Ronda Rousey

And a surprisingly good read it is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alane20

Compared to some of the titles in this thread so far I feel like a 5 year old, but I'm reading seedless in seattle Ross o'caroll kelly

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

alane20 wrote: »
    Compared to some of the titles in this thread so far I feel like a 5 year old, but I'm reading seedless in seattle Ross o'caroll kelly

Nothing wrong with a light read :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

alane20 wrote: »
    I still have to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,643 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I go back to Ross like a comfort blanket every so often. Some of his lines are laugh out loud funny.

Love how Paul Howard keeps the character going on Twitter.
    Recent tweet during Rugby World Cup Final:

Ross: You booed Dan Corter.
    Kylie Minnogue: But we could still make love.
    Ross: You booed Dan Corter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn a few days ago. It's a brilliant book. The complexity of the story reminded me of James Ellroy while the style reminded me of Brett Easton Ellis.

More twists and turns than a rollercoaster and more gripping than an arm wrestling championship, definitely well worth the read. It's a fascinating character study and a good look into the ongoings of a bonkers relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I'm reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed at the moment. I've actually already seen the film 3 times. Needless to say I'm a bit obsessed :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've started The Boy in the Stripped Pygamas recently.
    Finally finished Infinite Jest again and it was amazing this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I read Freakonomics recently, and another by the same authors.
    Partway through Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm looking for a good autobiography to read over Christmas. I got the Graham Norton one last year which I really enjoyed. I may get the Sue Perkins one. Can anyone recommend any other autobiographies? Also has anyone read the new Mindy Kaling book? I read the one called 'Is everyone hanging out without me' which I enjoyed.
    Bossypants by Tina Fey.

Born Standing Up by Steve Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Bruce lee striking thoughts.

Very interesting read. Talks about so many different facets of life. (also dirt cheap on amazon right now too :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I recently read 'The girl with seven names' which is about a North Korean who escapes and how she deals with life outside of North Korea. Actually a very interesting, if quite depressing read.

Michael Mc Intyres autobiography is brilliant. Very funny. I've just downloaded David Walliams' autobiography to start tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Anyone else get really sad when you finish reading a book? :o
    Yeah ,it happens from time to time depending on the book.While it has happened with various books over the years, the two that saddened me the most upon finishing where both read a long time back. Coincidentally both were by the same author (Wallace Breem),but read years apart.
    Funny as I did'nt like his third book much.(he only wrote three)

I still think of both the books and the characters involved.

The Leopard and the Cliff and Eagle in the Snow where the two books concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I downloaded The Girl on the Train, but not read it yet. Does it live up to the hype?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I got given two slightly unusual books for my birthday, "The kangaroo chronicles" and "The kangaroo manifesto" (both in German). I've just finished reading the second one and I simply loved them. It's been a long time since a book had made me laugh so hard, I actually had to put it down.

The story (a bit weird, but bear with me) is about a communist kangaroo who is house-sharing an apartment in Berlin with a part-time singer-songwriter and political poet.
    They both have a lot of time on their hands and a little more brains than is strictly speaking good for them, so they find ways of entertaining themselves.
    At one point, the kangaroo starts graffitting the neighbourhood with mis-attributed quotes : "Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" - Kim Jong Un. Or "Work shall set you free" - Steve Jobs. "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Stevie Wonder
    And they've got this competition going who can best insult other people without them even realising.

Unfortunately, I can't imagine these books will ever be published in English :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just finished League of Denial by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Steve Fainaru

It's about the issue of concussions in American Football, I found it to be a grim but fascinating read, there is a lot of detail about the last few years of ex-player Mike Webster and his descent into madness, after he died his brain was examined and it was found to be damaged due to all the blows he took to the head.

For a long time the NFL downplayed the link between repeated blows to the head and brain damage for fear it could damage their business, their attitude was compared to that of tobacco companies downplaying the links between lung cancer and smoking.

The book has had some effect in that a highly rated young player Chris Borland retired from the sport after reading it, he decided his health was more important than being chewed up and spit out by the NFL machine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement