Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MDwyer

downloaded the girl with the dragon tattoo series. only seen the craig movie version so gonna read the series before watching the swedish version which is meant to be brilliant

Finished pompeii. Did not really enjoy it. The storyline felt easy to predict. Have moved on to every dead thing, about 60 pages in. Good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

On the second book of the Wool Trilogy, really enjoyed the first one and the second one is very good too. I love anything post apocalyptic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Finished pompeii. Did not really enjoy it. The storyline felt easy to predict.

I like a lot of Robert Harris, but Pompeii is definitely one of his weaker ones alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

On the second book of the Wool Trilogy, really enjoyed the first one and the second one is very good too. I love anything post apocalyptic

Lucky you! I'd love to be able to read it for the first time again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Just finished "Keep The River On Your Right" by Tobias Schneebaum, an American artist. While staying at a remote mission in the Peruvian Amazon in the 1950s he heard first hand of an incident where one of the local native villages had been almost completely massacred by a marauding tribe of cannibals. Fascinated by the story he decided to seek out this tribe & ended up joining them, learning their language & completely immersing himself in their lifestyle.
    There's apparently a fair amount of exaggeration & distortion in the work going by later reviews but it's an interesting account of one man's wanderings in search of meaning & an exploration of the extent to which we are trapped as well as aided by our own culture & conventions.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Have started The Kite Runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

I don't know if I mentioned this before but A thousand splendid suns is very good. Often I find myself forgetting plot lines of a book but I will never forget this book. It is hauntingly quite brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I don't know if I mentioned this before but A thousand splendid suns is very good. Often I find myself forgetting plot lines of a book but I will never forget this book. It is hauntingly quite brilliant.

And there's another brilliant one with a similar setting called Mornings in Jenin. Absolutely heartbreaking.

I bought a book called Dublin Seven by Frankie Gaffney this morning. It was an impulse purchase, I was in the mechanics waiting room waiting for my car to be done and there was an interview with the author on Rte so I said feck it, it'll give me something to do if I download it. Not too sure if I'm gonna like it yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

madmaggie wrote: »
    I downloaded The Girl on the Train, but not read it yet. Does it live up to the hype?

I really enjoyed it. Prepare to shout "NO NO NO DON'T DO IT!!!" over and over at the main character though. She's a bit needy and hard to feel sympathy for her but if you can get over that, it's a great whodunit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I really enjoyed it. Prepare to shout "NO NO NO DON'T DO IT!!!" over and over at the main character though. She's a bit needy and hard to feel sympathy for her but if you can get over that, it's a great whodunit :)

I can't stand needy characters, either real or fictional. Thanks for the warning, or else the kindle was gone out the window:D

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

Finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn a few days ago. It's a brilliant book. The complexity of the story reminded me of James Ellroy while the style reminded me of Brett Easton Ellis.

More twists and turns than a rollercoaster and more gripping than an arm wrestling championship, definitely well worth the read. It's a fascinating character study and a good look into the ongoings of a bonkers relationship.

In fairness Gone Girl has nothing in common with Bret Easton Ellis. It's a decent, and well enough written thriller, but not on Easton Ellis' level (even if he has not fulfilled his talent as he should).

Interesting to note, perhaps, that the last few pages of Lunar Park are an explicit 'homage' to the closing passages of The Dead.

Book i'm reading at the moment is Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess. Extremely well written and an interesting intellectual and social history of the 20th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I started Deep South by Paul Theroux today. It's my first Paul Theroux book so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

'Burning Room' by Michael Connelly. From his Harry Bosch series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography by Mike Tyson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I started Deep South by Paul Theroux today. It's my first Paul Theroux book so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

I've read quite a few of his books. He is great at really capturing the atmosphere, and drawing the reader right into the travel experience. On the other hand, he can be a a self pitying, snobbish, arrogant twit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Just started the Foxcatcher.

Didn't see the movie - looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Finished Brideshead Revisited.
    Well, that was a nice surprise. Somehow I had the idea it was going to be something deep and a bit of a bore (it belongs to my housemate, and some of his books proved to be a pain to read :/). I was so wrong there though. True the tone of the third part is different to the previous two, which felt like Ross O'Carroll-Kelly in Downton Abbey, without sleeping with girls haha The mention of the wife came out of nowhere...
    Nice read.

Now, it's my second try at Paradise Lost. See if I finish it this time....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Black Swan Green by David Mitchell. It's a really good read so far, very impressive how a man in his 40s can remember so well what it was like to have the mind of a 13 year old boy and paint a picture that pulls you right back in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ansum

Just recently I've really gotten into reading all genres of books.
    ATM I'm reading Empire Of The Sun. Only recently started it so can't give a review, yet.
    I seem to be picking out a lot of novels that have gotten their ideas or are based on wars in the past like: WWI and WW2.
    Before I started this book I had read Catch 22, definitely humorous and emotionally striking. Maybe it was the book or that I got into it way too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

I just finished Villette by Charlotte Brontë. It took me a long time to get through because of the language and prose but I'm really glad I read it - what an ending!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Just finished Boy by Roald Dahl. I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Just started Pet Sematary. About a fifth of the way through and really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

KH25 wrote: »
    Just started Pet Sematary. About a fifth of the way through and really enjoying it so far.

I read that years ago. It's so scary (I thought so anyway) and I was terrified of the movie.
    Enjoy.

For the first time in ages I am not reading anything. Hopefully Santa will bring me some new books.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭LittleMuppet

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern. For the 5th time. Hopefully Santy brings me some new reads for Christmas!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Lads, you can still go to the library, while you wait for Santa!

Just finished reading 'Possession' by A.S. Byatt, good enough in parts but very heavy going in others, and quite unlike the film. All in all, only 'meh'. I think the main problem is that I realised I don't like her style of writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 P1nkSheep

Jennifer Saunders autobiography - quite amusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The Silk Roads: A New History of the World (Peter Frankopan)

Best looking book cover I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

'The Lost Symbol' by Dan Brown.

Would probably be a good book if Tom Hanks didn't star in my imagination of the lead character Dr. Robert Langdon.

Have this strange opinion that once a character has been put to film from a novel then it's pointless carrying on with the books as all the readers see is the actors portrayal of their characters in their imagination and then all the fun is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Around 70 pages away from finishing The Secret History by Donna Tartt and I love it. I think it it one of my favourite books of the year! Must go on to read The Goldfinch at some point as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement